Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:10 PM
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Discussion
Opinion on price and setup: F550 Wookong w/ Sony NEX5

I am looking to add a reliable hexa to my aerial filming fleet and ran across a seemingly healthy DJI F550 setup. The guy with this setup has a $2,000 asking price which I think may be very fair. What is your opinion on this setup and price?
  • Tiger motor MT2216-11 kv900
  • Graupner 9" props
  • Dji 30a Opto speed controllers
  • Dji Wookong M
  • Photohigher AV130
  • Sony NEX 5
  • Hdmi to analog converter
  • Fatshark goggles and Video TX
  • High skid landing gear with battery tray
  • (6) Grayson 4s 5000mah bats
  • Hyperion 720 bat charger/balancer
CCW Chris is online now Find More Posts by CCW Chris
Last edited by CCW Chris; Jul 23, 2014 at 01:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Anyone?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Jan 2014
455 Posts
Motors are maxed out. Find out what the All Up Weight is at take-off with camera and battery.
Then, I can run an E-calc and see what's left over for lift.

The Wookong controller is nice-but over-kill. and, they're expensive.

I don't know if the price is "fair" or not-that's not for me to decide. But, 22mm motors, with 9" props, even on 4S, isn't going to lift much more
Also-never heard of those batteries before...not that it's bad.
I have the Hyperion IOS net 720i charger and it's great.

Find out the weight, and what flight times he's getting. Also, find out the pitch of the props....are they 9X5", or 9X4"...the first number is the length and the 2nd number is the pitch.

OH-also get some un-edited video shot with that set-up. so you can see how it handles vibrations, etc.
havasuphoto is offline Find More Posts by havasuphoto
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, CA, NORTHRIDGE
Joined Nov 2013
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW Chris View Post
I am looking to add a reliable hexa to my aerial filming fleet and ran across a seemingly healthy DJI F550 setup. The guy with this setup has a $2,000 asking price which I think may be very fair. What is your opinion on this setup and price?
  • Tiger motor MT2216-11 kv900
  • Graupner 9" props
  • Dji 30a Opto speed controllers
  • Dji Wookong M
  • Photohigher AV130
  • Sony NEX 5
  • Hdmi to analog converter
  • Fatshark goggles and Video TX
  • High skid landing gear with battery tray
  • (6) Grayson 4s 5000mah bats
  • Hyperion 720 bat charger/balancer
That's a great setup!! Did he tell the flights with that heavy of craft?
I ran those same motors on my hex.. tho I had some arm extensions ran 11x47 I did not have NEX 5 on it.. had a GoPro3+ cm3000 3axis gimbal.
Can I ask what are you looking to do? Fun or business?
Being in the tv production business it is extremely hard to shoot with these!! Insurance and such!! you would have to be on private property and no one around to shoot!!! TV production insurance company's want a craft certification and pilot certification!!! and with the FAA doing what it is doing... NO tv production will want to take the chance!!! UNLESS you are Comcast or Fox.. then you have plenty of money to pay fines and injuries!! Just in case!!
My opinion is get a Arris M680 or bigger... MUCH better flying and stable!!
Ask to see some of footage shooting with that !!

Wookong is not over kill if you shooting video... it has a great POI function!!
D Dale is online now Find More Posts by D Dale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2014
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Dale View Post
I ran those same motors on my hex.. tho I had some arm extensions ran 11x47 I did not have NEX 5 on it.. had a GoPro3+ cm3000 3axis gimbal.
Being in the tv production business it is extremely hard to shoot with these!! Insurance and such!! you would have to be on private property and no one around to shoot!!! TV production insurance company's want a craft certification and pilot certification!!! and with the FAA doing what it is doing... NO tv production will want to take the chance!!! UNLESS you are Comcast or Fox.. then you have plenty of money to pay fines and injuries!! Just in case!!

True-forgot about that.

Also-have they solved the Moire problem on the Sony Nex camera's? Every one I've seen-Nex 5 and 7 have terrible Moire on certain patterns like adobe rooftops, making the footage almost unusable, in my opinion.

Another thing I would ask is; what len(es) come with the camera. What is lens is the gibmal set-up with? I'm not familiar at all with that Gimbal....is it only 2-axis?
Need weight, and footage from the aircraft.

As for advise on Production Shooting, D Dale has that covered
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:52 PM
OldOne
United States, TX, Groves
Joined Aug 2013
73 Posts
Quote:

Worth the money but those motors are pushed to the limits. Upgrade the motors/props... I would not put anything valuable on it for fear of bearing or motor failure in flight...
losthislove67 is offline Find More Posts by losthislove67
Old Jul 23, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Quote:

I have looked at the Arris M680. Where is the best place to get the best details? Direct from Hobby Wing?
Last edited by CCW Chris; Jul 23, 2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Quote:

He said 12 minutes.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2013
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCW Chris View Post
I have looked at the Arris M680. Where is the best place to get the best details? Direct from Hobby Wing?
YES... they have package deals... frame only, frame esc, motors only, Frame, Motors,esc, Naza v2 or Lite UN-assabled same then RTF
I bought mine just frame esc motors... already had the Naza v2!!
or ebay... but it come from Hobby wing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-M680-C...item2a399e8be3

That's where I got mine!! 3 days to my door.. But I think I upgraded to Fed-ex or DHL.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2013
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuphoto View Post
True-forgot about that.

Also-have they solved the Moire problem on the Sony Nex camera's? Every one I've seen-Nex 5 and 7 have terrible Moire on certain patterns like adobe rooftops, making the footage almost unusable, in my opinion.

Another thing I would ask is; what len(es) come with the camera. What is lens is the gibmal set-up with? I'm not familiar at all with that Gimbal....is it only 2-axis?
Need weight, and footage from the aircraft.

As for advise on Production Shooting, D Dale has that covered
Back in the old days of standard def TV... My god any kind of pattern would do that... I think it is because of the AVCHD codec they use!! compressed video!!
there are tricks you can do to stop it... slight defocus..
I have not seen that problem with my Nex5.. but then again I am using the 18mm-50mm standard lens!!!
Maybe I will go look at some footage i shot and see if I have that!!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 03:41 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,015 Posts
Chris, I thought you were getting H500.
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2014
455 Posts
Quote:
Back in the old days of standard def TV... My god any kind of pattern would do that... I think it is because of the AVCHD codec they use!! compressed video!!
there are tricks you can do to stop it... slight defocus..
I have not seen that problem with my Nex5.. but then again I am using the 18mm-50mm standard lens!!!
Maybe I will go look at some footage i shot and see if I have that!!
I think the reason the Nex do that is they don't have an anti-aliasing filter over the CMOS chip-can you confirm?

Every camera I've seen w/o an AA filter will do that. But, they do look very sharp w/o the filter. just have to avoid patterns like fences and certain roofs.

12 minutes flight time, at what weight? I'm thinking it's at least 2800 grams.....

I would upgrade the motors(28XX series)/props/bigger arms(800mm), before the 1st flight. Go with 12" props, 4S....and I'd like to see the video of how well that gimbal functions. I know there are some good ones out there, but they require a lot of tinkering to get it right.
Also-don't forget; the Go Pro 4 is only about 4 or 5 months away!!!

That's all I have to offer.......
Last edited by havasuphoto; Jul 23, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 05:19 PM
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Chris, I thought you were getting H500.
I am but I am still waiting on it to arrive. I'm not going to count on it being part of the fleet until it's tested.