HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2014, 07:07 PM
United States, WA, Sequim
Joined Jun 2007
57 Posts
Discussion
Wing tip float clearance

A quick question about strut length for wing tip mounted floats on flying boats.
If the aircraft is sitting at rest wings level should the tip floats be A: just be clear of the water? B: be clear of the water by a margin (say a 1/2" ) C: clear of the water by a lot more? Any rules of thumb?
I realized that the aircraft will always tilt to one side at rest before you add power and that you have to lift the down wing with rudder or aileron as the aircraft picks up speed.

Fair winds
Robert
airbus1 is offline Find More Posts by airbus1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 07:30 PM
United States, WA, Sequim
Joined Jun 2007
57 Posts
Wing tip float clearance

I should gave said we had problems today getting the aircraft to track straight transitioning to the step. The float drag always seemed to pull the aircraft off to a side ...equally , seemed random. If you have knowledge and experience please weigh in.

Fair winds
Robert
airbus1 is offline Find More Posts by airbus1
Old Jul 05, 2014, 02:05 AM
build like there is no 2moz
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Apr 2009
797 Posts
My understanding (for planes with ailerons) is to have both floats just clear of the water (say 1/2inch) at rest, its then worth 'holding' the plane is the water at its planning attitude (I,e the step only just submerged) to check clearance here - you need a fair bit to prevent ground looping)
Most modellers also aim for a slightly higher attitude (nose up) on the floats then is scale, to help them plane/ bounce of any slight contact.
I'd say yours are too long.
Scott
wallis_100 is offline Find More Posts by wallis_100
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:04 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,887 Posts
Robert, I posted a couple of pictures in your other thread --

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197404
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:43 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
It should float level unless there is a cross wind , check your balance from side to side .
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:03 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,532 Posts
I think the floats should be clear of the water at rest by at least 1" each side (for a 6 - 8' span model). Real planes had clearance both sides.

I calm conditions you can get away with less, but in a slight chop (say 6' scale waves) the floats will catch in a random way. Getting the model responsive to ailerons is key and this need only be a 5 or 10 mph, certainly not at step speed, and the floats should be clear of the water at this speed.

Holding up elevator until the model is balanced helps a lot and keeps the floats at the optimum angle to the water. I agree that testing static lateral balance is important.

Good luck!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:10 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,596 Posts
I've always had mine both barely touching at rest,, both out of the water on step

Looking at your pics,, you may need more angle, I typically deviate from the scale angle to allow them to act more like water skis

good luck
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Today, 07:33 PM
winnipeg
Joined Jan 2004
156 Posts
Have them out of the water at rest, mine are about an inch. Also very important is the angle of the float bottom, it should be generous so the back end contacts the water first. Flat bottom floats offer the best water "lift" and least water drag for models, but are not an option if you are building scale.
Here is an O.D. that has very good water handling, and tracks straight even when the tips rock and the floats bounce off the water.
builder is offline Find More Posts by builder