Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Idea
CHEAPEST, QUICKEST, EASIEST control horns EVER!!!

These are the easiest cheapest way to make control horns that I have found or seen anywhere. I was looking at a scratchbuild video on YouTube and saw what looked like a floss pick being used for a control horn. What a great idea. I went to the local Dollar Tree to get some foam board and what did I find? A 60 pack of these Aim brand "precision" floss picks for $1.00!

As you can see from the pictures, all you have to do is make three cuts with some scissors or wire cutters and viola! Best thing about these is the control rod holes are already there! Just cut to length depending on how much throw you want or leave the holes to make it adjustable.

I cut the bottom part at an angle to make it easier to poke into the foam when fitting. A little hot glue to fasten it down and you're good to go. Clean teeth AND cheap easy building materials. Can life get any better? Happy building everybody!

bigpapaspoon is offline Find More Posts by bigpapaspoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:10 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,300 Posts
Good idea, tho mine are cheaper but require a little more work. I use bag-clips:
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:06 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,377 Posts
You know you've got it bad when you look at a flossing sword and see an RC plane part...
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:23 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
*Everything* I see at the dollar store is a potential RC plane part, or could be associated with scratchbuilding in some way. It takes me forever to get out of there. My most expensive trip to date was just over $30 ... ALL for RC, even the Diet Coke (drink it while building, then cut up bottle and use plastic for other things, even the bottle cap got used for something).
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2013
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
*Everything* I see at the dollar store is a potential RC plane part, or could be associated with scratchbuilding in some way. It takes me forever to get out of there. My most expensive trip to date was just over $30 ... ALL for RC, even the Diet Coke (drink it while building, then cut up bottle and use plastic for other things, even the bottle cap got used for something).
Lmao....

It kind of hitted me today...by accident.

Im in the process of using different technique to build wings out of notebooks binder dividers or plastic inserts. The type you put sheets of paper in. They come in different colors too. They're slightly thicker than warp film, with premade
hinges.lmao It's lite too...because there's no more foam or not a lot of it.lol
Plus it'll be fully air foil wing.

This way I can just disassemble the wing , roll it up and the complete model
into a travel bag. Kind of like a kite but stronger so you can toss the model around in the air more.

There's different ways I can go about it..I just want to design something simple
so everyone can use it, Mostly for younger people that don't have transportations to haul a putted together model around.
So it has to be really simple, easy, and cheap to build. Material easily available to everyone.
smcx66 is offline Find More Posts by smcx66
Old Sep 09, 2013, 08:02 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
Can't wait to see what you come up with
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jun 2013
533 Posts
K, I kind of got stuck lastnight...So I had to sleep on it.lol

Keep in mind, im not just slapping it together. I also have to fine ways of building
and using materials that's easily available. Also make strong and lite ...worthy of flight.
And you have to be able to assemble and disassemble for easy storage and transport.
The GOAL or challenge.
So Im doing it in stages and tackling one problem at a time. As I brain storm.
It actually release stress for me. I enjoying problems solving or solving puzzles.

Iv'e built balsa/foam models like a mad man in the past. I also fly stunt kites
if it gets windy. So it's combinations of using everything Ive learn.

I aslo came acoss other ulternative or ones.lol

The 3mm fiberglass rod. I got for .99 cent for a flower windmill garden decoration.
There's different kind...so you have to check them. Some are just made out of soft plastic.
To my amazement some are made out of fiberglass.

The roll of fiberglass clothe like material are 6" wide. $5 p/roll (it'll last me a life time.lmao)
At Home depot. It can be use to re enforce a lot of things.
It can also be used as wing support. This way you don't need CF rods (that's another project.lol)

I use spray adhesive when needed to save weight.

It's not going to be the prettiest thing at the moment..because it's simply just
a tool I can experiment with different ideas.

It all got started when I notice the binders laying around.
I lay 2 ea. side by and tape it with scotch tape. it worked.
Then I cut the bottom. Too easy.

So it would be something like an armin wing without the foam.
The binders are strong and you can roll it.lol

Next..the LE and TE. I used a 1/4 dow for the LE and opt to use 1/8 dow or bamboo for TE (to save weight)
Next I had to figure out how I was going to build a frame you can also take apart.Iol
I used Heatshirk. Cut it so you can shove the dows into.
Next I hot glue them to the LE and TE..where wing ribs should be.
They held up good...this is where the fiber clothe comes in handy...They works.lol
Anytype of clothe would also work. You can also use sawing thread and add CA.

I mess around to see if you can assemble it easily inside binders.lol
I found it to be easier if the LE and TE are gluded in place. it also prevents bowing of
the TE. I used spray adhesive...it was a pain .lmao I manage to get them in..though.
I believe you can just tac the ends of the LE...and you're better off using hot glue
for the TE.

The next challenge is to prevent the wing from twisting..because Im not using
conventional wing ribs or wing sheeting.

First I thought of using rubber bands to hold the dows in place with the main spare....
It works...but it's a pain to assemble.

So I used heatshrink , (or straws) and glued then to the bottom of spar.
It prevents twisting of the wing...but I can also slide the dows in and out easily. Later, Im going to use plastic rods...it'll flex without breaking to provide tension to the wing.

I can also add more dows/ribs and have it go over the spar to eliminate more twisting.
Maybe one -ea at the outter chambers.

The way I have it at the moment is decent enough for you to fly around in because im using
dows for the LE and TE.
Its about as stiff as a sheet of foam. Im twisting at the conners of the wing.lol
It's not like that during flight...the forces more spread out.

In conventional wing ribs chambers they're only 3" apart....They're 6" in my experiment at the moment.lol
I can't pull the LE and TE out cuase they're gluded in.lmao
I'll have to make another...work out kinks as I go.

I don't want to add more ribs.unless I have too.lmao.
I can get rid of bow if I use CF rods. The spar is strong enough as it is. I beam contructions is the best way.

Too eliminate the twist..I simply need to make something like a dogbone for wings's tensions pieces, mostly the center
piece. I need to run down to hardward store to find sometype of retainer that will allow me to snap the the tensions
pieces on and off the main spar. Something similar to a cylinder fuse holder clip.
You can always use masking tape..lmao. Just peel it off when you disassemble..

I can always glue everything in at the moment...but that's nots not my goal.

If you construct the spar like an I beam..it'll be very strong..not the way I have it at the moment.
I just taped it...cuase I don't wanna use hot glue...too much wight.lol
It's strong enough as it is.
Im only experinmenting. The height of the spar will also determine the thickness of the airfoil.

it's going to be a 44" span..lol plenty of lift.

Another good source for hard plastic that you can use for control horns or other re enforcement area
are collctor's card protectors. They're a dozen for $1
if I laminate a sheet of that fiber glass in between them..it'll be better than plywood.lol...Motor mounts.
smcx66 is offline Find More Posts by smcx66
Last edited by smcx66; Sep 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:52 AM
Midland Tx
Joined Nov 2010
59 Posts
1/4 inch zip ties cut to length and hotglued in place make great control horns and dont get much cheaper
Looking_Up is offline Find More Posts by Looking_Up
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpapaspoon View Post
These are the easiest cheapest way to make control horns that I have found or seen anywhere. I was looking at a scratchbuild video on YouTube and saw what looked like a floss pick being used for a control horn. What a great idea. I went to the local Dollar Tree to get some foam board and what did I find? A 60 pack of these Aim brand "precision" floss picks for $1.00!

As you can see from the pictures, all you have to do is make three cuts with some scissors or wire cutters and viola! Best thing about these is the control rod holes are already there! Just cut to length depending on how much throw you want or leave the holes to make it adjustable.

I cut the bottom part at an angle to make it easier to poke into the foam when fitting. A little hot glue to fasten it down and you're good to go. Clean teeth AND cheap easy building materials. Can life get any better? Happy building everybody!

We had this exact same discussion in KFm thread few days back and I posted my way of making control horns out of flossers here. Scroll down on the page to look at post #6259. : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...17276&page=418
elewon is online now Find More Posts by elewon
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2003
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking_Up View Post
1/4 inch zip ties cut to length and hotglued in place make great control horns and dont get much cheaper
Yeah once I started to do this there really was no reason to look any further. It works, its cheap, its easy, and you can buy what you need at any hardware/general store.
acvar is offline Find More Posts by acvar
Old May 07, 2014, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2013
7 Posts
Does it fit with 1.8mm pushrod
Mukhdi is offline Find More Posts by Mukhdi