HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:14 PM
United States, SC, Florence
Joined Nov 2004
92 Posts
tailpipe assy. completed

whew, that was a project, LOL
But here it is , just have to paint it flat black and it is ready to go in and allow me to start installing formers. Already had it sitting in the fuse, and had to grind out a bit of the rear former for the horizontal stab mechanisms so the thrust tube would maintain straight alignment on centerline of thrust. Had to take about 3/16" off the inside of the top . After all this, I want the air running straight out the back and on the thrust line. I am well pleased with my first attempted molding project. The black you see in the glass is from the Black sharpie pen I used to layout the layers of cloth. Oh well gotta find a better way to layout them out! I will get back to inlet molding next week.
jetjock50 is offline Find More Posts by jetjock50
Last edited by jetjock50; Jul 06, 2014 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:39 PM
Joined Nov 2004
92 Posts
tailpipe supports

these are the supports I installed center the tailpipe in the planes tail cones. and a former I made for reinforcing the joint with nose section. I am awaiting the extra bearings I ordered to install on stabilizer rods where they pass thru the fuselage. Got some 8mm id x 12mm od flanged bearing which fit into a 1/8" ply bearing mount to be affixed inside the fuse for helping with and flex that could possibly come into play in my horizontal stab mechanisms. The mechs. will just clear them in the fuse. will get everything ready to with aeropoxy on the wooden bearing mounts, then slide the stabs through the fuse holes, and the bearing s and into the mechanisms and tighten down the clamps on the mechanisms. then wedge the bearing mounts with the aeropoxy against the fuse and let dry.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:28 PM
Joined Nov 2004
92 Posts
horiz, stab servo access

I got the call today, my third bearing support bearings are in over at the hobby shop, will go get them , tomorrow. Today I cut out the stock servo access areas, which are way bigger than what I need. But the covers a premade and fit nicely.
The notched out area at the rear of opening is all I really need so can I lock down the set screws that hold pivot rods into the mechanism. I figured more access is better, most of the time. I used some of the extra material from the covers to make some doubler strips inside the fuse, just so the BVM panel screws I will be using can get a better bite in the fuse. I may have to order some more, I don't think I have enough here to do all that will be needed everywhere. You may notice the small cuts I made behind the access hole on one side. That was where I was going to just make a small access to get to the set screws. Got to patch that now and move on to pivot bearings tomorrow.
I have to give a shout out to: imacswd, for the additional bearing idea which he did on his F-16, his pic is included here also
Last edited by jetjock50; Jul 10, 2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jul 10, 2014, 09:29 PM
Grand Junction, Co
Joined Feb 2009
42 Posts
sweet..

enjoying the build Roger Keep the info/pics coming please..

John
jamnut is offline Find More Posts by jamnut
Old Jul 17, 2014, 07:42 AM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Mons
Joined Jan 2012
359 Posts
Nice done buddy!!!
I m on the way to get mine finished soon
I Will post some picture !
Did you get any advises for the perfect cg with EDF?
Still wondering If we CAN just use the byron one
gianni sanchez is offline Find More Posts by gianni sanchez
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:05 AM
Joined Nov 2004
92 Posts
Cg

I have been assuming that it would be fine with the stock Byron cg location. I do think that with Jet legend landing gear and the trailing link wheels being further aft , it may be harder to rotate on takeoff. I will try to keep the main gear mounts as far forward as possible. And I am considering a radio mix that turns both rudder inward as I see in pics of the full scale plane on aircraft carrier launches. I assume that is to put some aerodynamic pressure on the rear to help with rotation????? And put in some additional throw on the elevators, for takeoff. Maybe doing some kind of "condition " mix with rudders and elev. for takeoff settings. I do know that when I put the pro-link struts on my hotspot , they flexed enough to make it harder to rotate.