HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:24 AM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Discussion
Back in the saddle, or "cockpit" again

Hey guys, I've been out the hobby about a year and a half now, since my old Firebird Phantom (see my avatar) died. Something fried with the electronics, just quit working. I have an old 72 mhz Futaba transmitter that should still work, so some day I'll probably overhaul my Phantom, convert it to a standard T-tail, get a receiver that will work with my transmitter, new servos, esc, and get it flying again. Maybe go brushless or something. But for now, the flying bug bit me again, so I got a Hobbyzone Champ. I specifically wanted a small plane that I could fly either in small areas, such as my street, or indoors in a gym. I couldn't do either with my Phantom. MAYBE I could have flown my Phantom off my street, but I never tried. There's trees and power lines, but the little Champ can easily get out from and over them, fly around at a respectable height, come back low and slow to land. I've gotten in a few flights, and in calm air it flies BEAUTIFULLY. Of course, the only "calm air" I've found lately is in the gym at our city park. That was fun. I'm just ready for calm winds. I found out it's not too bad under rooftop level in front of my house, but above the houses, trees and power lines, it's a different story. It does fly in a mild wind, but it's like flying a very bouncy little kite. I'm ready for some good, calm weather. My goal is to add a keychain cam and get some aerial video of my neighborhood. Anyhoo, just wanted to give you guys a friendly wave and a big high five from Cajun country. Advice? Your thoughts? Can't wait to hear from you guys. It's good to be back. Later!
Stingray8854 is offline Find More Posts by Stingray8854
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:01 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
981 Posts
Welcome back Stingray, Happy New Year
If you are up to building, take a look at the 'FunBat'.
You could make a slightly smaller version if necessary, it flies like on rails, can handle a bit of wind, will fly slow or fast, gentle or aerobatic. It's the whole package When everyone else is grounded with their 500mm wingspan models, the FunBat is still up there zipping around, bring's a smile to my face even as I prepare a lipo for it.
RWData is offline Find More Posts by RWData
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:49 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2009
2,684 Posts
Welcome back !
owlsabie is online now Find More Posts by owlsabie
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:40 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWData View Post
Welcome back Stingray, Happy New Year
If you are up to building, take a look at the 'FunBat'.
You could make a slightly smaller version if necessary, it flies like on rails, can handle a bit of wind, will fly slow or fast, gentle or aerobatic. It's the whole package When everyone else is grounded with their 500mm wingspan models, the FunBat is still up there zipping around, bring's a smile to my face even as I prepare a lipo for it.
Happy new year to you as well. I looked up the FunBat, and indeed it looks like a blast to fly.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:47 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsabie View Post
Welcome back !

Thanks friend! I saw at least one of your videos on YouTube. Good stuff! I left a comment. I have no rc flying videos, for now, but I have some other stuff you might find interesting. Mostly local wildlife. Take a look and let me know what you think. I have the same username on YouTube. Anyway, happy new year, and happy flying.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:32 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Finally had some good, calm air yesterday evening. Got in several flights. It was really nice, only the slightest breeze once in a while. With a freshly charged lipo, the Champ has lots of "motivation" at full throttle, although it's so light it does just fine at half throttle or less. I'm finding it a really enjoyable little plane.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:50 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Well, my part of the world, southern Louisiana, is getting SOAKED by flooding rains. All day today, and lots more on the way for at least the next day or two. Even schools are closing because of flooding. Oh well, looks like my little Champ won't be flying for a while. Maybe at the gym.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:37 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,574 Posts
For those flooding days, I built a Rc Fan Boat.
I took a chunk of foam, shaped it like a Fan Boat, covered the bottom with strapping and packing tape, mounted a mast at the rear with a Rc plane motor mounted to the front of the mast and a large rudder w/servo mounted to the back of the mast.
Neighbors think I'm nuts, but I don't get bored much!
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
USA, LA, New Iberia
Joined Jan 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch777 View Post
For those flooding days, I built a Rc Fan Boat.
I took a chunk of foam, shaped it like a Fan Boat, covered the bottom with strapping and packing tape, mounted a mast at the rear with a Rc plane motor mounted to the front of the mast and a large rudder w/servo mounted to the back of the mast.
Neighbors think I'm nuts, but I don't get bored much!
Wow Butch, that sounds like a cool idea. If you want to go for the authentic look, Maybe you could add a protective "cage" of sorts, like maybe a light weight cf frame covering the front of the motor and rounded over the top of the arc of the prop. With adequate clearance, of course. You could also add a miniature elevated driver's seat in front of the motor. Ever watch Swamp People on the History Channel? I'm a HUGE fan, and I live right near where it's filmed. Anyway, add a little cooler and some small plastic alligators in the boat, and you've got what would amount to a good replica of the real deal around here in south Louisiana in September, during alligator season.