Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:52 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
Thanks justy g. Yes, 550's can be used and there are a lot of people that will recommend them for 600 size multi-blades, especially the MD500's. The real diameter of the blades is 10.69m and the model is 1/7th scale. In actual measurement, the model should have a 1.53m rotor span and even with the 600 blades, it is 1.39m. I am fairly sure the boom has been short-changed to work with 600 mechanics or you would need a 700 boom in it to be able to get the true diameter. I am using 600mm Rotor Tech scale blades and with the 600EFL Pro inside, there is lots of power for those length blades. Got to run and fly. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:01 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
695 Posts
Thanks for your reply Don

I' m looking at Fun-key H-6125 semis 610mm or H-5635 560mm semis http://www.fun-key.com.hk/productshow.asp?showid=183

What would you recommend?

Thanks
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Old Mar 30, 2013, 09:14 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
They are good blades but what are you using them on? If it is the same helicopter as I have, then 610's are starting to get a bit long as they may hit the tail rotor in a rough landing. I said that the boom has been shortened for the 600 but with blades to give the tail authority (110mm rather than 95mm), the 610's are starting to get a bit oversize for an AS350 model. The 560's will be better but I have been recommended to try the 570mm symmetrical blade CN265722 rather than the semi-symmetrical ones you are looking at. The technician, who is one of the blade designers for the scale and F3C blades has told me that the 570's are very efficient and will give top performance to make the flights longer and smoother. The most important question is what is the power unit in the helicopter? That can be the biggest hurdle to overcome. Got to run.

Don
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
695 Posts
You sound like a busy man!

The helicopter is
Trex 600/AS350
Scorpion 4025-740
8s
14t/170
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:07 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
That should be a good working combo for a 3 blade head. Experimentation is sometimes the best way to determine what will work the best. Depending on the ESC, you can get a good governed top head speed of 1500 rpm, which gives you a good cushion if you want to bring it down a bit. I run mine at 1400 rpm (I think but my memory is the pits, you know, old age) and find that it is a very nice speed to run it at. Have fun with it.

Don

PS: I had a great day of flying. 9 Flights in with 4 on my 500MD TD and 5 on my Jet Ranger. Perfect cool weather.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
695 Posts
Hi Don

I will be running an Ice 2 80a should be more than enough. I've calculated a 1461 headspeed at 90% governed. My have to drop down to a 13t, if it flies well at 1400.

Glad to hear you had a great days flying, you have a wonderful flying site.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
695 Posts
One other thing Don

Not to detract from your beautiful model, but you tail stinger is fitted upside down.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 08:33 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
Really? Never noticed, lol.

Don

Fixed.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:21 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
695 Posts
Hi Don

What did you use for a landing light?
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
I had described it in the build portion but it really is two reflectors from a Traxxas Stampede light bar kit put into a wood housing. I did the same with my 500MD TD but only used one reflector. The LEDs are from the RC Lights Nightlight set and are painfully bright. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 11, 2013, 07:37 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
I have been waiting almost a year for these parts to come in so I am making the most of it and getting the feel for installing done on this helicopter before I attempt to do the rear window on my 500MD TD. The plan was to buy the channel and window kits to make the new lower door window on the pilot's side and then to install all of the original windows with the rubber channel. I will most likely order two more packages of the channel so that when it comes to do the Jet Ranger, I can have the stuff right at hand. This stuff is easy to work with but hard to get the windows just right. I may need to remove and trim a few yet but it is not glued in. I am also starting the rework the cockpit and the first thing to go was the undersized floor. Along with that, the brand new seats will also need to be trimmed in height and so will the center console. Nothing major but it will make a huge difference in overall fit of everything. I also have the new fire extinguisher and it will be prominent in the new lower window of the pilot's door. I thought that I had all the pictures off the internet that I would ever need to do this but it turned out that I took a key picture of an AS355 a couple of months ago that gave me exactly what I needed to fit the seats and console. Who knew?? Here are the pictures and excuse the terrible out of focus edges. Now I see why this camera was turned in on trade. The lens is crap. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
52 Posts
Hey Don that makes those windows much nicer in appearance. Where can we purchase the rubber channel from. Thanks!
UH60 Black hawk is offline Find More Posts by UH60 Black hawk
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:11 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
You can get it from Century or any ProHeli supplier. I get my ProHeli stuff from Leisure Tech in British Columbia. Great guy to deal with.

Don
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:16 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,384 Posts
It's finished on the inside, finally. I have a few exterior details yet to add but they are changing antennae and putting back on the side basket I removed with my pant cargo pocket, sigh. These are the el-cheapo army guys from Toys R Us with a few things added from my other left-over stuff from the 500MD TD. The helmets are out of scale but I'm only going for overall looks and not points. What I forgot to take a picture of was the two servo screws that are holding them to the backs of the seats. I purposely left the screw unpainted, lol. Now, this is starting to look like something. Take care.

Don
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:48 AM
Thumper
Slidell, LA
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Don,

Nice job on the cockpit and flight crew I think they turned out great with the details you added. Windows look good with that trim as well. Thanks for posting all the info and pictures.

Andrew
AMinster is offline Find More Posts by AMinster