HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altbob View Post
That really looks amazing! I can't believe I missed this post and am just seeing it now. My Albatross is in pieces at the moment as I am swapping out the engine and brick for the engine and brick obtained from someone's smashed up Hobbyzone Champ. Hoping it will fly better with the extra p-power and my Spektrum transmitter will give me better control... I think someone else on this thread did the same thing but I have to find it among 51 pages of posts!
Go to "thread tools" and "view attachments".

This makes it easy to find the posts with detailed pictures.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:13 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,842 Posts
Hey UNGN,

What's your latest WWI project??? Where have you been posting?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Hey UNGN,

What's your latest WWI project??? Where have you been posting?

Gene K
I've got 3 car project that are taking most of my time. Weather has been too poor to fly, too.

Hopefully it will warm up and the wind die down.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:16 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I've got 3 car project that are taking most of my time.
Your RC projects are missed.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 01, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
Hey, got the UM Champ motor and brick installed and everything is working fine now with the Spektrum DX7, including added down elevator mixed at max throttle - but before I take his up again I wanted to make sure that I had the CG right. I looked over the manual carefully 3 times and I can't find any mention of where the CG is supposed to be! I'm guessing 1/3rd of the way back from the leading edge of the upper wing? Anyone know?
Altbob is offline Find More Posts by Altbob
Old Apr 01, 2014, 01:31 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
663 Posts
altbob, Page 14 under the elevator rates. 28mm from leading edge of wing.

JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Apr 01, 2014, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
Thanks! Weird that they would put it under "elevator rates" - I normally associate that portion of the manual with control trows.

P.S., I seem to have been gypped - the manual that came with my Flyzone Albatros is only 10 pages long! Nothing at all about CG in it, I can assure you now, after a 4th read-through

28mm on a 60mm wing chord? That's almost 50%! Are you sure? Using my newly built, homemade "CG machine" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2137881 I can accomplish a 28mm CG at this point by adding 2g of paper clips to the tail feathers. The plane weights in at a whopping 40g with the battery and paper clips added!

But assuming the balance is correct, the Hobbyzone Champ weights 41g w/o battery, and my Albatros now has the Champ's motor in it.

Similarly, my Parkzone P-51, heavily modified with internal balsa longerons, lots of glue and tape and carbon spars to repair crash damage, flies beautifully at 40 grams before the battery is added. Now having said that, both the Champ and P-51 have much larger wings (hence less wingloading...)

The Flyzone Neuport, just for sake of argument, weights in at a mere 30g w/o battery!

Wish me luck - going to try flying this thing in the morning. I'll try to get some video if it isn't a spectacular mess
Last edited by Altbob; Apr 01, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
OK, just checking back in after today's test flights. I can confirm that the CG at 28mm is way too tail heavy. I removed first 1g of weight from the tail and then the other gram and it flew really well, although given the weight of the paint and tissue modifications I made, plus glue from previous crash repairs, I have to fly way faster than I'd like to in order to keep it airborne. At this point I'm considering an airfoil shaped landing gear spreader to get a tiny bit more lift. I will keep you all posted!
Old Apr 27, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
94 Posts
It is amazing how slow and stable it can fly, but it can also zip around pretty fast when you are flying indoor. It is a great trainer also for some one who is just starting into RC flying. Having lot of fun with this little plane!
rccraze is offline Find More Posts by rccraze