New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2015, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Destroy
Mil, WI
Joined Oct 1999
664 Posts
I'm getting jello but its the pulsing blurring that is more annoying.

Is vibration also the cause of this pulsing blur?
pulsing blur (0 min 40 sec)
Destroy is offline Find More Posts by Destroy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
3,185 Posts
Apologies for going off topic but I just used mine to image an inaccessible area on my boat by attaching it to a stick. I just thought I'd mention that there are more uses for it than just hanging it on a toy aeroplane.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Aug 27, 2015, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
I'm getting jello but its the pulsing blurring that is more annoying.

Is vibration also the cause of this pulsing blur?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYf0oqGX6U
Does it do that with the camera stationary on the ground? That should answer your question.

I'm curious, though, what kind of aircraft is that you are flying? Vibration from normal prop-drive aircraft create low frequency and larger amplitude vibration, resulting in varying forms of "jello" waves. To blur the entire frame uniformly like that would require a VERY high frequency and low amplitude vibration. Ducted fan propulsion maybe... can't tell from the audio in the video?

It looks more like a problem with a cyclical compression codec pulsing, which other cameras of this small size have demonstrated. The #16 is not one of them, though.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Destroy
Mil, WI
Joined Oct 1999
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Does it do that with the camera stationary on the ground? That should answer your question.

I'm curious, though, what kind of aircraft is that you are flying? Vibration from normal prop-drive aircraft create low frequency and larger amplitude vibration, resulting in varying forms of "jello" waves. To blur the entire frame uniformly like that would require a VERY high frequency and low amplitude vibration. Ducted fan propulsion maybe... can't tell from the audio in the video?

It looks more like a problem with a cyclical compression codec pulsing, which other cameras of this small size have demonstrated. The #16 is not one of them, though.
The plane is a Dynam PBY-5A Catalina like this. I had the camera velcro'ed to a sponge foam piece then duct taped the whole thing( like a bandaid) to the top of the nose gunner plastic, in front of the cockpit windshield.

I did not realize these cameras are so sensitize to vibrations. The plane feels smooth and is very quiet at 1/2 throttle.
Destroy is offline Find More Posts by Destroy
Old Aug 27, 2015, 08:19 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
The plane is a Dynam PBY-5A Catalina like this. I had the camera velcro'ed to a sponge foam piece then duct taped the whole thing( like a bandaid) to the top of the nose gunner plastic, in front of the cockpit windshield.

I did not realize these cameras are so sensitize to vibrations. The plane feels smooth and is very quiet at 1/2 throttle.
The watermarks in the photo tells me the picture was not taken with the same #16 camera? Does the camera do the same blurring in 720-15fps that it does in 720-30fps? It's not normal... the plane motor audio in your video was very smooth, but volume must have been reduced quite a bit.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Aug 27, 2015 at 08:24 PM. Reason: corrected camera references - got off track with mobius in the #16 thread
Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by zarquon77
Joined May 2015
24 Posts
How long do these normally hold a charge? I got one a few weeks ago, and if I fully charge it, then don't end up using it for a while, say a few days to a week or so, it's generally stone dead. Is this normal?
zarquon77 is offline Find More Posts by zarquon77
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
19,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarquon77 View Post
How long do these normally hold a charge? I got one a few weeks ago, and if I fully charge it, then don't end up using it for a while, say a few days to a week or so, it's generally stone dead. Is this normal?
No it's not normal for a normal healthy battery! Charging to full voltage, unfortunately, tells you nothing about the health of the battery. If it has built up deposits and possibly even bridging between the+ and - plates, it can self discharge quickly in a worst case scenario, or not hold a full charge in spite of what the charging LED tells you. The battery still draws a tiny bit of power when turned off to the time/date clock running, but it should not run down a battery in the short time period you mention.

A few cases have been posted here where some kind of circuitry malfunction has caused rapid battery draining, but it's rare. You should replace your battery for starters. If it still does the same thing, perhaps there is some warranty relief available from your vendor (hopefully they are one of those listed in post #2 here.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by Djob
Joined Jun 2015
60 Posts
Quote:
Am I correct in that the #16 does NOT have any built in Image Stabilization feature?

Some videos on youtube have a very warpy or snaking look to them instead of vibrations and I was trying to figure out why that would be? Some post processing done to the video perhaps?
You are correct.
Djob is online now Find More Posts by Djob
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Max Memory on Micro SD card

What is the Maximum size on a class 4 [ in Gb's] that one could use without going into "overkill " or going beyond the 16's capabilities ?

I have a 2 Gb installed but wanted to use one with a bit more capacity

thanks ................te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by Djob
Joined Jun 2015
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post
What is the Maximum size on a class 4 [ in Gb's] that one could use without going into "overkill " or going beyond the 16's capabilities ?

Lol just stick one in and you will find out.
I use 8 gb
Djob is online now Find More Posts by Djob
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
Find More Posts by Not a Number
United States, CA, LA
Joined Jun 2015
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Eutsler View Post

The user manual says 32 GB. You can go higher but you have to format the card with Fat32 and you won't get the full capacity of the card.
Not a Number is offline Find More Posts by Not a Number
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
887 Posts
Gb card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
The user manual says 32 GB. You can go higher but you have to format the card with Fat32 and you won't get the full capacity of the card.
Thanks will order a 16 Gb. the card I have now , cut off Just at the point of my interest . Only later did I find some vid garbage on the card , which I had not erased [formating ]

................te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Today, 08:35 AM
Find More Posts by zsumo
(pr zedsumo)
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
Quote:
How do most of you attach this camera to your rc airplanes?
Whichever method you use, add a safety cord so that when you crash and it gets knocked loose, you won't have to spend two hours in long grass looking for it ... or, in the case of the Catalina, find scuba gear to cruise the bottom of the lake ...
zsumo is online now Find More Posts by zsumo