Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,441 Posts
Rave
Pilar from Cuba

Just read an amazing story in the August Marine Modelling International. Israel Wlfredo Diaz Gomez lives in Cuba, and like most of his countrymen, he needs to be resourceful. He decided to build a model of Ernest Hemingway's 1934 cabin cruiser "Pilar", which is preserved at Hemingway's old home in Cuba.

He lists some of the challenges he overcame... not allowed to send money out of the country (eek! no mail order!), he used local woods, pieces of umbrella wires for various rods, a fan motor out of a Russian car... it goes on.

And one of his most useful resources? Pat Tritle's article on building "Orca"! Pat, you'll be in trouble in Miami now...

PM
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
25,342 Posts
How on earth did they get an article about a guy living in a Communist country ruled by a fascist dictator who doesn't allow outside news sources?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 12, 2007, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by RhumbLine
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
Kmot, You are correct about censorship, but there is a lively toursist trade in Cuba mostly from Europe and Mexico. Too bad the entire populous doesn't benefit from it. Until recently (read 9/11) many sailboaters and sportfishers traveled to Cuba. The US is the only major power that has an embargo/travel restrictions on Cuba that I am aware of. The PILAR was/is like a pilgramage for fisherman and those that have read of Hemingway's exploits. If anyone is interested in scratch building the PILAR, her sister ship is in a tackle shop here in the Keys. She is about 98% restored to her original configuration from what I can tell. I should probably stop and take some pictures one day, give me a good reason to have a libation at Zane Greys (bar inside tackle shop).
If you haveen't seen the boats that the Cubans build to migrate to the States you have been cheated. I'm convinced that somebody had a satellite TV and watched Monster Garage These are the only vehicle conversions I am aware of, but the other craft are just as impressive when you think that they risk thier lives to cross a trechourous body of water like the Straits of Florida. All of these were powered by putting a prop on the driveline The Buick was making good 6 knots when we intercepted it!
RhumbLine is offline Find More Posts by RhumbLine
Old Aug 12, 2007, 07:22 AM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,441 Posts
Do take pix! Maybe we can get Pat T. to draw up a model... there's a connection now, after all...

Yep, I know this isn't a place for politics... but we do business with, and allow trade to Hanoi, Moscow (don't tell me they aren't a repressive dictatorship!), Bejing, and a whole slew of others... why not Cuba?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:24 AM
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
Pat, I'll get the pix hopefully this week. I think I have a couple of stops up that way this week, I'll have to check. I would love to see Pat T. whip this one up. She is a beautiful old boat. Lots of Character.
No politics, but I guess one would have to read some history back from the early 1960's until now on how/why to take a stand and not give it up. Right or wrong it's still going on...on both sides.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by 420TEE
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,813 Posts
It's a shame they have to sink those amazing car/boats. They should be saved and put on display somewhere as a reminder of what people will go through to get to this country.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by der kapitan
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhumbLine
No politics, but I guess one would have to read some history back from the early 1960's until now on how/why to take a stand and not give it up. Right or wrong it's still going on...on both sides.
Rhumb, like you said, there would be some reading up required to get the whole dirty little picture.

It involves tarnished politicians from this country, from Cuba, and then you mix in a little mob participation---.

A lot of embarassment all around, if the real facts got out---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by lowdive
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
hmmm... time to model an rc carboat?
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
lowdive, There is not much more to go on other than a few pic's and scattered first hand reports. So think driveline prop, 4 tires and correct model and year and yer there!
Old Aug 12, 2007, 09:44 PM
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
Kaptain, you are right on all counts.

I had more of a response but it sounded like a soap box so I figured I'd spare us all. What I will say is working in that arena made me take stock in a lot of things. And that's all I have to say about that.

Now who is going to build the PILAR first so I can watch and learn sumthin?

Scott
Old Aug 12, 2007, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,456 Posts
You get the impression that a lot of people are waiting for Fidel to pass from the scene; that might provide an opportunity for things to begin to change - maybe.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Aug 13, 2007, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by tim slocum
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Speaking of beautiful old wooden yachts, how about this grand old dame.If I only had the money,she'd be all mine.Can someone say retirement home?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by lowdive
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
wow! that is a beaut!
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:58 PM
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
14,441 Posts
Har! My grandad had that idea in '62... he and Grandma were on a Matthews 44... that lasted a bit more than a year before they settled on dry land again.

Oh, the mahogany! The varnish of it all!
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:23 PM
SoAl
Joined Mar 2007
247 Posts
What a great line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Har! My grandad had that idea in '62... he and Grandma were on a Matthews 44... that lasted a bit more than a year before they settled on dry land again.

Oh, the mahogany! The varnish of it all!
patmat, I needed a good laugh this afternoon thanks!