Old Sep 06, 2015, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by nativepaul
NiCad Abuser
Surrey England
Joined Aug 2003
137 Posts
Question
TX with advanced servo slowing

Hi there folks, I am looking for a new radio, it has to have 2 or more timers that can be made to start on throttle up alarming at different times, ball bearing gimbles, 6 or more channels.

Here is the hard bit, When I hit the throttle I would like it to follow the stick unslowed to a set point, say 25%, but then ramp up the throttle slowly over the next 10 seconds (if it could follow a set curve rather than being linear, it would be an advantage, but not crucial). I only want it slowed in one direction so if something happens and I have to throttle off within those 10 seconds it will follow the stick quickly rather than be slow. I only want it to act this way once, and at all other times just follow the stick quickly as normal, so the slowing would have to be turned on and off via a switch.

I would really like it to be Futaba FASST as I think it has one of, if not the best RF links, and I have a bunch of FASST RXs already from my current 6EX.

I am currently thinking of getting a used Futaba 8FG, which can do all the basics at the top and plenty more, in a good looking and easy to clean package, at a good price, but I have no idea if it can do the complex slowing. I know the 8FG has servo slowing on some channels but not others, is it available on the throttle channel? Or is it just on the switched channels? Can slowing be switched on and off in flight? Can slowing only apply to part of the movement range? Can anyone think of a mix to get round it if it cant do it on the throttle stick, so I could get the ramp up behaviour when I am holding the momentary switch instead?

Or maybe I need to step up in the range, leave Futaba behind, or maybe no radio can do it.
nativepaul is offline Find More Posts by nativepaul
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2015, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by DonA
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
878 Posts
What you asking for is pretty complex. However, I believe I could do it with my Futaba 12FG/14MZ/18MZ using conditions triggered by throttle stick position. The slow advance/quick retard throttle is also possible because those radios allow servo speed control for both in and out separately.

I hesitate to say the 8FG/14SG can do this because I haven't played with those radios enough to say for sure. However, I think the 14SG can do it possibly the 8FG. Someone more familiar with the conditions and limitations of the 8FG/14SG can give you a more accurate answer.

It would take some programming and setup adjustment to get what you want but the condition capability of the Futaba radios is very powerful and flexible.

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Sep 06, 2015, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by pilotpete2
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,704 Posts
Yes, the 8FG will probably meet your needs!
First, the timers are no problem. You can setup 2 timers triggered by the throttle stick, at any percentage of stick position as the trigger, they may be or down timers and have different alarms. You should be good to go on this issue.
Now, a simple throttle speed delay is available for IC engines, but would not do what you need.
If you change your throttle channel to MOTOR, then the throttle channel is now optimized for electric motors and offers exactly what you want. You can have the delay kick in at any stick position you want, AND have it only affect either throttle up or down, exactly what you seem to want. There is also a parameter for ONE TIME operation, where, after the first cycle of the throttle stick, the throttle stick will respond normally. OH, and you can also have a curve applied! What I could not seem to achieve, was a way to reset the one time function, without turning off the radio, and re-selecting the model. So if you could deal with the throttle only having the slow down on the first throttle up cycle of the flight, you may be fine with this functionality.
These motor functions are for advanced electric powered sailplanes, but are available in the normal ACRO models, but no conditions in the ACRO mode. Using the Sailplane settings, you'd also have conditions available.
You didn't mention what kind of model you're going to use this with, but you can use the sailplane settings for any fixed wing models.
The 8FG and 14SG only have conditions in the sailplane and Heli functions, so many folks flying aerobatic plankers use the sailplane settings to have conditions available. The sailplane settings can be thought of as "fixed wing-advanced"
I've had the 8FG since 2010, it's been as solid as a rock.
Maybe Malcolm Holt will also jump in, He's the gentleman that published a guide for programming the 14SG on Kindle.
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 07, 2015, 08:10 AM
NiCad Abuser
Surrey England
Joined Aug 2003
137 Posts
The servo slowing I am after is actually for an otherwise simple 2 channel boat, one of the best things besides the solid radio link about 2.4ghz for me is that I an have all my boats, cars, and planes on the same TX.

All my models are electric powered or gliders, and have been since way before computer radios came out, so I am wondering why the difference between throttle and motor? I have always called that channel throttle despite it being hooked up to a switcher or ESC rather than an actual throttle.

What you describe seems perfect as I would be using a motor and it does everything I want, and I only want it one time, so that saves me from even having to switch it on or off. However I do like to give the model a blip of throttle before I throw it in the water to check it is working (as it is pretty embarrassing standing on the bank and watching your boat slowly drifting away from you because you forgot to tighten the driveshaft back up after oiling it (not that I have ever done it (more than once))), Can the ONE TIME operation be made to only kick in when I get to the 25% throttle I want the slow ramp to start at, so I can blipthe motor to test it is working on the bank as long as I don't go above 24% throttle, and still get the slow ramp up when I put it in the water and go above 25%?
Old Sep 07, 2015, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by MattyB
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
5,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativepaul View Post
Hi there folks, I am looking for a new radio, it has to have 2 or more timers that can be made to start on throttle up alarming at different times, ball bearing gimbles, 6 or more channels.

Here is the hard bit, When I hit the throttle I would like it to follow the stick unslowed to a set point, say 25%, but then ramp up the throttle slowly over the next 10 seconds (if it could follow a set curve rather than being linear, it would be an advantage, but not crucial). I only want it slowed in one direction so if something happens and I have to throttle off within those 10 seconds it will follow the stick quickly rather than be slow. I only want it to act this way once, and at all other times just follow the stick quickly as normal, so the slowing would have to be turned on and off via a switch.

I would really like it to be Futaba FASST as I think it has one of, if not the best RF links, and I have a bunch of FASST RXs already from my current 6EX.
A FrSky Taranis (with or without a FASST module; your choice, but FrSky ACCST has an excellent reputation and has been bulletproof for me) can do all of that. It has 32 logical swtiches and very advanced curves which can be applied to absolutely anything you want, all of which makes a setup like you are seeking easy to achieve with zero compromises. You could even dispense with the switch altogether and have it be armed by that throttle blip you describe doing before the start - logical switches are super powerful and flexible!

If you want to play with the OpenTX software prior to purchase you can - just download the CompanionTX simulator here.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
Last edited by MattyB; Sep 07, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2015, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by pilotpete2
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,704 Posts
nativepaul,
Yes, as long as you don't hit the stick position you've set. You can blip the throttle as many times as you want, and still have the slow down work one time per flight, err, I mean cruise
The Futaba 8FG manual is available on-line.
As to the reason there is a motor (electric) specific function you can select when setting up a model. When using an IC engine, you have a throttle kill function specifically meant to be used with carburetors. With motor function selected for an electric model, you have the advanced programming for motor speed either for throttle up, or throttle down. Another very useful feature for E-powered models is a lockout for your throttle stick, that can be assigned to any switch you want. This lockout prevents unwanted motor startups when the switch is set to lock out the throttle stick. A very fine safety feature for any electric powered model.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 08, 2015, 08:19 PM
NiCad Abuser
Surrey England
Joined Aug 2003
137 Posts
Thanks Pete, it looks like the 8FG is the one for me.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 05:49 AM
NiCad Abuser
Surrey England
Joined Aug 2003
137 Posts
OK, I have an 8FG now. Would you be so kind as to go into detail of how I would go about programming the above? It is still very new to me.
Paul.