New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Feb 05, 2016, 07:01 PM
batballs is offline
Find More Posts by batballs
Blue Sky Mining
batballs's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
2,023 Posts
I think someone cautioned against running a RC circuit without its antennae due to possible heating. Can't find the post now but I'm sure they had the similar issue.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2016, 07:36 PM
hate2crash is online now
Find More Posts by hate2crash
Registered User
Joined May 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
I've been using non-diversity (single antenna) Lemon receivers without satellites for over two years and never missed a beat. I wouldn't do it for a CF quad or bigger model but in a wide range of foamies they have been great.
That's good to know. What's your maximum flight distance without any problems? Actually this lemon receiver has two antennas sticking out in right and left directions. Don't know if yours are like this or not. I think it's considered dual antenna but it's not the same as my lemon diversity set up. Thanks
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 07:37 PM
GottaZoom is online now
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Joined Feb 2014
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
I think someone cautioned against running a RC circuit without its antennae due to possible heating. Can't find the post now but I'm sure they had the similar issue.
That's normally true for all transceivers. An antenna mismatch can kill some output amplifier circuitry.

In this case I'd assume the diversity checker/switcher won't select an antenna that is not working, but that may only be true for incoming signal and it might transmit on all available antennas- it is a unknown risk (and why I'd borrow the antenna off another RX). Might be best to ask Lemon ....
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:10 PM
damouav is offline
Find More Posts by damouav
Registered User
Joined Feb 2014
293 Posts
What are the plugs used on the LemonRX DSMX Sats, are they JST XH? I want to solder the shrouded header to my Naze32 for easy removal.
damouav is offline Find More Posts by damouav
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:58 PM
clearprop88 is online now
Find More Posts by clearprop88
Registered User
Joined Apr 2011
2,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
I think someone cautioned against running a RC circuit without its antennae due to possible heating. Can't find the post now but I'm sure they had the similar issue.
That's for transmitters not receivers.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 11:00 PM
Daedalus66 is online now
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
That's good to know. What's your maximum flight distance without any problems? Actually this lemon receiver has two antennas sticking out in right and left directions. Don't know if yours are like this or not. I think it's considered dual antenna but it's not the same as my lemon diversity set up. Thanks

How far can you see a typical foamy? That far and more. One test I like to do is to fly out as far as I can still see to control the model, then point the transmitter antenna directly at it and fly for a couple of minutes that way. If I get any indication of control loss, I simply turn the transmitter so the antenna is broad side to the model.

An inadvertent test happened last summer when the Orange module in my transmitter had failed output transistor and was operating on its RF chip alone. From what I could find out this meant a power reduction to about 10%. At any rate, it caused a fair bit of glitching on the part of other receivers and one serious crash. But the Lemon receivers didn't seem to notice! By the way, this is one problem a ground range test won't show up, because such tests turn off the output transistor and put the chip in low power mode. To diagnose the problem you have to do a full power range test and potentially a fair bit of walking.

The Lemon receivers with two short (31mm) wires sticking out only have a single antenna. The other wire is a "reflector". It can be removed for a loss of 10-20% range. But make sure you don't touch the real antenna! There was a post with a picture very recently.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 11:02 PM
Daedalus66 is online now
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,724 Posts
Lemon Rx - DSM2 Receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
I think someone cautioned against running a RC circuit without its antennae due to possible heating. Can't find the post now but I'm sure they had the similar issue.

Not a problem for receivers unless they send telemetry data (in which case they are also transmitters).
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2016, 11:48 PM
jj604 is online now
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
9,325 Posts
JST-ZH 1.5mm pitch.

JST-XH is 0.1" (2.5mm) pitch. They are the ones used on most LiPos as balance connectors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damouav View Post
What are the plugs used on the LemonRX DSMX Sats, are they JST XH? I want to solder the shrouded header to my Naze32 for easy removal.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 01:03 AM
damouav is offline
Find More Posts by damouav
Registered User
Joined Feb 2014
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
JST-ZH 1.5mm pitch.

JST-XH is 0.1" (2.5mm) pitch. They are the ones used on most LiPos as balance connectors.
Thanks John,

I meant to type ZH, but working off tablet..

Cheers
Damian
damouav is offline Find More Posts by damouav
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:12 AM
DaveGB is offline
Find More Posts by DaveGB
Registered User
England
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs View Post
I have and it works a treat. Yak54 powered by an os55 2stroke glow engine. I have a satelite for extra security against the carbon wing joiner and servo cables running to the tail.
I mounted it with soft foam to isolate vibration. Old school practice for all my glow model receivers.
Thanks for info i have ordered a dual diversity satellite to fit as well just to be on the safe side, my plane is a 56inch Chipmunk with a irvine 53 two stroke.
DaveGB is offline Find More Posts by DaveGB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:31 AM
DaveGB is offline
Find More Posts by DaveGB
Registered User
England
Joined Jul 2010
29 Posts
Thanks Daedalus66 for your reply on using lemon rx on glow planes , I notice you have been using the lemon stablelizer on a Polaris, i built a standard size Polaris a few years ago and I'm still flying it off water with its high Alfa wing wobble lol it's one of the best planes I've ever flown for fun factor, so a lemon stablelizer will be on my next order, regards Dave
DaveGB is offline Find More Posts by DaveGB
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:19 AM
hate2crash is online now
Find More Posts by hate2crash
Registered User
Joined May 2010
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
How far can you see a typical foamy? That far and more. One test I like to do is to fly out as far as I can still see to control the model, then point the transmitter antenna directly at it and fly for a couple of minutes that way. If I get any indication of control loss, I simply turn the transmitter so the antenna is broad side to the model.

An inadvertent test happened last summer when the Orange module in my transmitter had failed output transistor and was operating on its RF chip alone. From what I could find out this meant a power reduction to about 10%. At any rate, it caused a fair bit of glitching on the part of other receivers and one serious crash. But the Lemon receivers didn't seem to notice! By the way, this is one problem a ground range test won't show up, because such tests turn off the output transistor and put the chip in low power mode. To diagnose the problem you have to do a full power range test and potentially a fair bit of walking.

The Lemon receivers with two short (31mm) wires sticking out only have a single antenna. The other wire is a "reflector". It can be removed for a loss of 10-20% range. But make sure you don't touch the real antenna! There was a post with a picture very recently.
Ok I think I'll be fine I'll do some tests while in flight also. I tend to keep my models very close. I usually have problems when I let my friend with the eagle eyes maiden. For some reason no matter how many times I tell him he always flies further then I would ever attempt. When I fly too far it's usually when I AM attempting to trim out a very fast small plane and lose orientation. I guess dis lemon single antenna d s m X is superior range to the orange receivers I have from the couple of years ago hopefully . Thanks for your information it is appreciated! Happy flying.
hate2crash is online now Find More Posts by hate2crash
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 06:48 AM
ukbren is offline
Find More Posts by ukbren
Registered User
ukbren's Avatar
United Kingdom, Derbyshire
Joined Aug 2011
1,885 Posts
fwiw, I've taken a dsmx-compatible lemon 8-ch + satellite (regular single antenna versions) out to a mile on a carbon quad at about 400ft AGL - obviously I had failsafe RTH to enable me to find this limit. on a foamy I think you'll be well within safe operating distance at 350yds as long as it's within clear sight.
ukbren is offline Find More Posts by ukbren
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2016, 04:29 PM
larryb is offline
Find More Posts by larryb
Looking for a place to crash
United States, WI, DeForest
Joined Jul 2001
627 Posts
Hope our friends in Tiawan are OK after the earthquake...
larryb is offline Find More Posts by larryb
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2016, 06:28 AM
jj604 is online now
Find More Posts by jj604
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
9,325 Posts
Chinese New Year

Just a heads up folks.

Lemon, like thousands of other small businesses in China, will be closed for the New Year holiday.

They will be back 15 February.

John
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Hobby king LANCASTER LEMON Lord_Of_Fear HobbyKing 43 Mar 11, 2013 11:56 PM
Discussion When Life Hands You Lemons..... Real Ira Life, The Universe, and Politics 14 Nov 02, 2012 01:35 PM
Discussion Ever Buy A Lemon Car? A $1.7M Lemon? Big Foot 48 Life, The Universe, and Politics 15 Jun 24, 2006 03:41 PM
Lemon tree very pretty. But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat. gtstubbs Life, The Universe, and Politics 0 Jan 22, 2005 07:07 AM
Make the best lemonade with the lemons you have KDB@KAM Foamies (Kits) 0 Mar 21, 2003 07:54 PM