Old Aug 02, 2015, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,389 Posts
Next time I fly it I'll try to remember. My elevator is probably going to be much different than yours due to the changes I made.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by jstern429
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Dec 2009
131 Posts
Well had some success on the nose gear door, thank god for small servos and sequencers. The only problem I have now is the motor, the main shaft to the outer bell has a very loose fit and one of the set screws was stripped out. Kind of fixed all that with a different shaft and drilling & tapping new holes for the set screws. I am planning on replacing the motor with something better and have one of the Hobby King NTM EF1 1300 kv motors and an Eflite Power 25 1250kv on the way. Will decide on which one after I have both to see which might be easier to install. Still seem not to be able to get a spinner on it that doesn't shake the plane. With the the back plate and prop it spins up fine (balance seems to be good on all parts). May have a problem with the prop shaft. I did fly it as shown in the pictures and it flies great and fast. Doesn't seem to have any bad habits and has plenty of elevator to get it to flair on landing. I did notice that it seems to stick to the runway on take off (and landing) and I really need to pull back on the elevator to get it off the runway. Looks to have a bit of a rake (nose down) so I will have to see if I can adjust the landing gear a bit to try to level it out some, but I kind of like the way it sticks. All in all it was a great experience to build something from scratch and will continue to work on it to fix the small issues I still have.
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Sep 09, 2015, 02:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,389 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for posting the photos!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,613 Posts
Anybody got plans they can share for this? I had gotten some plans about 6 years ago from someone and tried to build it, but the plans weren't very well done and nothing lined up properly. I got too frustrated with it and filed it in the round bin. I'd also, like everything I've wanted to build lately, like to make it bigger. Has anyone enlarged the Shrike with any success? Andy, I really like what you did with the elevators and vertical fins.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Sep 09, 2015, 03:38 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,389 Posts
Thanks TJ. Mine was enlarged from modified plans for the .049 version that Flying Models had. Joe Beshar built one that was much larger, first powered by what looks to be either a .60 or .90, then changed to turbine. It was pretty draggy and the flight videos I've seen weren't impressive; I don't think he adjusted the relatively thick 15% airfoil like he should have.

Some day I'll be making revisions to this size, and when I do it'll be put out probably on Outerzone or maybe a magazine.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2015, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,613 Posts
Cool! I can wait. I've got plenty of other projects to tackle first.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Sep 09, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
528 Posts
Not sure about the plans, but it looks like they came through.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
Old Sep 09, 2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by jstern429
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Dec 2009
131 Posts
Just found these on line. Looks to be a copy of the original Shrike 40 plans.
jstern429 is offline Find More Posts by jstern429
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by JimHSoars
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
672 Posts
Andy,

Is the Shrike40 your own design?

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:09 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,389 Posts
My Shrike is. I used the outline of the electric version published in Flying Models way back, tweaked it a bit, and designed the internals to be appropriate at the size. The Shrike was originally designed by Joe Beshar and he did .049, .10, and .40 sizes as plans (and kitted by Lanier) that I know of. He also built a huge one that originally had probably a .90 on it, later changed to a turbine. It was a bit of a dog at that size, as he kept the thick (15%) airfoil on them all.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by JimHSoars
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
672 Posts
What airfoil(s) did you use Andy.

- Jw
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
34,389 Posts
The current ones are NACA 0015 or 0012. My 43" one uses 0012 at the root and 0015 at the tips, IIRC. I'm reworking the design for S3016 (8%) right now. According to the math I should be able to get an extra 20MPH out of it.

Andy
Site Sponsor