Old Jan 16, 2016, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
89 Posts
Thanks for the update,Mutha.
Btw.,anyone ordering from oz w/house have any luck with the tracking?There are about 3 different Seko tracking sites,but none of them appear to work with HK,s tracking numbers.GGGGRRRR!.
I'll go back to page 65 now,plenty of reading to keep me quite till my bixler 2 arrives.
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:43 PM
Joined Sep 2011
89 Posts
Wow,here in 6 days.Well done,HK Oz.
As for the actual Bixler,appears to be quite nice finish to the foam.
Screws are 2mm and as such seem a bit puny.I bought some 3mm machine screws and 1/8" selftappers to replace them.
Also got some 4mm dowel to fit inside spar.The 1st lot i got claimed to be 4mm,but was closer to 5mm!(?????).Cr*p.Went to a different supplier,taking the spar with me for fit.The short lengths were all too big in diameter,but the 1.8m length fitted good.
I also got the wheel set with my bix,but I'm not too keen on the way it's fitted.
I found an alternative mount on thingiverse,so I'll put my 3d printer to work.
I'll have to wait for my servo extensions to arrive,so I can fit flap servo's.Waiting...........waiting...........
Old Jan 18, 2016, 01:35 AM
Find More Posts by mutha
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,743 Posts
Good luck with it ....
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jan 18, 2016, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by LuxKeiwoker
Joined Mar 2015
51 Posts
Has anyone made the wing magnet mod and is using a compass? Thinking over getting rid of the screws and using some strong magnet to hold the wings together. But I'm worrying over bad influence on the external compass of my APM.
LuxKeiwoker is offline Find More Posts by LuxKeiwoker
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:55 AM
Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
2,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKeiwoker View Post
Has anyone made the wing magnet mod and is using a compass? Thinking over getting rid of the screws and using some strong magnet to hold the wings together. But I'm worrying over bad influence on the external compass of my APM.
Yeah, stay away from the magnets if you are using APM, I even got rid of the cockpit magnets on mine. Use something like the velcro method instead and enjoy rock solid navigation with your APM

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Jan 19, 2016, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by LuxKeiwoker
Joined Mar 2015
51 Posts
Thanks - so in that case I will ditch the idea and will use the screws instead.
LuxKeiwoker is offline Find More Posts by LuxKeiwoker
Old Jan 19, 2016, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
89 Posts
I note there is now a disclaimer on page 1 of the manual:"Do not fly this Airplane at full throttle for long periods of time,recommended 20-25 second burst!"
This means HK knows about the problems with the power setup,yet chooses not to fix them!
I know it's dirt cheap,but that does not excuse selling a plane with an unsuitable motor.By all means put the price up by a couple of dollars,but for goodness sake,put a halfway decent motor in it.Rant off.
I've fitted a 4mm dowel inside the cf spar,which makes it quite a bit stiffer.
Just waiting for my servo extension cables,so i can fit the flap servos.
I've also ordered a 2826-6 1400kv motor from a local supplier.That means it'll cost me 30 bucks,but [I] didn't want to wait another 2 weeks for stuff to arrive.
On a side note,it appears NZ Customs now open all parcels from hobbyking,to check for li-po .
It seems you are no longer allowed to import them.
Another clueless politician at work
Last edited by beaverbuddy; Jan 19, 2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by Cesco
Joined Dec 2007
676 Posts
With original motor/prop i did 14min of flight using a 2200mah 3S lipo down to 3.85V/cell. What flight times can i expect with bigger lipo´s? I got a 3S 2650 and a 3800 here.

Calculating a speed of 50km/h this would be 15km distance for the 2200mah lipo. I need to double that distance ...
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Old Feb 02, 2016, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by zanthor
Dirt Dobbins
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Dec 2014
284 Posts
I got my bixler kit on the Black Friday deal and all I have to say is I'm pissed... that I didn't buy two!

As my first fixed wing it's been a great learning tool but has taken a beating as well. I learned about the boiling water trick to repair the foam yesterday and fixed the crumpled nose from my first bad flight as well as the motor mount that broke yesterday.

Since my canopy blew off I also figured it was time to jump on the FPV train... I think I'll wire up a MinimOSD to a Naze tonight so I can get some artificial horizon action.

zanthor is offline Find More Posts by zanthor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diverse Diversity
Old Feb 05, 2016, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
504 Posts
had my maiden flight of my brand new bixler 2 yesterday. Found out that stock motor is quiet anemic as it struggled to reach higher altitudes.
overall nice plane and much better build than my old dynam hawk sky. just not very happy with the stock motor but eh...its an easy enough upgrade.
Can't wait to FPV her after I upgrade.
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Feb 06, 2016, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by chucky21022002
Joined Oct 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
had my maiden flight of my brand new bixler 2 yesterday. Found out that stock motor is quiet anemic as it struggled to reach higher altitudes.
overall nice plane and much better build than my old dynam hawk sky. just not very happy with the stock motor but eh...its an easy enough upgrade.
Can't wait to FPV her after I upgrade.
This is the difference between a stock motor and the upgrade motor. It is a Ntm prop drive 28mm 2200kv. The Bixler will take off at 1/4 throttle against a headwind of 25mph.

chucky21022002 is offline Find More Posts by chucky21022002
Old Feb 07, 2016, 12:04 AM
Joined Sep 2011
89 Posts
Fitted the 2622/6motor(1400kv)on the reversed stock motor mount.I had to slice the top off the pod to get it out.
I measured 185W at 17A with the stock prop,so with the 30A Plush esc I fitted,I should be sweet.The ASP style 7x5,s have been out of stock for some time ,both international and Oz warehouse
I ordered the wheel set,but I'm not happy with the way it should be fitted.It means slicing into the fuse at what I see as a critical point,so I haven't used this method.I have to tune up my 3d printer,so I can print a better mount for the undercart..The non steerable tail wheel is also quite useless,I'll have to come up with a better idea if I decide to use wheels at all.
In the meantime,hoping for some decent flying weather tomorrow for it,s maiden flight.
Old Feb 07, 2016, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
504 Posts
[QUOTE=chucky21022002;33928860]This is the difference between a stock motor and the upgrade motor. It is a Ntm prop drive 28mm 2200kv. The Bixler will take off at 1/4 throttle against a headwind of 25mph.

Nice! might have to try that
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by Lanza
United States, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Jan 2016
255 Posts
Help to close fuselage without glue

I just ordered the Bixler 2 kit from HK. My goal is to use it as a test platform, first start flying, then install FPV and later a flight controller. So I want to be able to reopen the fuselage from time to time.

Can any of you share pictures and ideas of how to hold together the two halves of the fuselage without using glue?

Thank you!
Lanza is online now Find More Posts by Lanza
Old Feb 09, 2016, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Sudsy
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
1,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanza View Post
I just ordered the Bixler 2 kit from HK. My goal is to use it as a test platform, first start flying, then install FPV and later a flight controller. So I want to be able to reopen the fuselage from time to time.

Can any of you share pictures and ideas of how to hold together the two halves of the fuselage without using glue?

Thank you!
White duct tape.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy