New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2011, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by robwilkinson
Falkland Islands
Joined Dec 2010
64 Posts
Discussion
Dynamic soaring? how tos?

Hi, getting more skills with my 'Bullet' glider now...starting to loop etc. I am keen to learn more on DS stuff. I have been experimenting with bringing my glider in behind the ridgeline and coming in low to exit out over the void in front of the ridge (tend to use rock faces mostly where I live) where you can get some really fast climbouts.

Absolutely love sloping, theres two of us who have been learning over the past few weeks. Getting more airtime than I ever got with powered RC planes and helis its just a pleasure seeking out another site (so we can cover all wind directions for any given day) and finding all those areas where good lift is generated.

I have one each of the Wowings 'Skua' and 'Booby' in the post...might take a few weeks to arrive...sort of my next step in slope gliders
robwilkinson is offline Find More Posts by robwilkinson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by BigSwede
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,784 Posts
Check the Sticky in the DS forum. It's got all you need to know. Of course the site is the most important factor for DS'ing. Ok, I cut and pasted for you;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956513

Good luck!
BigSwede is online now Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Pilot Error
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,745 Posts
Bring your wallet...LOL
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Last edited by screamin' eagle; Dec 08, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
2,133 Posts
Ds

[QUOTE=robwilkinson;20085677]Hi, getting more skills with my 'Bullet' glider now...starting to loop etc. I am keen to learn more on DS stuff. I have been experimenting with bringing my glider in behind the ridgeline and coming in low to exit out over the void in front of the ridge (tend to use rock faces mostly where I live) where you can get some really fast climbouts.

In the beginning, dont go for real windy days, just 10-12 knots is great.
Sharp ridge top is a good thing
And it dont have to be a suicide dive for the first lap. , specialy when the wind relative light, then there is a big arear with dead air at the backside.

DS for beginners
DS for beginners. (1 min 50 sec)

Real light wind DS
Magic Dynamic soaring.. (2 min 3 sec)

12-14 knots and Site wiev at 1:30
The sound of speed, Dsing my Destiny. (1 min 41 sec)

Good luck
S
SpeedsterDEN is offline Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Dec 08, 2011, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by gizzo
Live slow, Die whenever
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,426 Posts
Hey Rob, sounds like your buddy and you are having lots of fun. Keep it up. Can you fly toward yourself inverted? That's a useful skill to have in the DS bag of tricks. Can we have some vid or pics of flying sites you guys use? Looks like spectacular country.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Dec 09, 2011, 01:16 AM
FSD
Find More Posts by FSD
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
United States, CA, Crestline
Joined Apr 2008
2,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Bring your wallet...LOL
I'm still laughing....
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flow 3.5 Maiden With Aeros
Old Dec 09, 2011, 04:35 PM
Falkland Islands
Joined Dec 2010
64 Posts
Hi, yes...bear with me on the picture front...will upload quite soon. I take the camera most times we go gliding...today was a blast...my Buddy had a wind gadget and measured 40mph...at times it easily got up to 50mph and we still managed to fly Thing that has suprised me the most is the lack of ballast needed...I only carried about 25grams (if that...had 3x 2pence coins as ballast) spent a lot of time doing aerobatics...got pretty close to the rocks at times
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
8,886 Posts
Pictures please!

Its good to read a post from you again Rob. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
I'm green with envy of the choice you must have for flying sites there. I have just lost access to a recently found fantastic winter site here. We don't have one (closer than several hundred klms) away here at present.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Dec 10, 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
Falkland Islands
Joined Dec 2010
64 Posts
Forgive me, been lazy with the promise of pics...but will sort this out just after boxing day

Just got back from a great session, must have been gusting a good 50 mph at times...and managed to get some amazing (to me) flying in, getting right in over the rockface and travelling along the ridge face I was picking up some good speed...havent a scooby what I am doing but looked good...and got her back in one piece.

Just got to be patient now...waiting for two of Wowings glider kits to turn up...one Skua 1500 and one Booby. It was cheaper to freight two if I bought two so thought 'what the hell' they will get used, thats for sure.

Happy Christmas btw, have a good one!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Joined Mar 2011
186 Posts
Small Slope DS & Checking In

I have been teaching myself mainly to DS on a rather small hill for a little over a year. The first success was with an Art Hobby Hyper DL but then I tried to fly foam. On the small hill it didn't work all that well but it handled the crashes well.

Now I am back flying the fiberglass gliders and it is easier. So far my best was 50 consecutive laps. Watching the SpeedsterDen videos has helped.

I think I need to get some expo on the elevator. When I get some pretty high speed going the elevator gets too sensitive. So far I have only had a couple of laps where the glider was going fast enough that it was whistling as it came by. Wow is that cool.
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Dec 21, 2015, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,550 Posts
50 laps is good! I am NO expert, but for me in the beginning I think that I was fighting a forward CG. I was able to stay off the elevator more after I moved the CG back.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Dec 21, 2015, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Robert
San Diego North County
Del Mar
Joined Feb 2007
778 Posts
A skua 1500? AKA S15. I have one well weathered one but still a great sloper. It will make a good DS trainer.

I first used a bunch of straping tape and ultracote and that was good for a few years until the nose got mushy (too much DS learning). I cut a big rectangule out of the nose, put in new piece of EPP and removed the covering and ultracote.

Next I recovered It with 10 mil new stuff (laminating film). As far as overall weight it was a push.

Good luck with your DSing and the S15

Mr. Robert
Mr. Robert is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Robert