HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Dec 2009
16 Posts
Question
FPV boat

Hi,

altough I understand it might not sound as exiting as FPV flight, I intend to convert to FPV a large boat rc model.

Preliminary test with ordinary 2 GHz RC equipment shows that at 250-300 m I go in lost link condition (I'm talking about the control link). The antenna onboard is quite low (about 40 cm on water surface), while I hold the transmitter in my hands.
I repeated the test on ground (a large field) , obtaining same results. Things improve dramatically just raising one of the two antennas by some meters: in this condition I can replicate the common experience of RC fliers, of 800-1000 m range.

I navigate on lakes, so waves and direct line-of-sight is not a problem at all. I suspect there are problems related to ground/water proximity (Fresnel zone ?)

I'm targeting about 1 km range.

Any advice ?

Do you believe that lower frequencies (such as Dragon Link/Thomas Sherrer or similiar stuff would help ? (note that effect ground reflections SHOULD worsen at lower frequencies...)
simdur is offline Find More Posts by simdur
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Feb 2007
125 Posts
Hi Simdur,

I believe the close proximity of water tends to cause reflection/multipath, which is of course more accute at higher frequencies - no doubt using UHF such as Dragon @ 433mhz will be better than 2.4ghz. Antenna selection will also have a significant impact. Most RC Sub guys try to use 36/72mhz which penetrates the water much better than higher frequencies too...

Cheers,
Wolf
wolfaroo is offline Find More Posts by wolfaroo