HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2014, 03:03 AM
Joined Sep 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
UMX Radian Range check with DX6i

Hi,

I'm returning to RC after about 40 years away. I have a DMX6i and a UMX Radian. I've only had both about a month. The DMX6i was purchased new, and didn't have any recalls according to the serial numbers.

Here's my question. According to the Spektrum manual for the DMX6i, when I do a range check, I should go at least 30 paces from the plane. But when I do this with the UMX Radian, if fails once I go over 20 paces, and hold down the trainer switch when in range check mode. I tried changing battery's in the UMX, and after that in the transmitter. I also tried another micro that the hobby shop had, and got the same result. After about 24 paces, the planes failed to respond to the controls when in range check mode. At about 20 paces, the UMX Radian responds 100% of the time.

When I contact Horizon, they told me that there was a problem, and to send the transmitter in for repair. But, when they tested it, they didn't find anything wrong with it, and sent it back. Here's my question.

Is it possible that the receiver in the UMX radian, simply won't pass a 30 paces range check, due to the design of the receiver, and length it's internal antenna? That is, is it possible that the transmitter is fine, and that when range checking with the UMX, radian, that 20 paces indicates that all is well, or is there actually some kind of problem with the transmitter that the tech at Horizon didn't find.

I've already lost almost a month of flying due to sending the transmitter back. I'd really like to know if I have a problem or not. Horizon has already send me a shipping label to return the transmitter to check it again, but I'd rather keep flying, if it is safe.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bruce
alterb is offline Find More Posts by alterb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2015, 03:12 PM
Joined Sep 2013
48 Posts
its the micro Rx. i have 3 different ultra micros from Parkzone and eflite. and they all have about the same range test range. but as soon as i range test my other park flyer receivers that aren't a 3n1 i get normal range. the little 3n1 rx's do there best to regulate its power supply to its esc, built in servo's, and the receiver itself.
fockewulf is offline Find More Posts by fockewulf