SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:41 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,314 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Kerry and Shane.
I don't have rudders, but with this flight it is so easy to fly that I don't think I will install them. With the power setup I have right now it's fairly quick, but the thrust to weight is very close to 1.5:1. Crazy vertical. On the next flight I will get a true amps/watt/weight reading.

John
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 01:57 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,350 Posts
John , so great to hear of a successful flight. I may be retired, but so much in the way right now-- progress on mine has come to a stand still. Time to go through my building area start tossing stuff- early spring cleaning-- just no room to work.

With luck I'll get back on mine, next week. Got to have something to learn on, when it comes time to build this--
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Mar 03, 2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 02:43 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
John , so great to hear of a successful flight. I may be retired, but so much in the way right now-- progress on mine has come to a stand still. Time to go through my building area start tossing stuff- early spring cleaning-- just no room to work.

With luck I'll get back on mine, next week. Got to have something to learn on, when it comes time to build this--
Thanks, I'm glad it went well too
That's a great looking fuse, do you have the specs? Size, manufacturer etc? Would love to make a pusher out of something like that.

john
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:49 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,350 Posts
Here you go-- http://www.yellowaircraft.com/jets/f18s.htm

I paid around $400.00 for it-- although it was missing a few small parts-old kit that's why the lower price--got them from fellow members in a short time.

Retracts , struts and wheels . where even more than the kit!

If you don't mind doing some building/fabrication-- give Charles a call and sere if he has a fuse left--but don't wait too long--these are going the way of the dinosaurs--extinct.
his number is here-- http://www.yellowaircraft.com/order.htm

If he has one left. it will be a polyester fuse-- which I've been told, is lighter than epoxy? Good luck on your quest!
Mark
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2008
6,350 Posts
Quote:
Would love to make a pusher out of something like that.
That would maker one big arsed pusher for sure--
Definitely not a belly lander -- unless you own stock in as prop company~!
length:......................67.5"
Wing Span:......................47"
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:04 AM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
That would maker one big arsed pusher for sure--
Definitely not a belly lander -- unless you own stock in as prop company~!
length:......................67.5"
Wing Span:......................47"
Cooler,

Our foamie's are not much different in size to that one, no? But the yellow F18 looks huge

John
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:38 AM
Joined Dec 2008
6,350 Posts
John, yes they are close- but ours/mine are/is onl;y 64.5 " long-- and ws is only 44" or so. Also a big difference in fuse width. The Y/A is much wider.

You will only notice that when you come to install retracts. With the gear I have, and a JF 90, not to much room to squeeze it all in.. Just barely

As a pusher, belly lander , you'd never see the difference. .... Anyway, that build is a ways off right now-Just wanted to get one B-4 there all gone.. I may have got the last one of the polyester fuses. ???

My shop/building area was looking like I was a hoarder.. time to clean house.. ... early spring cleaning! My younger son and his wife came over yesterday and disposed o f some stuff for me..

Don't get me wrong here-- after my stroke I'm not an invalid-- but no way can I wrestle a couch out the door any more!...Got a couple of lazy-boys coming tomorrow, needed the room.

Still have lots more cleaning to do, but it takes time-- can't stand for a long time, and my balance it still a bit off. Makes for an interesting day!