Old Apr 09, 2015, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Yesterday, I performed a test with my DR to check if the battery was still okay. I let the motors run for about 8 minutes at half throttle while holding the plane with one hand. During that time, I decided to use the right stick (Mode 2) to simulate some turns. The ailerons moved as expected but something else occurred as well which caught me by surprise. One of the props stopped spinning. When I released the stick, both props were spinning again. Later, I moved the right stick in the opposite direction and shortly after that, the other prop stopped spinning. Is this normal?

Previously, I was under the impression that turning with the right stick only made the ailerons move. And that turning with the left stick made one motor run faster and the other motor slower.
When I was testing my DR after binding it to the DX8, I noticed (for the first time), that at extreme aileron input, the opposite motor would turn. Kind of surprising, but it makes sense - a built in "aileron-rudder" elevon-differential thrust type mix with lots of exponential.
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2015, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
1,886 Posts
Just put all three of my packs through my DR, and once again I've come home with it in one piece and feeling pretty positive about this plane.. I've been in RC for a long time, and I've learned that when people talk about what is "best", there is usually no objective answer. It depends on each individual's variables. And in my case, the DR is really just the perfect size. It's perfect for smallish city parks, and for that reason to me it's an absolutely great plane.

Now if they would just make one with brushless motors it'd be way more perfecter.... Please Horizon.. A brushless Delta Ray would sell!.. Absolutely beginner friendly due to its floatiness etc.. But with way more of a fun factor compared to its current turdy brushed motors...
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Apr 11, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Joined Feb 2014
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecat View Post
I've got a troubleshooting question.

My DR spent about 4 days in a tree, with the first day and half of those four being very misty and lightly raining. I got it down yesterday. Bear in mind, this was the first flight after swapping in new pro 180 motors. Very sad day.

As I was checking it out to make sure all was well, I noticed that it stuttered at full throttle. The elevons worked just fine. I took it outside and opened up the throttle again. This time, one engine stayed at full throttle even after I turned it down. I had to disconnect the the battery to stop it.

The burning smell was quite strong and it seemed to come from both the engine and the control board. Both were also hot. The engine more so than the board.

Does anyone have tips on how I can figure out which part went bad (the engine or the board) without having to order and replace all of them first? I'm pretty sure the engine is toast either way, but I don't really want to order a new receiver if I don't have to.
My regular flying bud just called and reported his ESC brick is burnt out. Happened on his second flight after installing his Pro 180 motors. He said it is one of the smaller FETs on the board and not the ones he was trying to get doubled (he had sent it off to have FETs added but that turned into a lack of service fiasco and he got impatient so he got it back and went ahead based on the success some others here have reported).

He said when it shorted out one of the motors went to full throttle and he was lucky to be able to land it that way. All of this was just after moving everything over to a new airframe.

So if the oem motors don't work correctly when you put them back in, the next thing to check is to look over the RX/ESC brick for a burnt component. Or you might want to check that first since you'll have to pull the wires anyway.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Apr 11, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Rain1dog
United States, LA, Kenner
Joined Sep 2014
935 Posts
Yeah, I searched and searched and searched. In the woods, canal banks, huge open fields... I'm shocked that somebody has called either for my delta Ray and Radian. You can't pawn them...

I guess somebody looks it up, sees its price then goes and buys a radio..
Rain1dog is offline Find More Posts by Rain1dog
Old Apr 11, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
SEMPER FI
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,165 Posts
I just ripped through 5 packs with my Xtreme Pro 180 Delta Ray. Flew over a lake the entire time, kept trying to tail drag it in the water, almost had it but did not want to dunk it. Good times today! Flying weather is absolutely PERFECT! Ran a few batteries through my Inspire 1 also, what a day!! I absolutely love coming home from flying multiple crafts and having 0 issues.

If you guys are good and don;t need any other stock motor vs. Xtreme Pro 180 motors tests I am going to swap my other DR with the extra pair of Xtreme Pro 180 motors and get the Delta Ray Float Plane rocking more power so I can finish up the video. Happy Flying guys!
JUCD VPR is online now Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
Old Apr 12, 2015, 03:29 AM
Find More Posts by pulluptoga
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2015
27 Posts
Just upgraded to a DX7S tx. Binding to the DR went well and it flew well too, after a bit of messing around trying to figure out how to access advanced mode. Can't remember which switch allowed me to go from Beginner to Advanced mode, I think it was the Gear or F Mode switch?

Is there something I'm supposed to program to be able to access the flight modes or will it just somehow end up being switched and I just have to play with all the switches to find out?

I didn't try it but should the Trainer/Bind button work as the "oh crap" switch?

New to the hobby, about three months, and this is my first radio after the DX4e so any input appreciated.

Cheers.
pulluptoga is offline Find More Posts by pulluptoga
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:42 PM
Find More Posts by RexGalore
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluptoga View Post
Just upgraded to a DX7S tx. Binding to the DR went well and it flew well too, after a bit of messing around trying to figure out how to access advanced mode. Can't remember which switch allowed me to go from Beginner to Advanced mode, I think it was the Gear or F Mode switch?

Is there something I'm supposed to program to be able to access the flight modes or will it just somehow end up being switched and I just have to play with all the switches to find out?

I didn't try it but should the Trainer/Bind button work as the "oh crap" switch?

New to the hobby, about three months, and this is my first radio after the DX4e so any input appreciated.

Cheers.
From what I can tell, the DX7s has a 2-position Flight Mode switch. It appears that when you follow the switch setting programming in the Delta Ray BNF manual:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/HBZ7980-Manual_EN.pdf
that you will have Flight Mode on your Flap switch.

And yes, the trainer/bind button is the "oh crap" switch.

I predict that you'll like your "radio upgrade"!
RexGalore is online now Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Apr 12, 2015, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by pulluptoga
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2015
27 Posts
RexG, thanks for the tip. Hadn't stuck my nose in the manual for that one. There it is in black and white!

So far loving the DX7s. A few extra switches to figure out. Experimenting with 10% Expo on the DR and I really like it. Makes high speed flyby's that much less twitchy. Can't wait to find the time to set up and fly my ArtiZan on it.

Set up all three Dual Rate switches at 100 and 70 %, but with the Expo I don't really see myself using Dual Rates. Maybe if I give someone else a go they might find that handy.

Really liking the countdown feature too. No more fumbling with my mobile phone for that one!

I thought that the DX4e was all I really needed. I guess I probably could have got by with it, but this is a whole new world of fiddling!
pulluptoga is offline Find More Posts by pulluptoga
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by DrewC
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain1dog View Post
Yeah, I searched and searched and searched. In the woods, canal banks, huge open fields... I'm shocked that somebody has called either for my delta Ray and Radian. You can't pawn them...

I guess somebody looks it up, sees its price then goes and buys a radio..
How do you keep losing these? Are they being blown away, are you losing signal, just bad luck? Are you sure your radio is working well?
DrewC is offline Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
476 Posts
My maiden flight with my DR today. Wind <5mph but in a slightly restricted space (landing area - clear once airborne). Boy does it like to float! A great aircraft and very agile (for me) in advanced mode. I have not flown for about 4 years but found the basic mode too limiting to correct for the wind. And Advanced just a little challenging but I survived. However, would like to programme my DX6i to give Intermediate mode and Advanced. I have searched the thread without luck but may just be a bit stupid. I would prefer not to use a combo of switches - I have enough on my mind as it is. Anyone have a setting for Intermediate and Advanced? My current setting Basic / Advanced is on the Gear switch. Still a great plane! Thanks - Ratty
Hangar Rat is online now Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2014
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC View Post
How do you keep losing these? Are they being blown away, are you losing signal, just bad luck? Are you sure your radio is working well?
Can't answer for someone else but today was pretty interesting ... my regular bud had his Pro180s burn out his RX brick in his DR last week and yesterday his Sky Surfer went wild again and crashed into the top of a tree. I've seen it do this 3 times ... stuff happens.

Anyway, today we went back out and he cut down the tree (it is in a wild, swampy section full of thistles and fallen trees due to feast and famine of rain and roots being eroded. As it came down the plane was about 6 feet up with the tree top just barely inside the outermost part of the tree and brush line. He got all of his electronics but the nose was gone, the tail was good but broken off (3rd? time) and the wing was in one piece but pretty dinged up.

He's rebuilt it 5 or 6 times now, the last requiring a new scratch built nose from the wings forward and now needing another. For a while he thought maybe it was tip stalls but now he's leaning to his FS T6 or the FS RX. (or possibly his A3 stabilizer that was added after the 2nd crash). I've lent him a lemon RX to try it with his Spektrum TX. But maybe he'll also try it for his secret brushless Delta Ray project.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar Rat View Post
My maiden flight with my DR today. Wind <5mph but in a slightly restricted space (landing area - clear once airborne). Boy does it like to float! A great aircraft and very agile (for me) in advanced mode. I have not flown for about 4 years but found the basic mode too limiting to correct for the wind. And Advanced just a little challenging but I survived. However, would like to programme my DX6i to give Intermediate mode and Advanced. I have searched the thread without luck but may just be a bit stupid. I would prefer not to use a combo of switches - I have enough on my mind as it is. Anyone have a setting for Intermediate and Advanced? My current setting Basic / Advanced is on the Gear switch. Still a great plane! Thanks - Ratty
Look at the monitor for channel 5. I think you can move the travel adjust to eliminate beginner. and just have intermediate and advanced. Flap will still give you panic with self-level.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Apr 15, 2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Sarge707
United States, CT, Southington
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
I would pay More for a Brushless Delta Ray Also because when the winds are 10 Plus MPH with gusts to 20 it is the Plane of choice for me and I can sit floating in the wind at 20% throttle and just pretend I'm flying a kite!!!
Sarge707 is offline Find More Posts by Sarge707
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by RonGB
United States, OK, Bristow
Joined Jan 2014
12 Posts
go to this link set up your dx6i to it and I KNOW it is not the set up shown for the D-Ray but it will work and you will have all 3 modes and dual rates and a panic switch it will require the use of 2 switches to have all 3 modes and the trainer will not be your panic switch. I have set mine up and checked it out but have not flown it this way yet but a friend put me onto it and he flies his this way http://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cu...nology-hbz4480
check out the manual and set up your tx as it show's how to do it as it is different than the way theD-Ray manual show's
RonGB is offline Find More Posts by RonGB
Last edited by RonGB; Apr 15, 2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old Today, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
476 Posts
Having had a good, if short session with my DR today, I decided to check the C of G. According to foregoing posts, it is supposed to be 365mm forward to the tail cone tip. OK fine. With battery and cover in place but without undercarrage the c of g is too far aft (tail heavy) of that point (+- 15 mm) . I fly without U/C because of the grass on the field outside my house. Puzzle / Re-measure / Puzzle. Bingo! With Undercarrage off, the weight of the nose undercarriage, about 8 grams, 300mm forward of the C of G - is missing - so aircraft is tail heavy.
I weighed the nose undercarrage assembly and it came out at 8 grams. I cut a piece of lead (solder would probably do) to fit the nose wheel strut mounting point and attached it into the place where the nose undercarrage fits using packing tape - just in case I want to replace the u/c. Placed some suitable sized wire into the u/c mounting holes on either side (not my idea but from this forum) and checked the c of g. Mine 'flops' onto nose or tail depending on where I push it, so it is about right. The flight test showed that the aircraft was much more stable. Minor adjustments to the C of G can be made by moving the battery.
Incidentally, I may be reiterating what someone else has said - if so I apologise!
Cheers
Ratty
Hangar Rat is online now Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Last edited by Hangar Rat; Today at 10:23 AM. Reason: edited for clarity