New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by siriusflier
GOT WINGS
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
3,150 Posts
SiXPaX, sounds like you need to take off the thumbpads and fit some sticks on your transmitter. In the center of the thumbpads is a little plastic cap glued in, comes off easily by prying. Then there is a little screw to remove, after that the thumbpads come off easily. Look at attachments on this thread to get ideas on what to replace the thumbpads with. Makes a big difference to me, I do it to all my txs that come with thumbpads.
siriusflier is online now Find More Posts by siriusflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by SiXPaX
X5C-1, Eye One Xtreme!
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2015
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
SiXPaX, sounds like you need to take off the thumbpads and fit some sticks on your transmitter. In the center of the thumbpads is a little plastic cap glued in, comes off easily by prying. Then there is a little screw to remove, after that the thumbpads come off easily. Look at attachments on this thread to get ideas on what to replace the thumbpads with. Makes a big difference to me, I do it to all my txs that come with thumbpads.
Yeah, I was looking at the thread pics and saw some of those that changed the thumbpads. I will have to look into that for sure thanks!!!!

Well crap!!! I have poked and prodded and scraped the heck out of the thumbpads and the cover will not come off!!!!
Maybe I have to get out the dremel tool and drill the cover off....
SiXPaX is online now Find More Posts by SiXPaX
Last edited by SiXPaX; Yesterday at 05:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by ShawnecJP
Joined Mar 2015
191 Posts
I just came back from a nice morning flying in my new frame. I found some slight instabilities and unfortunately I crashed pretty hard a couple of times but luckily the frame held up
In my last crash which was actually the last flight of the day I found that I was in the middle of a Banking turn and my EOX wasn't responding as I had at full throttle and was trying to bring it back up again. I'm wondering if it was a battery issue or not meaning that I had no more juice left . Since I have taken my LEDs off it's hard to gauge and I'm using a timer but I seem to keep forgetting to turn it on when I start flying .
There was another time that I went up pretty high and when I tried to come back down again it wasn't responding very well.
Kind of weird. Sometimes it's in the air and it's moving towards you but it's too far away to see the movement because of the angle that you're looking at it so maybe that was the case and the situation too?

There were a couple times after the first crash when I started up the motors they didn't start simultaneously and one of them took one or two seconds to power up ....
I blew out the dirt from one of the motors after a crash but it could've been that there was just a piece of sand inside the motor shell.....
Overall it was a nice morning
ShawnecJP is offline Find More Posts by ShawnecJP
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
X5C-1, Eye One Xtreme!
Joined Feb 2015
297 Posts
So I put on my 150mm props and took her out for a quick test flight. I like the larger props much better! So here I am flying the quad maybe about 50-60 feet in the air flying back to me, then when I tried to reverse course so I would not lose sight of it over my house it completely stopped responding. I thought, oh great, here comes a flyaway and Im going to lose my quad!! Then I remembered someone said they turned off the remote to prevent this. So as I was running around to the front of my house I shut off the TX. Just as I made it into my front yard I heard a rather distinct crunch sound (like that of plastic hitting concrete). I finally located it in the middle of the street, luckily no cars came by to run it over. I was shocked to discover that nothing was broken!!!! Later when I put the battery on the charger I noticed that it was no longer shiny and smooth on the bottom, I guess it hit the pavement. I checked it out and decided it was cosmetic damage only as the voltages seemed fine and the charger did not give any errors.

Why did I lose control of the quad at a max of maybe 75 feet???? Very strange, maybe the router in my house affected the communication? But at least the failsafe did its job! Has anyone done an antenna mod on these stock TX?

I am assuming switching to a Devo 7e PPM would pretty much remove any controlling distance concerns??
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,403 Posts
Were you in visual contact with the EOX when you shut off the transmitter? It doesn't sound as if it came down nice and slow like it's supposed to. Again, what is it with these things not responding? When you got to it, what was the mode LED showing?
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
X5C-1, Eye One Xtreme!
Joined Feb 2015
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Were you in visual contact with the EOX when you shut off the transmitter? It doesn't sound as if it came down nice and slow like it's supposed to. Again, what is it with these things not responding? When you got to it, what was the mode LED showing?
It had just gone over my house when I shut off the TX. I believe it was blinking red but I have not trained myself to check for these things yet. It was not a dead battery or anything as I reset it and continued to fly, though at very low alt and messed with alt hold a bit. When I noticed it not responding it was about 50 feet up and maybe 20 max feet in front of me with nothing in the way. And remembering the amount of time that passed from when I turned off the TX to when I heard the crash it was for sure not a free fall so perhaps the failsafe kicked in as it should have. Otherwise a free fall from 70 feet directly onto concrete would have broken at least something. It was sitting in the middle of the road face up on the landing gear as though it had actually landed.
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by ShawnecJP
Joined Mar 2015
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXPaX View Post
It had just gone over my house when I shut off the TX. I believe it was blinking red but I have not trained myself to check for these things yet. It was not a dead battery or anything as I reset it and continued to fly, though at very low alt and messed with alt hold a bit. When I noticed it not responding it was about 50 feet up and maybe 20 max feet in front of me with nothing in the way. And remembering the amount of time that passed from when I turned off the TX to when I heard the crash it was for sure not a free fall so perhaps the failsafe kicked in as it should have. Otherwise a free fall from 70 feet directly onto concrete would have broken at least something. It was sitting in the middle of the road face up on the landing gear as though it had actually landed.
Lucky nothing was damaged !
I wasn't as lucky on my first sport mode flight....

Please check the frame where the arms attach to the main body to be sure there are no cracks in there. Put a little bit of pressure on the arms while you're doing this to see.
I was still able to fly a little bit before I quit when I had noticed that during a crash one of my arms are cracked right at the base of the body.
ShawnecJP is offline Find More Posts by ShawnecJP
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
3,150 Posts
sixpax, reread my previous post: "In the center of the thumbpads is a little plastic cap glued in, comes off easily by prying. Then there is a little screw to remove, after that the thumbpads come off easily." . The little plastic cap is less than 1/4 inch diameter.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
X5C-1, Eye One Xtreme!
Joined Feb 2015
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
sixpax, reread my previous post: "In the center of the thumbpads is a little plastic cap glued in, comes off easily by prying. Then there is a little screw to remove, after that the thumbpads come off easily." . The little plastic cap is less than 1/4 inch diameter.
They must have used the whole bottle of glue or whatever on my TX because literally the entire cavity was filled with something.....

I broke out the dremel and cleared out the middle of the pads to get to the screw which came out nicely. For now I have "borrowed" the sticks and screws from my X5C-1 TX...... Does it matter what kind of sticks I buy or will just about any fit? I see HK has both Futaba and JR...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnecJP View Post
Lucky nothing was damaged !
I wasn't as lucky on my first sport mode flight....

Please check the frame where the arms attach to the main body to be sure there are no cracks in there. Put a little bit of pressure on the arms while you're doing this to see.
I was still able to fly a little bit before I quit when I had noticed that during a crash one of my arms are cracked right at the base of the body.
I think that with the short legs on it the arms bent a little and the velcro strap and battery took a majority of the force.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
GOT WINGS
Joined Apr 2012
3,150 Posts
I recently bought these http://www.banggood.com/M3-Anti-Slip...-p-934114.html from Bangood. But you have to supply your own 3mm screws, I already had some. I just cut off the head of the screw and threaded it into the shafts on the transmitter. I got the 27mm and 30mm sticks, the 30s are really too long for my taste, but I can shorten the bottom part to make them work. . Looks like the JR sticks are for 4mm bolts/screws. Let us know if you like the transmitter better with sticks. I got fairly used to flying my Xtreme with the stick equipped tx.
Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by fmimages
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2010
371 Posts
A few anomalies ...
It stopped dead in flight and came down and there was no power on board. I waited a while and re hooked the battery it fired right up (after checking bat voltage) and everything went smooth after that.

I had another problem. Somebody started talking to me and the props were going in low speed on the ground and I forgot they were spinning. I went back to flying the quad and it started flipping over to the left side. I restarted and took out the battery but the same thing happened. So I re calibrated and it worked fine after that.

This was all in one day with 4 batteries. I had other problems but they were mine and not the copter.
fmimages is offline Find More Posts by fmimages
Old Today, 06:12 AM
Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,403 Posts
If it was just sitting there with the motors at idle, I don't understand why the gyros needed to be recalibrated. Even if the gyros were off some, I don't see why it would flip. Losing power mid flight is not a fun thing. After over a year, there are still too many unexplained things going on, maybe because they were never adequately addressed.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Today, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by DeadTrout
Joined Dec 2013
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
If it was just sitting there with the motors at idle, I don't understand why the gyros needed to be recalibrated. Even if the gyros were off some, I don't see why it would flip. Losing power mid flight is not a fun thing. After over a year, there are still too many unexplained things going on, maybe because they were never adequately addressed.
FUD Master. If you look long and hard enough, and throw enough conjecture into your posts - I am sure you can conjure up the feeling that issues were 'never adequately addressed' :roll eyes:

What value is there to your incessant guesswork in these threads, and spreading of misinformation kodak? It's old... and I don't think it helps anyone.

You:"It doesn't sound as if it came down nice and slow like it's supposed to..."
SixPaX:"I turned off the TX to when I heard the crash it was for sure not a free fall so perhaps the failsafe kicked in as it should have. Otherwise a free fall from 70 feet directly onto concrete would have broken at least something."

You... OK... I'll move onto another person's post, and see if I can't create some FUD there.

Really? It feels like every one of your posts are trying to stir the pot. Why not just ask questions without throwing out FUD commentary? Sorry - it's just I see you spewing this crap over and over again, and wonder what your motive is? It can't be furthering the RCL team's efforts, as it seems no matter what they do, you attack.

/vent off
DT
DeadTrout is offline Find More Posts by DeadTrout