SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
New Product
SeaGull Mini Sparrowhawk

Looks like Seagull is getting into the park flyer buisness. The Sparrowhawk is one of three new Seagull park flyer planes.

Here is the link...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...hawk-ep-SEAX68

Specs
Plane Type: Scale Civilian
Experience Level: Intermediate
Power Plant Size: 450-480 Electric
Recommended Environment: Outdoor
Fuel Type: Electric
Wingspan: 35.4 in (900mm)
Overall Length: 29.6 in (752mm)
Wing Area: 235.6 sq. in. (15.2 sq. dm.)
Flying Weight: 1.4-1.9 lb (0.63-0.85 kg)
Motor Size: 450- to 480-size motor
Radio: 4-channel minimum radio system
Servos: 4 mini servos required
Prop Size: 10 x 5 Electric Propeller
Speed Control: 30-Amp Brushless
Recommended Motor Battery: 11.1V 3S 1800-2100mAh
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,082 Posts
These models look great!!
Couldn't help myself,so I just ordered one
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Last edited by bouncebk2003; Jul 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 08:40 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
Bounce you will not be disappointed. Picked up my SparrowHawk today at the LHS. They just received them in.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
I picked up my Sparrowhawk up today. I had to start when I got home and took the following pictures and I have the following comments....

The plane is built very light.

Instructions are good, but sometime a little misleading. For example, you might need needle value extension.

There is no information for servo sizes or minimum torque.

There is no information on servo length extensions.

Wheels are very small so, takeoffs from grass will be a no-no, unless you are flying from AstroTurf grass.

The pilot which comes with the plane looks more like a “jet” pilot then a 1930’s racer.

The rudder and elevator servos are mounted on the outside of the fuse at the rear.

Covering on mine was nice and tight. I only had a touch up a few areas.

They use a sliding firewall on which to mount the motor. However there are no measurements for location of motor or cowl.

As for tonight’s build I got the first three sections of the manual done. These sections include hinging the control surfaces, mounting the control horns, and adding the quick connectors to the horns.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,777 Posts
Wow,

Thanks for sharing you thoughts on this aircraft. Interesting thread.

Good luck!

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Bounce you will not be disappointed. Picked up my SparrowHawk today at the LHS. They just received them in.
Thanks for the pics and the insight.Mine has shipped from Horizon Hobby so it should be here any day now.I might just swap out that pilot.I'll have to see what my stock of pilots are,and save this guy for an edf project.I have an EFLITE 450 laying around and I 'm thinking it should be plenty of motor for this plane.I'm not looking for it to hover,I just want decent power and aerobatic capability.I'll make my decision when I see it.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
I got a chance to get some more work done on the Sparrowhawk.

I am using E-Flite S-75 servos, E-Flite Park 450 Motor and an E-Flite 25 AMP ESC.

I determined the S-75 servos fit in the aileron servo blocks without modifications. I installed 3 inch extensions to the aileron servos.

There are two rectangular cuts on each side of the fuse at the tail. One large and the other one is small. I know this because I cut them both open only to determine neither would fit the S-75 servo. So I recovered the larger ones and modified the smaller cut outs to fit the S-75 servos. Also, I determine a 12 inch extension is needed for the rudder and elevator servos.

As for the firewall, it is made of 2 pieces of hard balsa lamented together. There is a hole in it to allow the motor bushing to fit through. This hole is off center by 1/16 of inch to the right when looking at it. According to Horizon this is correct. Another concern is the holes for the T-nuts which hold the motor to the mount are very close to the top of the motor mount. But, after consulting the directions I noticed some triangle stock is glue to the motor mount and to the sides of the fuse where it connects. This triangle stock and epoxy will yield a very light and strong mount for the motor. (As a side note, the triangle is not included in the box, but is mentioned in the directions.) When you look at the pictures attached, you will notice the motor has some right and down thrust built into it, which is why the motor was not installed on the center of the mount.

Here are today's pictures. The wings with servos installed along with the firewall, motor mount and installed on the plane.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:06 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
II finished installing the rudder and elevator servos in the fuse and glued the tail feathers onto the plane. Not much left to do; just have to mount the cowl, install the landing gear, install the electronics, balance the plane and setting the throws.

I am debating on whether to mount the landing gear and splats because of our very rough grass field. I will only be able to hand launch the plane.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by AL1EN
Bombs Away...
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Nov 2009
264 Posts
Could you take a pic of how the landing gear mount even if you decided not to mount them.
AL1EN is offline Find More Posts by AL1EN
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
475 Posts
Whoa! Looks great but $139 seems steep since I bought the 72" 120 size Seagull Sparrowhawk for $149 + free shipping from Horizon several months ago!
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Good lookin' plane. My first thought was the landing gear....how would they work, hold up, etc. Looks as if you couldn't land on grass unless it was like a golf green....and as someone who typically lands in a parking lot I can say that my strip is very unforgiving in relation to any mishap.

Got any flying vids? Let's see 'er in action!
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Last edited by whowhatwhere; Jul 25, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
I finished the electronics, cowl, landing gear, and headrest and windshield installation tonight.

For the cowl installation, I am not sure if there is any hardwood installed behind the fuse sides where the cowl screws would go. There is no way to look into the area because it is built up. The cowl has to be pushed very hard to get it to sit back far enough for the motor to clear. It also has to cover the gap between the battery cover and a former. According to the instructions you use two small screws to hold the cowl in place. However, these screws are not long enough and I did not have faith that two screws would be sufficient. Therefore, I used three #2 button screws. I put two #2 screws in the location show in the instructions and I put the third screw on the bottom. One concern I had was getting air to the ESC. The instructions mention to make some cut outs in the cowl for the motor. Since the motor was already cut out, I added additional cut out for ESC cooling. The one picture shows the location on where I made the cut out for ESC cooling.

As for the landing gear, there are slots on the bottom of the wing. I had to enlarge the landing gear hole using a 1/8 drill so the landing gear would sit into the slot. The landing gear does not fit flush in the slot. Not sure if this will be a problem. Also, the landing gear does not have any forward bend in them; again not sure if this will be a problem or not. One of the pictures attached show two blocks which are to be glued into the wing. The splats slide over the landing gear and held in place by screws which are screwed into the blocks.
There is not much left to do on the plane. I am hoping to have it ready for its first flight on Sunday. I am still debating on whether to install the splats.

Check out the pictures and let me know what you think. I included a picture of “jet” pilot figure which I will replace.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
Al1EN,

Do the pictures answer your question on the landing gear?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by mickydee
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,777 Posts
Hi,

You are going to jinx yourself...... Those are spats, Not "Splatz" as in splat....
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old Jul 28, 2012, 07:04 AM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
505 Posts
I ran into the first major problems with Sparrowhawk.

I glued the spats support blocks into the wing. However, when I fitted the spats onto the block is pushes the spats towards the leading edge of the wing. This places the wheel towards the rear of the spats. Looks like I will need to remove some of the forward block to allow the spats to fit on the wing correctly.

The next problem I encountered was connecting the linkages between the servos and control surfaces. The wire provided is very thin and bends easily under the straining of moving the surfaces. Since I am going out of town for the weekend, I will stop at LHS and look for bigger wire or a tube which can be used to stiffen the wire as it moves forward and back.

I will take some pictures on Sunday and post them.