Aug 24, 2010, 09:22 PM
Whirled Peas
... and if it is gone, windy. Or you're in a bad neighbourhood.

Back to the original premise ... if thoughts of God calm Believers and stress atheists, what do they do for the agnostics, besides confuse them?
Aug 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
I think Jefferson had it right when he called the book of Revelations the ravings of a maniac.
Aug 24, 2010, 10:16 PM
It seems to me that science is generally better than religion at dealing with uncertainty. Good science continually attempts to correct itself with increasingly better data and methods. Contrarily, many religions are stuck with ancient "data" and a great reluctance to correct or even acknowledge errors. Good science seeks to disprove its ideas and even rewards those who manage to do so convincingly. Contrarily, seeking to disprove a religious dogma may be considered sinful by it's adherents (kind of a self-preservation scheme). Science will often say, "we don't know, we're working on it, here are some ideas." Religion will often say (in essence), "we do know, but don't ask too many questions. Claiming to know the future, what's in store after death and what God wants us not to eat (for example) seems rather arrogant. Science seems modest by comparison.

Simply put, religion makes large claims but, offers no evidence.
Last edited by Bflat; Aug 24, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Aug 24, 2010, 10:51 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer
... and if it is gone, windy. Or you're in a bad neighbourhood.

Back to the original premise ... if thoughts of God calm Believers and stress atheists, what do they do for the agnostics, besides confuse them?
Probably bad neighborhood... lol

Agnostics... do they even care?
or are they just whatever kind of people?
Aug 24, 2010, 11:20 PM
S: (n) agnostic: a person who claims that they cannot have true knowledge about the existence of God (but does not deny that God might exist)

Yeap, that describes my position pretty well......
Aug 25, 2010, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval
Probably bad neighborhood... lol

Agnostics... do they even care?
or are they just whatever kind of people?
Care

It's not about 'caring' - it's about knowledge - we certainly care about the science and logic and if there is a god then I would be more than interested
Aug 25, 2010, 06:40 AM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yucafrita
S: (n) agnostic: a person who claims that they cannot have true knowledge about the existence of God (but does not deny that God might exist)

Yeap, that describes my position pretty well......
More commonly called a fence sitter.......I can hear them in front of the Judgment Seat....."I never said you weren't, I just never really believed it, but then I never really denied it, I just didn't know because you never really revealed yourself to me.....well no, I never really tried to talk to you.....what, you revealed yourself to me through creation.....well I always thought it was a big bang or something......but it wasn't my fault, all my friends said you didn't exists.....you can't blame me....can you?"
Aug 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
More commonly called a fence sitter.......I can hear them in front of the Judgment Seat....."I never said you weren't, I just never really believed it, but then I never really denied it, I just didn't know because you never really revealed yourself to me.....well no, I never really tried to talk to you.....what, you revealed yourself to me through creation.....well I always thought it was a big bang or something......but it wasn't my fault, all my friends said you didn't exists.....you can't blame me....can you?"
And I say that you'll probably never know because on the vast probability of balance there is no 'Judgement Seat' (what a truly disgusting concept that is anyway...)!
Aug 25, 2010, 07:14 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
Care

It's not about 'caring' - it's about knowledge - we certainly care about the science and logic and if there is a god then I would be more than interested
Ok never mind......... it obviously stresses some Agnostics. Possibly though it only stresses the anti-Christian agnostics.

back to my original point, Real Agnostics don't "care" and don't get stressed or calmed over the talk of God.
Aug 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Ok never mind......... it obviously stresses some Agnostics. Possibly though it only stresses the anti-Christian agnostics.
You CAN'T be an 'anti Christian' Agnostic

That's like saying you're a Pro Christian Muslim
Aug 25, 2010, 07:28 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE
You CAN'T be an 'anti Christian' Agnostic

That's like saying you're a Pro Christian Muslim
So you are not Agnostic then..... but we knew that.
Aug 25, 2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
So you are not Agnostic then..... but we knew that.
What an odd response - yes I am agnostic - I am neither pro nor anti any religion - if you have a god that you wish to worship along with your fellow believers, then that's fine in my book - old men with white beards - golden cows - statues and idols - ideas and notions - whatever does it for you.

I am open to the notion that one of the (literally) hundreds of different religions has some basis in reality - and equally open to the notion that none do!

On the basis of probability - they are all 'equally wrong' - which doesn't neccesarily mean that is the case - but a betting man would look at those odds very closely!
Aug 25, 2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ
What evidence is there for what you're claiming to know about this judgment seat scenario?
Last edited by Bflat; Aug 25, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Aug 25, 2010, 08:37 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflat
What evidence is there for what you're claiming to know about this judgment seat scenario?
In my opinion, outside of LcJ's imagination, absolutely nothing.
Aug 25, 2010, 09:12 AM
The Great White Throne Judgement Seat comes from the Bible, not from LcJ.
At the end of Christ's reign down here, He will judge men and women who were not part of the 1st Resurrection. Those judged at the 2nd Resurrection will have their day before Christ.
For those who don't believe evidence of the Bible, i remind them that Jerusalem, Israel, and the Jews still exist today....against all odds, against all persecution, against the ways of the world. When those 3 things cease to exist, the unbelievers will have won this battle.

Quick Reply