SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2015, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by sitalk
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
Modern alternative to Hyperion Eos720I Net 3

Hello, I need a new balancer+charger, and I'm looking for something in the 150$ price range.
Reading around I see some of the Hyperion chargers were quite popular.

The Hyperion Eos720I Net 3 for example seems to have all the features I'm looking for at the moment:

- AC input
- 20Amp Max Charge (I usually charge six 2650mAh lipos in parallel)
- additional advanced options my current charger doesn't have, like customizing the preferred total capacity (4.15 per cell for example)
- PC software for monitoring

My question is, is there anything newer around nowadays with similar features, quality and price range?
Or it's good to stick with this old but popular charger?
sitalk is offline Find More Posts by sitalk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2015, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
985 Posts
I prefer a DC only charger. A power supply creates heat not needed inside the charger. Also it's a large component in a AC charger there for one more thing to possibly fail. Add in the fact that these supply's shoved into AC chargers are usually garbage the chance of failing is increased. All of that said I prefer the icharger lineup or actually in my case I use the reactor series from Hobbyking which is the same thing in great quality. There is a huge thread on the reactor 300 that backs it very well. They have several versions of the reactor 300 charger. The DC only version. There is a dual version basically 2 reactor 300' s in one charger. Now they even have a AC/DC version of the reactor 300. The 300 is a 300 watt charger with a 20 amp charge rate. I prefer the single DC unit and with a coue of them you can't go wrong.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Aug 23, 2015, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
985 Posts
And one more thing to mention what better psu to run a DC charger than a converted server supply originally designed to run 24/7 365 days a year. For the best possible deal on a power supply lipoconnectionsolutions is the best deal out there. A converted unit ready to go for Rc use. Currently he is selling converted dell units 62 amp 12 volt 750 watt units. I go for a series setup for 24 volts 1500 watts 62 amp dual unit setup. And these server conversions are done right. With a supply like this your likely to not have to buy another ever lol or at least years.
Jaketheone46 is offline Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by sitalk
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Thank you very much for the useful information.
I was considering to go DC only and actually I think I'll do like you said.

I usually charge at home because I'm pretty near the spot where I fly so for this reason until now AC was my choice, mostly because I don't have the need for on location charging and I want an all in one solution.
But what you just said about the heat inside the charger and the failure makes sense and convinced me that it's time for me to go DC.
I'll read a bit about the Reaktor series, they seem nice chargers and I'll consider them!
sitalk is offline Find More Posts by sitalk