New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by aserna2
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
What bike and where to buy in the U.S

What is the best first bike to buy and where is the best place to buy it from?
I am looking for something to run around the track between race heats this summer season and hopefully get some others interested in motorcycle racing.

We race 1/8 GT's and the track is a medium size track so I am not sure what would work best for that type of layout 1/5 or 1/8 scale.

I have been looking at the Kyosho NSR500 but not sure if that is the best "race" kit to start with but I like that the kit and parts are still available.

I would like a GPV-1, SB5 or DXR500 but it seems all these kits are discontinued

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
aserna2 is offline Find More Posts by aserna2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by katana2665
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,708 Posts
If you've never run bikes before, the Kyushu bike is a great place to start. There are plenty of fast ones out there. They don't make a race kit, but there are plenty of hop ups and many mods have been documented. Unfortunately, we don't have a strong bike presence here in the U.S. So our options are limited.

All the best stuff comes from the UK and Europe.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Mar 18, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by dmincin
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,433 Posts
If you're looking to buy a bike in the US, check out 2WheelHobbies - http://www.2wheelhobbies.com
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:12 AM
Find More Posts by japtj2000
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
2wheelhobies.com is a good source or you can also try www.gotnitroonline.com for Nuova Faor Bikes.
japtj2000 is online now Find More Posts by japtj2000
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by grymg
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,533 Posts
If not on a track specific for 1/5th scale cars and trucks I highly recommend running 1/8th scale.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by aserna2
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grymg View Post
If not on a track specific for 1/5th scale cars and trucks I highly recommend running 1/8th scale.
We had a guy bring out a DXr500 and it did not turn into the corners as well as we thought it would.
So for 1/5 scale are you saying they need a large flowing track and the 1/8 scale do better on a medium size tighter track?
The track we race on is designed for 1/8 scale GT nitro cars (buggy based) it is a parking lot track we setup and tear down. We use road rails, plow dots and 2x4's its about 130-150ft back straight with a semi tight infield. The layout changes each week.
there is talk of adding nother class and a few of us are interested in rc motorcycles and with the cheap price of the Kyosho kits I know a few guys would buy them just for fun.
aserna2 is offline Find More Posts by aserna2
Old Mar 18, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Jay59
Joined Nov 2013
134 Posts
Sounds like the track is plenty big enough for 1/5 scale bikes. In the UK we race 1/5 bikes on smaller tracks. I am sure 2 wheel hobbies will do you a great deal in US. But if you are prepared to deal with a top UK manufacturer. Take a look at KP Designs.
www.kp-designs.co.uk
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2339434
Jay59 is offline Find More Posts by Jay59
Old Mar 18, 2015, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by dmincin
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aserna2 View Post
We had a guy bring out a DXr500 and it did not turn into the corners as well as we thought it would.
Doesn't the DXR500 come stock with a gyro in the rear wheel? The gyro helps to keep the bike up, but also will affect cornering...
dmincin is offline Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by magnuts
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
I've raced my KP07(1/5th) bike on a 1/10th scale track before and it went ok.
It was hard to flick through some of the tight turns, but once I got my lines and braking points sorted, it was quite fun.

The track I currently run on also runs 1/8th GT's, mind you it is essentially a 1/5th scale track, but it has a couple of tight, off camber switch back hairpin turns, and elevation changes, the bikes handle it very well.
magnuts is offline Find More Posts by magnuts
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by dshy
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2014
111 Posts
+1 to bruce @ 2wheelhobbies
+1 to the fine folks on this forum, check the classifieds
+1 to Ebay

Please take a look at some of the videos in the "did you use your bike today" thread for some shake down videos with both 1/8 & 1/5 bikes.

In my experience a few differences in 1/5:1/8 are in the handling department, the smaller bikes fall faster, they don't catch balance/counter steer as smooth/deep as the 1/5th. The 1/5th are more controllable overall. I believe the main advantage is due to better hardware available in the electronics department for 1/5, sensorless only for 1/8th unless you can score a discontinued product. The 1/5 have heavier tires for better gyro effect, this automagically makes them more stable and controllable at lean angles. The range/quality/power/etc. is simply better, faster, more for 1/5th.

They can navigate the same tracks with different trade offs but I would say my (1/5) bikes are equal if not more more agile than my (1/8) bikes at the correct speeds.

All that said, piloting either scale is a blast, you can't go wrong with anything, the sky is the limit, gods speed!

AND welcome to an amazing community.
dshy is offline Find More Posts by dshy
Last edited by dshy; Mar 18, 2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: spelling lawl
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:54 PM
Find More Posts by Kev71H
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,336 Posts
Liking the enthusiasm. Welcome Pete.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Mar 24, 2015, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by poochy
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC)
Joined Jan 2007
369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aserna2 View Post
So for 1/5 scale are you saying they need a large flowing track and the 1/8 scale do better on a medium size tighter track?
The track we race on is designed for 1/8 scale GT nitro cars (buggy based) it is a parking lot track we setup and tear down. We use road rails, plow dots and 2x4's its about 130-150ft back straight with a semi tight infield. The layout changes each week.
there is talk of adding nother class and a few of us are interested in rc motorcycles and with the cheap price of the Kyosho kits I know a few guys would buy them just for fun.
unless u can modify the car track to be easy for bikes when bikes race, forget about the track. just go run ovals on the side of the track with ur buddies and try to lean in unison as close to each other as u can without hitting each other. u guys will have a lot fun.
poochy is offline Find More Posts by poochy
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:01 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochy View Post
unless u can modify the car track to be easy for bikes when bikes race, forget about the track. just go run ovals on the side of the track with ur buddies and try to lean in unison as close to each other as u can without hitting each other. u guys will have a lot fun.
I gotta admit to the above actually. Some of the BEST fun times running my bikes is the carving of the corners either on the inside or outside of the corner with another bike(s).

There is nothing like guys making "noise" when both enter a corner trying to get the perfect apex and throttle out together "respecting" each other's line. It's very gratifying.

When you get the rhythm of a track and another bike racer has his rhythm, its interesting how the corner dance can play out. Some play it conservative, some stick to their guns but it seems most synchronize the corner out of pure sportsmanship of ability rather than ultimately getting ahead *(Until the straightaway hits!)

Ahhh, so much to love about our RC bikes!!!
Kevin
www.RCMCConline.com
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:25 PM
Joined Apr 2002
4,336 Posts
New site on the block to buy A ready to run ZH 1/8!!
http://www.jjcustomsllc.com/index.ph...roduct_id=5706
Old Apr 08, 2015, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by grymg
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
New site on the block to buy A ready to run ZH 1/8!!
http://www.jjcustomsllc.com/index.ph...roduct_id=5706
looks like a neat site thanks Kev.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Last edited by grymg; Apr 09, 2015 at 10:57 AM.