New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by mhills51
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,607 Posts
It's one and feel lucky it is one lol! I am building this X3 and the TT runs straight off the main so you have to shim it with many washers to get it right. I gave up and converted it to belt lol! You do have washers that go on top to eliminate play
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2015, 02:13 AM
Find More Posts by Lentar
Joined Oct 2012
998 Posts
I have an Align H50073 belt tail unit. Is it necessary to pin it to the boom? Name: uploadfromtaptalk1428045215681.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 412.7 KB
Description:
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Apr 03, 2015, 09:38 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,607 Posts
I never have. One problem people do is over tighten the boom. Once this is done the boom slips and needs pining or needs replacing the boom holder.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,529 Posts
My second Kbar came last week and the Tarot DFC 500 head came today. Looks like I'll be converting the EXI 500 this weekend. Hopefully I can get some calm winds soon. I still haven't been able to get the first Kbar FBL trim flight in on the converted Beam 450 yet because of wind.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Apr 03, 2015, 08:55 PM
Find More Posts by pizpit
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
I received this kit as a gift and I would like to get it running. I don't know a whole lot about rc helis but I have experience with rc cars (nitro) and I have built my own quadcopter (250 Racer). I plan on learning everything I can before even thinking about powering it up for flight as I have heard many warnings that these are not toys. I have a few questions pertaining to this kit and helis on the whole:

- Is there a smaller, less expensive, & less dangerous heli I can train on that will directly translate my stick time to this 500 Heli?
- What determines the selection of cell count on the Lipo I want to use? Is it similar to multirotors where 3s is more tuned for beginners and 4s is for faster flight?
- Am I able to swap between say a 4s lipo for slow, less acrobatic flight and then a 6s after for fast 3D flight all in one outing?
- How do I go about selecting my ESC based on my flight needs and existing equipment?

What I have already:

- HK 500GT TT
- Cyclic servos x3
- Tail Servo x1
- HK 401B Gyro
- No clue on brand but the motor says 1600KV and It has a 13T pinion gear on it.
- I do have a Taranis Radio and some small 3s Batteries for my quad (doubt I can use them here - 1800mAh 40C).

What I need and Im on the fence about:

- RX - First for the Rx, am I able to get something like THIS so I can use my Taranis radio to control this heli?
- ESC - Would something like THIS be suitable for my beginner needs? Can I use both a 4s and a 6s with it?
- MISC. - I think that is all I need for the Heli but if you see something missing let me know please.
pizpit is offline Find More Posts by pizpit
Old Apr 04, 2015, 03:49 AM
Find More Posts by Lentar
Joined Oct 2012
998 Posts
If you want to learn CP heli flying, you can start with a 100 size CP. For basic orientation you can even start with a 4 channel fp heli. For your motor and pinion you will need a 6s battery, which is basically what is used in all trex 500s as far as l know. Headspeed will be too low with 4s and a 1600kv motor. To tame the heli to your comfort level, we use d/r, exp, throttle and pitch curves with a 6s system. The tricky bit is what capacity to use. Cost, size and weight wise, l have selected a 2800 mAh. The ESC should be at least 80 amps though you could use a 65-70 A depending on your motor. Cost effective choice would be Yep 80 from hobbyking. Flybarless is the way to go and easier to set up, so you should convert to it. With fbl you need to have good servos, if you post here with your budget, you can get valuable suggestions from experienced builders (mhills and 2doggs are great!)
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Last edited by Lentar; Apr 04, 2015 at 03:57 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2015, 09:03 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
13,607 Posts
You have a 250 quad racer, but I bet you fly FPV. That won't help with the orientation. Will help with throttle control.
Do you have a Sim? Simulators are great at getting you ready to fly!

Like Lentar said a smaller CP will help, but they are much more twitchy than the 500. A 500 is not a bad heli to learn on if you fly at a real RC feild, have people like a club to help you, and use training hoop. Yes we use a Hula hoop and some rods. Works much better than regular gear. With the Hoop there is nothing to stab into the ground.

Speed control you could use a 60 if it was a quality controller. On China ones it is always safe to go up a few amps. I use a 80 Yep on mine. I use 150 amps on my Goblin 500's. The RX is fine. If you go FBL http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-devi...th=166_216_309

Don't look for low head speed. Low speed makes for a hard to control bird. To slow things down use Expo and don't program in a lot of pitch to start. Maybe 10 to 11.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by vd2021
Joined Oct 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizpit View Post
I received this kit as a gift and I would like to get it running. I don't know a whole lot about rc helis but I have experience with rc cars (nitro) and I have built my own quadcopter (250 Racer). I plan on learning everything I can before even thinking about powering it up for flight as I have heard many warnings that these are not toys. I have a few questions pertaining to this kit and helis on the whole:

- Is there a smaller, less expensive, & less dangerous heli I can train on that will directly translate my stick time to this 500 Heli?
- What determines the selection of cell count on the Lipo I want to use? Is it similar to multirotors where 3s is more tuned for beginners and 4s is for faster flight?
- Am I able to swap between say a 4s lipo for slow, less acrobatic flight and then a 6s after for fast 3D flight all in one outing?
- How do I go about selecting my ESC based on my flight needs and existing equipment?

What I have already:

- HK 500GT TT
- Cyclic servos x3
- Tail Servo x1
- HK 401B Gyro
- No clue on brand but the motor says 1600KV and It has a 13T pinion gear on it.
- I do have a Taranis Radio and some small 3s Batteries for my quad (doubt I can use them here - 1800mAh 40C).

What I need and Im on the fence about:

- RX - First for the Rx, am I able to get something like THIS so I can use my Taranis radio to control this heli?
- ESC - Would something like THIS be suitable for my beginner needs? Can I use both a 4s and a 6s with it?
- MISC. - I think that is all I need for the Heli but if you see something missing let me know please.
A good SIM. Use it with a structured training plan.
vd2021 is offline Find More Posts by vd2021
Old Apr 17, 2015, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by turbojoe
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vd2021 View Post
A good SIM. Use it with a structured training plan.
I couldn't agree more!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe