HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:54 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Electrifly Syncro EDF

This is my quick build log for the Electrifly Syncro EDF. I saw this at the local hobyshop and said what the heck!

Motor: Wicked 4000 with standoff adapter
ESC: Hobbywing Pentium 40 amp
Fan unit: stock 55mm fan unit
Lipo: 4S 1300 40C Sky Lipo
Servos: Emax 8 gram
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:07 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
I am going to show mainly photos of how to install the Wicked 4000 motor into the stock fan unit. The rest of the build is detailed very nicely in the manual that comes with the plane and is pretty easily to do.

There are a few things I want to comment on the motor installation.

1) Make sure the brass adapter is spaced as shown on the photo. If it is too far down the motor shaft then the back of the rotor will hit the mounting screws for the motor when you install it. In fact I may have moved it out about 1/32" further up than shown on the photos.

2) Note that they intentionally give you one short and one long grub screw for the brass adapter. This keys the rotor in place. So make sure to notice that when installing the rotor.

3) cut out the middle of the mount to get the brass adapter through.

4) You will need to use a 1/8" drill to make larger holes for the 3mm motor screws the Wicked motor uses.

5) Make sure the motor wires are as close to perpendicular to the EDF mounting tabs to make routing the motor wires through the pod much easier. Rotate the motor 1/4 turn and use the other set of holes if needed.

6) I suggest balancing the fan to make it run smooth. You can balance with out the foam spinner on then glue it on afterwards. I found the foam spinner is so light that when added afterwards it had minor effect on the balance after it was glued on. Just be sure to spread the glue evenly over the whole spinner. I used foam safe CA. Then let it dry a long time.

7) The kit comes with 3 motor lead extensions. I cut the female ends off and soldered the extension directly to the motor wires.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jun 06, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 08:14 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
One other thing, I installed thrust tube to reduce the outlet of the FSA to ~90% as the outlet in my opinion was too large. Here is the template for the centering ring and thrust tube and some photos of it installed.

Also here is photo of the 4S 1300 klipo I used and the location. It flew perfect like that wihte sport wing. I ever flew the long wing.

Flat level speed speed on the 4S 1300mah setup and thrust tube was about 80-82 mph (via doppler averaged upwind and downwind). The climbs were great as well with the excess thrust!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jun 06, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:46 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,248 Posts
Hi Don,

Looks good. Do you have the fan in stock because one of your motors with a balance job would sure be a nice setup.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jun 06, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:51 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
The stock fan is close to the Hyperflow fan but slightly different. It comes in the kit. If you want to send the stock fan to me I can balance it up with a motor. In fact I am doing that for a guy now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:12 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The stock fan is close to the Hyperflow fan but slightly different. It comes in the kit. If you want to send the stock fan to me I can balance it up with a motor. In fact I am doing that for a guy now.
Don,

Great, I just found the plane in Model Airplane news. It looks like it would be a hoot. I will wait to see how yours works for you.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:33 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
I have already flown it several times on the short sport wing. About 80 mph flat and level. It was a change of pace from the typical EDF!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I have already flown it several times on the short sport wing. About 80 mph flat and level. It was a change of pace from the typical EDF!
I'll say. 80 mph with the short wings is pretty good.

I will have to wait until the next Tower special sale discount.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:49 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Man that looks good! How much more power do you think your get up produces than the stock suggested Ammo 4040 motor? Also...silly question, what material did you use for the thrust tube?
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:41 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
This setup is about 480-500 watts which is about double the stock setup on 4S :-)
The thrust tube is acetate sheet, or overhead transparency material. You can get individual 8.5 x 11 sheets at office max. I bought a roll of it since I use so much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:27 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
256 Posts
What kind of flight times are you getting with that 4s?

Would using a 3s depower so much not to make it worth getting your motor?

Also what kind of turn around time you expect if I was to send in my fan unit for you to balance?

Thanks
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Jun 08, 2011, 04:24 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by galognu View Post
What kind of flight times are you getting with that 4s?
Would using a 3s depower so much not to make it worth getting your motor?
Also what kind of turn around time you expect if I was to send in my fan unit for you to balance?
Thanks

Only about 3 minutes running the throttle all the time. If you wanted to fly fast all the time then a 4S 1800 or 2200 would be better, but the 1300 happened to fit and balance perfect. You can climb quite high on this setup with 4S then chop power and glide then do it over again.

Turnaround time would be about 2 days. 3S on the 4000KV would be like stock power so you could swap between 3S ans 4S if you wanted. If you want more than stock on 3S then go for the 4800 KV motor. I am putting that setup in a guys Syncro model now as he wants to fly on 3S 2200s but have more than stock power.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
I tested the stock fan unit with the Wicked 4800 motor on a 3S 2200 40 C Sky Lipo. I twas about 360-380 watts which I think is a good 3S setup for this plane.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
United States, NY, Jamestown
Joined Dec 2004
256 Posts
I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Got any of the pentium 40's around. If not can you suggest an alternative, also would you go with an external BEC? It's running 4 servos right?

Thanks
galognu is offline Find More Posts by galognu
Old Jun 11, 2011, 06:52 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
I have a few left in stock. The Pentiums have a 3 amp switching UBEC built in, I did not use an external UBEC but I also have those in stock as well.

Don
RCG Plus Member