Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjustis View Post
The first flight out of the box was in mid 50 degrees. As far as the sputtering sound before it dies, it does this from the start. I'll try warming the battery and see if that does the trick. I also bought some other batts when I got the plane, but there was no Velcro on them so I haven't tried them. I'll give them a shot also.
Thanks for the help.
Martin
I wouldn't waste the weight and hassle of the velcro. I just use a small rubberband now around the whole cowl and battery. It's easy to just slip the battery out from under the rubber band, and if you can find a blue rubber band you won't even see it.

John in Merrill
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:32 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,869 Posts
I've got this cold-weather thing figgered. I regularly fly in temperatures as low as -15C and have found that if you take a warm battery out of your pocket and put it in a plane where it is inside the fuselage, and the vent-holes are covered, it works almost as long as it does in the summer. With planes like the UM Corsair it is a different story. I realized I needed to make a foam battery tray that would keep it warm.

What I ended up with not only keeps it warm, it is just so handy. No more velcro or tape. The battery slides in and doesn't move, and changing batteries is so easy. The picture shows a 200 mah battery slid all the way in, and it is solid and warm. The "tray" is made of dinner-plate depron, held on by fiberglass tape. It worked so well, that I did a better job on my UM P51 Mustang, with glue instead of tape.

The only thing that I am worried about is what will happen when summer comes. Will the battery overheat? We'll see...
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 16, 2012, 07:00 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
There's a half-moon-shaped wall at the front end of the battery tray. I would think that if you:
  1. Cut open that hole just enough to slip a 160mah lipo into the motor compartment
  2. Used Jovanx's idea with some foam to cover the exposed part of the protruding lipo. I would think foam rubber, while heavier, would insulate better.
  3. Block the small opening in the front of the plane with tiny pieces of black tape

You could actually use motor heat generated to warm the lipo. As long as the outside air is stifled at the nose by blocking any inlets.

I wouldn't worry about overheating -- the outside cold will chill the walls of the fuse and keep the motor cool.

Even here in sunny Florida, we had 38-degree mornings this past weekend. My UM flights were shortened dramatically -- to less than 3 minutes!
Luckily, the temperature heads back to the mid-seventies this week.

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
New Corsair?

March 2012 MAN has two ads in it on the NEW Ultra Micro Series F4U Corsair.

Whats the difference or are they running OLD ads?

Thank you

Alan
J3ALAN is offline Find More Posts by J3ALAN
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ALAN View Post
March 2012 MAN has two ads in it on the NEW Ultra Micro Series F4U Corsair.

Whats the difference or are they running OLD ads?

Thank you

Alan
Hmmmmm, you think they're adding AS3X?? Like they did on the updated Beast 3D? I'm guessing all future micros maybe having the AS3X technology? Figures, I just picked up my micro Corsair last month.... but I have yet to fly her!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
The F4U is unchanged

It's the same ad that they've used before, and it's the same F4U. Read the specs.

Currently, the aircraft version of AS3X is a 2s brushless platform only. It requires special high-speed, heavy-duty servos. Horizon will not be retrofitting it into their brushed 1s planes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 08:54 PM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
I had read the specs and could not see any change. The word NEW seemed a bit odd.

Oh well!

Thanks

Alan
Old Jan 21, 2012, 09:06 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ALAN View Post
I had read the specs and could not see any change. The word NEW seemed a bit odd.

Oh well!

Thanks

Alan
Alan,

Yeah, they must have used the old ad for some reason.

We will have the first AS3X-euipped warbird when the true-scale UMX Mig 15 EDF is released this summer. (I'll be pre-ordering one as soon as they let us!! Hopefully, we will also see some WWII iron with the 2s brushless AS3X system. Also, they are releasing a stand-alone version of the AS3X brick used in the Mig. It handles 5A, it uses separate servos & it's user-programmable! There will be downloadable programs for a number of Horizon planes (such as the Sbach), and also some downloadable base programs for modders & scratch-builders that can be tweaked to suit various speeds & sizes of airframes.

There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:29 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Alan,

We will have the first AS3X-euipped warbird when the true-scale UMX Mig 15 EDF is released this summer. (I'll be pre-ordering one as soon as they let us!! Hopefully, we will also see some WWII iron with the 2s brushless AS3X system. Also, they are releasing a stand-alone version of the AS3X brick used in the Mig. It handles 5A, it uses separate servos & it's user-programmable! There will be downloadable programs for a number of Horizon planes (such as the Sbach), and also some downloadable base programs for modders & scratch-builders that can be tweaked to suit various speeds & sizes of airframes.

Joel
I wish the Beast had that tuning option. I love the system and it runs in the background great, but there is just something about the rudder that isn't right. It makes me feel a little disconnected from the bird.
Wookster is online now Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:39 AM
Captain Alan
Joined Aug 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Alan,

Joel
Where did you learn about all the great items coming out? I got back into the hobby about a year ago after too many years away. It has come along way. I now have too many projects from building big fuel powered birds to the UMs!

I purchased the AS3X Beast over the holidays and have not had the chance to fly it yet. Too windy for me. Do not have a place to fly indoors.

Alan
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
I thought I was up on the latest sites??? Where is are you guys seeing info about the UMX Mig 15???
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:06 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Alan,

I'm also an old nitro/gas/giant-scale guy. I've only been into electric aircraft for about 4 years. My, how far we have come!

My information on the new goodies comes directly from Horizon's engineering group & their director of aircraft development. The guys are nearly regulars on some of the threads.

General AS3X info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525626

Another AS3X thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525268

Blade mQX micro-quad: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563931

UMX Mig 15: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575657

BTW - the Beast 3D is excellent in the wind. In fact, it handles the wind better than many of my 40-size ships! I've flown mine in 19 MPH winds with no problems at all.

Here's a clip of me having fun with the Beast 3D in a gusty 8-19 MPH wind:

UMX Beast 3D in an 8-19 MPH wind (8 min 53 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,557 Posts
Joel, I loved how in the begining, it would go backwards. Like a bull raring up. haahaha. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Nice flying Joel!!! After watching you and ChuckTSeeker I guess that AS3X is a nice feature!! Time to pick up an anemometer so you don't have to wait to get home to get the wind speed!!! (I'm waiting for mine from HobbyKing, LOL)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Having an extremely hard time landings this, any tips? Been trying to land on a 25 ft wide street, hard to make it go straight without over controlling! It's just seems smoother at any time other than landing
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower