HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,921 Posts
Here is an oldie but goodie from Ryan if you like the crashes.

sWARm Fall 2011 (5 min 17 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:59 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
Anyone using a dragon osd with a grim? If so, does the
return home work?
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, MI, Wyoming
Joined Mar 2012
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post
Anyone using a dragon osd with a grim? If so, does the
return home work?
Friend of mine flies a Deep Reaper with a DL OSD and it seems to do just fine.
AbsAltitudes is offline Find More Posts by AbsAltitudes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
GoPro Hero 3 on the Grim Reaper

It looks a lot better in HD

SespeNomad in HD FPV GoPro Hero 3 Ventura State Beach at Sunset (5 min 10 sec)
SespeNomad is offline Find More Posts by SespeNomad
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined May 2012
66 Posts
Great video, and AWESOME music!! Love Maiden!!! Glad to see the cops at the end supporting you. How do you like the GoPro Hero3?
mebillica is offline Find More Posts by mebillica
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
Very cool video SespeNomad! Love me some IM...
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Last edited by kokopropelli; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: redundant question
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2012
22 Posts
Thanks so much. The GoPro Hero 3 is unbelievable, it weighs 75 grams! It is just the silver though, not the black. It is very sensitive to vibrations, and I desperately need a new motor to fix the waves in my HD footage. Being that this was my first (properly functioning) fpv rig I initially decided not to use a GoPro (baby steps!!), but when I saw how small it was I couldn't resist to buy it. Mounting the GoPro and balancing my plane -that was not meant to carry so much more weight on the nose was an issue. I had to get creative with zip-ties, the tall GoPro mount, a piece of wood, and electrical tape (sticky side out). I also had to mount my camera battery as far back as possible with some gorilla tape.. and some carefully placed nickles. I covered up the old battery bay with a piece of chloro-board for the heck of it.

It is more ghetto than I would like but it works WONDERFULLY. At 1430 grams the Grim Reaper still glides like a champ and i'm getting over 15 minutes of flight time per 3s 3300 mah lipo.

If you take a look at my first video you will see what my plane looked like before I got the new gopro. Don't laugh at what it looks like now =)

Any suggestions on a smooth and balanced motor? My cobras work great until they take a bad landing or two and then they just make lines in my FPV cam.
SespeNomad is offline Find More Posts by SespeNomad
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:31 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
449 Posts
honestly, I only noticed waves a couple of times, and even then it was just briefly. I'm pretty sure everyone's first FPV rig is somewhat ghetto, I know mine is serving as a learning and testing platform....so it looks like it fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:49 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,063 Posts
I saw some waves but most were in the ocean and very enjoyable. You have an effortless launch. Smooth and silky. Looks like plenty of power too!
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SespeNomad View Post
Any suggestions on a smooth and balanced motor? My cobras work great until they take a bad landing or two and then they just make lines in my FPV cam.
Unless you're making extremely rough landings and bending your motor shaft, you probably just need to replace the prop & balance it. If you're using a prop adapter mounted to the bell of the motor, those are fairly soft aluminum and bend easily, which will introduce wobble. So it's a good idea to buy a few extra prop mounts for your motor in case that happens. Then just make sure you properly balance every propeller you fly with. I've used rubber washers on the motor itself between the motor and the plane, and that can help a little.

If you do ever bend the motor shaft, then just replace the shaft. You can't fly with a bent motor shaft, the vibrations will be too severe for any camera mount or other vibration dampening to overcome.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,921 Posts
Todd (Wind of Change) is the one that shot these videos. He is a great resource and has had to work through the same issues. He has some of the best videos around.

http://www.youtube.com/user/toddsher2112?feature=watch
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:36 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
Anyone thought of using 8000mah batteries instead of 5000mah on the deep reaper xl? With two it's an 18 oz increase but there is 4800Mah more available to use. They are both 27mm thick so does anyone know if these will fit? 12,800mah will keep you in the air for a while.
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
UH60 Pilot
United States, KY, Fort Campbell
Joined Jan 2010
273 Posts
I know heavier means fly faster and more consumption, so I just don't know if that much of an increase will cause a increase in power that will decrease flight time below what running 2x 5000 mah
E1Allen is offline Find More Posts by E1Allen
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
here's my latest. Getting to know my new flying location better. Hoping I can get more low level longer range stuff soon.

Chasing Dunes (4 min 24 sec)
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
here's my latest. Getting to know my new flying location better. Hoping I can get more low level longer range stuff soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlHKi...ature=youtu.be
Great Video!!!