Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
Joined Apr 2005
10 Posts
Help!
Albatros DV by Bob Hutton, annyone ?

Hi, I've bought Bob Hutton 1/4 scale Albatross DVA drawings and I have
many doubts since the drawings lack some important details, most of all
wings incidences and so on...

My question is : have anyone of you got any information about someone who has built and flown this particular model, I mean the Albatross DVA built from Bob Hutton drawings ?

I really need to urgently find some modeler that has already built it
(and flown) so that I can ask directly more details.

Looking forward to receive some details from someone ,
Thank you very much for your attention,
Best regards,
Denis Ferrari - Italy
DenisFerrari is offline Find More Posts by DenisFerrari
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:59 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Denis,
i am finishing up on a Dv by Jim Pepino. (terrible plans by the way) and it shows 2 deg positive on both wings and 1 deg positive on horizontal stab. Not quite sure why the stab needs incidence, but that 's what the plans say. Course the plans are also pretty lousy. Check with Proctor, they could tell you what the incidence should be. hope this helps,
Martin
mcjustis is online now Find More Posts by mcjustis
Old Aug 12, 2009, 02:49 AM
Joined Apr 2005
10 Posts
Hi MArtin,
thank you very much for the suggestion and you info.
Also Bob Hutton drawings are very lacky of many details, strange incidences, wood parts hand drown, millimiters (even more that 10mm!!) or errors on pieces ... my big doubt is about incidences, since if the wings incidends and tail plane has been done with the same attention this will be a big risk ... I'll try to ask Proctor some details ... but you know, it depends on kind of profiles, balancing points, surfaces ... Proctor DV is similar but not same model...

Keep in touch!
Thank you,
Kind regards,
Denis Ferrari
Old Aug 12, 2009, 06:10 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Denis,
If you really want to do a scale job of it I'd see if you can find the book 'Albatros Dva, German Fighter of WW1'. By Robert Mikesh. This is a book done by the National air and space museum. They documented a rebuild of a DVa they did in the late 70's. Very well laid out book, with many pictures, and the set of the full scale drawings with EVERYTHING measured out to the mm for you. I ended up using it more than my lousy plans. I found mine on Amazon.com and see them once in awhile on there. Here's a pic of the front cover. It's pretty much the standard for this plane, and I'm sure most all of the plans for this plane in R/C are done from this book.
My plans were off more than 30mm on some parts from the side views to the top views. Other parts were just completely wrong. One half of the top wing was 30mm longer than the other. Fuse formers in top and side views don't come close to matching. It was a real treat. Of course I didn't find out until most parts were already cut out.
Good luck,
Martin
Old Aug 13, 2009, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2005
10 Posts
Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Almopst finished the fuselage frame, it's nice but since I made laser cutting the most complicate parts from the drawing ... and since the drawing is a disaster (parts not simmetrical, errors over errors ... the result is a disaster aswell. And unfortunately I recognize it only while mounting the parts over tha drawing ... I'd be very curious to met someone else over this planet that built Bob Hutton Albatros DV without having a huge amount of problems...

Also, no indication on lower wing cabane moutning ... no incidences, no way to do a good mounting of the tail plane ... awful.

Next time I'll spend some more money and I'll go directly to Arizona Model or Proctor and 100% sure it will be much better, less cobnstruction time, less nervous and a marvellous result for sure....

And what about your Albatros... laready flown it ? Whichall up weight your reached ? Motor ?

Best Regards,
Denis Ferrari
Old Aug 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
Columbus, Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
323 Posts
Denis,

you might check out some posts on RCU about Arizona Models. Very shady operation. My friend ordered a mercedes engine kit. The clinders were just paper. he ended up not using anything from them. I would definitely get the plans from proctor. I have seen them and they are beautiful. I also have the proctor Eindecker plans and they are a work of art. I wish I would've purchased their plans for my albatros. they were only about $15 more expensive than what I bought. I know I would have saved hundreds in the headaches my plans cost me.
Mine is not quite done yet. I have to cover the top of the top wing and finish the front of the fuse. hopefully it'll be flying next weekend at a Dawn patrol event. I know it won't be detailed , probably not even painted, but it should be able to fly. I'm using a Fuji 43 EI. I don't have a good weight yet, but using my bathroom scale with me and the plane it's coming in about 16 lbs. But, I didn't have the radio, , fuel tank, ignition, ignition battery, switches, any paint, or any detail. Not to mention any nose weight I may have to add. If I get under 21 pounds (9.5 Kg) I'll be happy. There are a few pictures of the plane on this thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...981480&page=10

Mine didn't have any details on mounting the tail either. I may end up with a little more tail weight than I need, but such is life...

I cut my fuse formers on a waterjet at work. I did have to draw them up on my Mastercam software. I measured the plans and just like yours they were not symmetrical, with many errors. I ended up drawing half of the former and just doing a mirror copy and then I knew it would be symmetric. I also added a 3/4 inch (19mm) hole in the center of each former with some small braces out to the former itself. This let me line everything up on a piece of straight metal pipe. Very easy. Then when lined up and spaced just lay in the stringers and glue. It worked out well. Once the stringers are on, slide off the pipe and cut the small hole supports out.
I also cut out all the wing ribs on the waterjet. Very quick and easy work.
My plans said to cut the formers in half top to bottom and build bottom on board, then flip it and glue the top on to it. Yea right. No way that would be easy or be expected to work. I can send some pics of my setup if you like.
I did end up changing the lower wing mount on mine. It was (per the plan) supposed to use two 1/8 inch (3mm) pins to hold the lower wing in and then a small bolt to hold it to the fuse. I ended up extending the main spar and built a box that attached to the former. This way the lower wing slides in place and then I attach the rigging. I'll see if I can find some pics of my formers after I cut them.
I get to cover the top of the top wing tonite...yippee...I do love covering..
Later...
Martin