HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:11 PM
United States, OR, Tualatin
Joined Apr 2005
2,420 Posts
Question
Adding Washout to Wing Cores

Ok guys: How does one add wash out to the wing tip of cores that have a common base when cut? So the hot wire cut cores have a top, middle, and a bottom, which is the top of the second core. Other than cutting the middle bed in half, I do not know how to get a bottom bed for propping up back of the wing tip for wash out.

Any other solutions?
TomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:21 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,030 Posts
Tom I dont follow ? Are using 1 or two templates ? as I cut washout in by lowering the l/edge of the tip Template from the rib center line marked on the foam block ,then it doesn't matter if your cutting in 1 block or 2 separate blocks
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,420 Posts
Steve: The cores were cut by some one else with out wash out. The center bed is the same thickness full length of the core. I agree that the best time to put in wash out is when you cut the cores, but mine did not come that way.

there is enough material in hte center bed that is acting as two bottoms, that I could cut it in half on my table saw by using the fence and making two passes, being sure that the same side is against the fence when I make the second cut. If I had a band saw, I would need to make only one pass, using a fence.

Tom
Last edited by TomFlyer; Jul 08, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:20 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,030 Posts
are you bagging the wing ? if so put some wedges under the L/edge at the root and keep the tips flat and vac it down ensuring a bit extra weight at the tips to kep them flat whislt the root section L/edge is raised
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Jul 08, 2014, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
399 Posts
I think the most acurate way to do it would be to hotwire blocks with the washout, then spray adhesive it to your beds. Full span support so less chance of a curved te. and easier to make all the same. Maybe one of the core cutting companies would do it?
James
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:26 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfarren View Post
I think the most acurate way to do it would be to hotwire blocks with the washout, then spray adhesive it to your beds. Full span support so less chance of a curved te. and easier to make all the same. Maybe one of the core cutting companies would do it?
James
Hot wire cutting the center bed would be the best thing. I will need to find some similar foam to practice on first however. I have some lap siding that might make a good bed for the wash out. Just need to get the angle right so the back of the wing tip is 1/8" higher.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 01:56 AM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
399 Posts
I'm sorry I didn't read your post clearly, yes cutting center section into 2 beds would best. I do like 4 beds not the center double ing as both surfaces
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,673 Posts
Ailerons rigged with a bit of reflex serve as washout. There is a slight aerodynamic penalty, but shouldn't be a problem with a sport slope model.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:18 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,311 Posts
Do you even need the washout? If the tip chord is more than about 60% of the root chord, tip stalling won't be a issue.
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Jul 08, 2014, 06:37 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,673 Posts
I'm with the Shed, Tom, before wondering how, you should ask why.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:09 AM
guamflyer - Avid Sloper
GUAM.USA
Joined Dec 2009
139 Posts
pretty much all the time I put the washout in when i cut the cores..other stuff could work..but like the guys say if the tip chord is wide then not really a problem
guamflyer is offline Find More Posts by guamflyer
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:09 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,018 Posts
The wing sweep will also seriously affect whether or not you need washout. Straight wings generally don't need it, Slighty swept rearward wings can usually get away without any. But a highly swept wing will need washout regardless of the root to tip ratio.

98% of my PSS birds have no washout. My F-15, F-86, Mep1101 and my Caravelle all have washout.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jul 08, 2014, 08:36 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
98% of my PSS birds have no washout. My F-15, F-86, Mep1101 and my Caravelle all have washout.
So you have 200 PSS planes...

: )

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:05 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
2,904 Posts
What plane Tom
bluffman is offline Find More Posts by bluffman
Old Jul 08, 2014, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,420 Posts
The wing in question is for a Quicksilver that has a 8.5" root and 6" tip and a straight trailing edge. So the 2.5" taper is all in the LE. Airfoil is the RG14 8.49% thick,