HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2014, 12:59 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
9 Posts
Discussion
Mission Planner or APM Planner

Im a little confused as to whats the offical sites and latest versions to use.

My Equipment/Hardware Used:
Hobbyking: Multiwii and Megapirate AIO Flight Controller w/FTDI (ATmega 2560) V2.0
UBLOX LEA-6H GPS Module w/Built-in Antenna 2.5m Accuracy V1.01
Multiwii MWC FC Bluetooth Module Programmer (Android compatible)

Running MegaPirateNG - APM:Copter 3.0.1-R3

Setup/Planning/Tuning - Mission Planner: http://ardupilot.com/downloads/

APM Planner 2.0 (2.x) APM Planner 2.0 Windows

or

Mission Planner (1.2.9x) MissionPlanner Installer

I have both installed but What i have found is that the Flight Modes do not seem to be compatible,
if i configure the flight modes in one, then the other does not recognise the flight modes that were set.

ie: i fire up Mission Planner (1.2.9x) and configure flight modes (say Alt hold) on position 2 of the switch, but if i then go into the latest version of APM Planner 2.x, it does not show this change! infact all the modes seem wiped out.

Lee.
qroy is offline Find More Posts by qroy
Last edited by qroy; Jan 08, 2014 at 01:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2013
8 Posts
Confusing

I am also confused, as which one to use, APM planner has better map but Misison has not. so what to use. I am very confused too...
Pemba is offline Find More Posts by Pemba
Old Mar 27, 2014, 06:10 PM
Film Enthusiast
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
I suggest you start with the original Mission Planner. At the moment APM Planner 2 seems to be missing some functionality (example survey).

So install Mission Planner on your Windows computers and if you have Linux or Mac than you have to use Planner 2.
Popwebz is online now Find More Posts by Popwebz
Old Mar 27, 2014, 06:16 PM
Film Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
APM Planner 2 was released with the Iris so that everyone (even Mac users) who bought the commercial drone could have a ground control. It is based on QGroundControl (another option) but has a user interface somewhat similar to Mission Planner. There is a reason that it did not replace Mission Planner 1, which is still (in my opinion) the preferred ground control station.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 02:46 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
46 Posts
For changing and/or examining advanced parameters, Mission Planner is match more convenient.

As Mac user I use APM Planner since it doesn't require to start VM. But I think it's still not feature-complete yet.
Xlib17 is offline Find More Posts by Xlib17
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:00 PM
Honduras, Bay Islands, French Harbor
Joined Jan 2014
19 Posts
Linux was mentioned in this thread as regards to APM Planner 2, but as far as I can tell, no such product exist; it's Windows & Mac only.

What do Linux folks do? I've been to the QGroundControl site, but there's no usable information there. It's like an advertisement for something that may one day exist. My impression is it's vaporware.
RoatanBill is offline Find More Posts by RoatanBill
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:32 PM
Film Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoatanBill View Post
Linux was mentioned in this thread as regards to APM Planner 2, but as far as I can tell, no such product exist; it's Windows & Mac only.

What do Linux folks do? I've been to the QGroundControl site, but there's no usable information there. It's like an advertisement for something that may one day exist. My impression is it's vaporware.
APM Planner 2.0 is available for Linux. It's not on ardupilot.com
Have a look at the Github page:
Http://github.com/diydrones/apm_planner

Scroll down and there are build instructions.
That's what Linux folks do.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 06:53 PM
Film Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
I've noticed that Mission Planner 1 does not like to connect to telemetry over Bluetooth. Planner 2 will connect to my telemetry.
Old Apr 01, 2014, 02:32 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popwebz View Post
APM Planner 2.0 is available for Linux. It's not on ardupilot.com
Have a look at the Github page:
Http://github.com/diydrones/apm_planner

Scroll down and there are build instructions.
That's what Linux folks do.
Actually, Linux folks download .dep or .rpm files. I have enough compilers at work, and prefer to mess with flying (or falling things, not with program compilation.
Old Apr 02, 2014, 01:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
I am missing Advanced Parameters in Mission Planner. I am using a Win 7 computer and downloaded the latest version of Mission Planner and checked for updates. My APM 2.6 with GPS is connected by USB port. I get a GPS fix and the compass is calibrated. When I go to Config/Tuning I see Standard Parameters.

Answered my own question while waiting for an answer. I found the box to check to enable advanced parameters.
shadowridertcw is offline Find More Posts by shadowridertcw
Last edited by shadowridertcw; Apr 02, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:24 PM
Film Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlib17 View Post
Actually, Linux folks download .dep or .rpm files. I have enough compilers at work, and prefer to mess with flying (or falling things, not with program compilation.
And where do you get the APM Planner executables?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:59 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Mar 2014
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popwebz View Post
And where do you get the APM Planner executables?
I was referring to "there are build instructions" as being preferred method for Linux users, because " That's what Linux folks do". I don't know whether such dep/rpm actually being distributed (I'm not a Linux user for a while - replaced it with Mac).
Sorry if it wasn't clear.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:47 PM
Film Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2013
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlib17 View Post
I was referring to "there are build instructions" as being preferred method for Linux users, because " That's what Linux folks do". I don't know whether such dep/rpm actually being distributed (I'm not a Linux user for a while - replaced it with Mac).
Sorry if it wasn't clear.
OK. Because they are not distributing compiled files for Linux. I had to compile it myself.