Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
Discussion
First flight tips

Hi,

I am trying to learn how to fly a teksumo flying wing from hobbyking.
With little success, has any one got any tips for a beginner on trimming out and lank and bank flying?

I seem to be and expert at crashing and repairing so far.

Is there a slower model i can learn with? or should i keep trying with the teksumo?

thanks
npmullins is offline Find More Posts by npmullins
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:16 PM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
854 Posts
I am a recent noob to the wings as well and from what I have gathered and put to use is, CG is the most critical thing with these wings. get your cg dialed in as near perfect as you can, then give yourself some up trim with the servos centered. also make sure your prop is on correctly. My first attempt mine was on backwards. As silly as it is check that. then give it full wood and chuck it up in the air at a decent angle up. kinda like a frisbee without the flicking motion. once airborne you can adjust speed so you can trim. Also, GET SOME ALTITUDE! I tried triming it out too low and kept crashing.
thats my 2 cents on what has worked for me so far.
Grandpa strap is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:21 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,770 Posts
That is not a beginners model. You have a very slight chance of flying it IF you can fly a high performance model on a simulator. If not you will quickly become disoriented with the flying wing.

If you like HK products start with a Bixler.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski
Old Sep 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2013
123 Posts
I think 900mm wings are easy to fly, if you have some experience. Grandpa has listed all the things that you need to get right. I launch my pop wing at slightly higher than half throttle - the thrust has to be enough for the model to feel light while you are holding it. Additionally, if you are flying slow, you have to control the bank angle and nose pitch up or you might end up tip stalling it. Flying slightly faster might help with stall problem and it is not as overwhelming.
BTW, if this is the first time you are trying to fly, way better option is to get some simulator time - it's a great way to learn bank/yank flying even with regular 4ch simulator model.
Finally, you have to use Expo on your Tx to dumb down the controls.
elewon is offline Find More Posts by elewon
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2013
17 Posts
thks for the advice guys
npmullins is offline Find More Posts by npmullins