HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
25 Posts
Discussion
Maxford USA Tigermoth 105"

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 105 inch TM by Maxford?
blvason is offline Find More Posts by blvason
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2013, 07:09 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Mine's been on the bench forever. I'm painfully slow getting planes done.

I'm building a battery tray. Next will be mounting the motor box and motor.

It will be powered with a Rimfire .65 on 10s 8000 mAH lipos swinging a 24" prop. I figured 24" was a fairly close to scale prop and worked back from there for the rest of the power system. It should be a cruise for the Rimfire.

I may even get it in the air this season.

The covering job is good. It looks like it will stay together. The parts go together nice and straight.

I didn't like the tail wheel and replace the stocker with an Ohio Superstar. The wheels are rock hard and have been replace with Dubro 6" Big Wheels. I took the screw/nut that ties the landing gear cross braces together out so there will be some flex. Mine came with 2 right ailerons and no left. I re-worked the tip on one and made it into a left. Maxford would have probably taken care of it, but the fix wasn't that difficult. There's no battery tray or any suggested method to mount the battery. There's tons of room and getting two 5s 8000 mAH pack in and out is not going to be a problem. The fit of the wing tubes is very tight and the sockets are some kind of plastic. I've pretty much given up on removing/installing the wings in left/right pairs (the fixtures to do so are provided). Well see how the final assembly goes.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Last edited by Tim Wolff; Jul 04, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
25 Posts
Noit alone I guess

First let me apologize for not responding for so long.

I too take far longer than I want to complete my builds. I'm six months in and have spent the dollars on everything I wanted for the TM but due to a family matter that just took all my time I haven't finished. But I think I'm now on the way to some consistent build time so we'll see.

my setup will be:

Rimfire 55cc

Castle 120 HV ESC

12 S by way of 2 22.2 v 5000mHa 6S s.

I do like your idea of softening the undercarriage and plan to do the same. The tires are too hard but I love the wheels so I'm still searching for a softer tire that will fit them.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
I just glued in the motorbox on mine. The motor will mount directly to the firewall. I plan to brace the motorbox on the sides. The battery tray slides in from the rear and allow the packs to be mounted right behind the motor if needed. I'll get some pics posted soon.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:30 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
Hi blvason,
You may find the tyres in the Airtop range more to your liking.
http://www.topmodelcz.cz/index.php?d...eumatic+wheels
Anything foam-filled is virtually useless to protect the rest of the airframe from landing shocks.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Aug 04, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
A few shots of the motor/ESC/battery tray. The 24" prop looks small once it is bolted on. The battery tray slides in from the rear and is retained with dowel pins through the firewall and 6/32 thumbscrews into tee nuts at the rear. Velcro strap material is enroute and the battery tray still needs to be notched on the sides for the strap. Plan is to strap 2 5s 8000 mAH packs to the tray in series and wiggle the whole thing in from the lower hatch or front cockpit (maybe both). Squished some servo grommets into the mounting lugs of the Castle Creations Edge 120 HV and used some servo mounting screws into 1/4" ply mounting plate that I fabricated. I plan on bracing both sides of the motor box in a similar fashion. Enough to at least cover the open structure on the sides. I'll run up the power system and check for any indication that additional stiffness is needed up front.
Last edited by Tim Wolff; Aug 04, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:15 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
At 105" span the model is 1:3.35 according to my maths - which makes the scale prop only just under 21" diameter - in which case (if I got my maths right and the 3-view I have is anywhere near right) makes a 24" prop OVER size - not under!

The original only had 130hp to transmit to the air so all the Gipsy powered full size propellers look small. Having built a few (in fact if I turn up at the field with anything else I get jibes!) I have got used to this but find the scale size just right at my usual scale of 1:5 to run off 3S with lots of power in hand.

Consequently I'm guessing the Maxford design must build up pretty heavy to warrant an over-size prop AND that many cells?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Time flies when you're ignoring the 500 lb. gorilla that is an unfinished Tiger Moth project. The battery tray works as planned. I've managed to dry fit the airframe together and found it goes together with minimal hassles. I came out a bit nose heavy. The RX battery will need to go under the rear cockpit and the power battery all the way back on the tray; 4 inches back from the motor. The CG is probably rearward enough for the maiden. I don't have an accurate scale for these big ones. Me on the bathroom scale with and without the plane suggests it will come in just over 20 lbs. I don't have to add nose weight with the Rimfire 65 up front and it should do more than putt around the sky for 5 minutes on a 10s 8000 mAH lipo.

I'll post some more pictures when I get the flying wires on.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
33 Posts
Maxford Tiger moth

...as a biplane (and Tiger moth) fan, I've been waiting for someone to put one of these together....there's not much info. out there about this one....

...looking forward to more pictures and information! ....good luck on the builds.

If you guy's post any future flight videos on them I'd be wicked happy!

(I wish Maxford had the same scheme Tiggie but in 68" to 72" version.)
Fan369rc is offline Find More Posts by Fan369rc
Old Sep 25, 2013, 02:26 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
I can offer you a nice, and somewhat less run-of-the-mill, alternative of a Fox Moth at your preferred size Fan369rc.

The plan is due to be published in the next (October) issue of QEFI.

Here's a foretaste...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
@ FAN369rc

Or there's this 1/5th scale 71.5in span Tiggie I designed back in 2000 or so and published in the Dec 2003 RC Modeler magazine.

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...6a1ce969eff951

Plan is also in the Traplet range: http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/12055/dh82a-tiger-moth

Started life on 20 2400 nicads and a geared Max Cim inrunner of fond memory, but now flying on 5S 5000 lipos and a Hacker A50-14S on a 16x10 APC-E. Rugged and aerobatic, auw is 8.5lb including batts. Only snag is it now needs the nose remodelling for the outrunner as geared inrunners are not easily available these days.

Short thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128

Apologies for going a tad off topic

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Last edited by Gordon; Sep 25, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Aug 2013
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
@ FAN369rc

Or there's this 1/5th scale 71.5in span Tiggie I designed back in 2000 or so and published in the Dec 2003 RC Modeler magazine.

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?m...6a1ce969eff951

Plan is also in the Traplet range: http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/12055/dh82a-tiger-moth

Started life on 20 2400 nicads and a geared Max Cim inrunner of fond memory, but now flying on 5S 5000 lipos and a Hacker A50-14S on a 16x10 APC-E. Rugged and aerobatic, auw is 8.5lb including batts. Only snag is it now needs the nose remodelling for the outrunner as geared inrunners are not easily available these days.

Short thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128

Apologies for going a tad off topic

Gordon
Before you order any plans from RCM Plans Service do a search of this website for all of the complaints. Long story short you are not likely to get any plans but they are more than willing to take your money.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Oct 09, 2013, 08:40 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,343 Posts
Hmm! That sound serious!
Any problems like that with Traplet?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
25 Posts
Moving along with the TM project

I have been busy on the TM. I have all the rigging done with 1/4 size turnbuckles which look much nicer. I made a tray for the receiver / batteries and LED.

But I am most happy with my mod to connect the three piece wings. I fabricated four simple draw bolts essentially. The bars are 12g aluminum with appropriate holes and nylon bolts and wing nuts. It's simple, light and is so much stronger than any other way. That with the wires gives it so much more strength than I ever imagined. Hope to maiden near new years day or so. I included some pictures.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Nice looking install. I've been considering using actual 1/3 scale turnbuckles for the rigging myself. Please post some additional details of your wing mounting setup. I've been hesitant to start drilling on the wing tubes as described in the instructions. I've also been purchasing a new home and moving. New goal for the maiden is "springtime".