HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Question
E-flite 10-15 rotating retracts trunnion fix?

So, apparently many people are having this problem...

I've gone through three sets of E-flite 10-15 rotating retracts (EFLG120) for my PZ F4U-1A Corsair now, all because of the plastic trunnions breaking on each landing. The longest I've gone without at least one of them snapping off is three flights.

The worst part, of course, is that they've got you by the balls - there aren't any other available retracts (as far as I know) for the PZ Corsair, so if even one of the plastic trunnions break, you're going to have to cough up another hundred bucks to continue scale flying.

My question is has anyone come up with some trick to fix them, or found any alternative products to use as Corsair retracts? After three months now they still haven't bothered to acknowledge the fatal design flaw, so I figured somebody ought to be proactive and start a thread on how to prevent, fix, or replace them with something better.

TL;DR: Solutions to the trunnions breaking on PZ Corsair retracts.
Tyronebiggums is offline Find More Posts by Tyronebiggums
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:19 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,234 Posts
E-flite Retracts for ParkZone Corsair

Here's some information for you:

Several customers have reported the trunnion breaking on their 10 - 15 90 Degree Rotating Electric Retracts (EFLG120). This issue is unacceptable to us and does not meet our overall quality standards. We apologize to any of our customers who experienced issues and we will certainly offer replacement parts to those affected.

We have inspected and analyzed several returned trunnions to identify the cause. We have now attributed the issues to inconsistencies in the molding process. Please be assured we have addressed this situation with our supplier through changes in our manufacturing process and we are confident any future shipments will meet the high quality standards you have seen in the past on E-flite retracts.

We anticipate these parts will be in stock by the early part of January. If you have experienced this issue or have concerns please contact our Product Support department at 877-504-0233.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:07 PM
Grumble Bum
Australia, QLD, Cleveland
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
G'day Dave,
I have had the same problem as Tyronebiggums having broken two trunnions after three flights with soft landings. I am in Australia so how can I get access to the new trunnions?
hjrgrant is offline Find More Posts by hjrgrant
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:48 AM
Australia, WA, Belmont
Joined Aug 2012
201 Posts
Just bought mine in Febuary and same thing on second landing. Hopefully its old stock and we that have already bought these can buy new trunnions with this problem fixed.
Kurtus is offline Find More Posts by Kurtus
Old May 05, 2014, 08:18 AM
Joined May 2014
2 Posts
Just cracked my first set of brand new retracts I bought 3 weeks ago ; about 2 years after this initial post. These retracts still seem to have the problems : internally cracked in smooth landing, no bump or whatever. Landed about 4 time properly.
There are models available with metal internal moving parts but apparently these for the Parkzone Corsair model is still in plastic. Why for god sake do you still sell such fragile parts for retracts that should be able to take off & land the plane so experience the most of the stress ? Very very unsatisfied with this and see the need to look for other brand / model that offers solid retracts.
patrickvdbemt is offline Find More Posts by patrickvdbemt
Old May 07, 2014, 04:16 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickvdbemt View Post
Just cracked my first set of brand new retracts I bought 3 weeks ago ; about 2 years after this initial post. These retracts still seem to have the problems : internally cracked in smooth landing, no bump or whatever. Landed about 4 time properly.
There are models available with metal internal moving parts but apparently these for the Parkzone Corsair model is still in plastic. Why for god sake do you still sell such fragile parts for retracts that should be able to take off & land the plane so experience the most of the stress ? Very very unsatisfied with this and see the need to look for other brand / model that offers solid retracts.
I can't see any information regarding where you live. If it's in North America, please call Horizon Product Support at 888-959-2305 to report the issue and seek help.

Also, it's possible the set you purchased is still old stock. Some shops hold inventory for a very long time.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old May 08, 2014, 04:33 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
replacement trunions

Dave, I do not have boxes and do not have receipts as required by your support group. I wish to purchase these. I was told they were not available. Please comment.
john
ogopogo is offline Find More Posts by ogopogo
Old May 18, 2014, 08:00 AM
Joined Jun 2003
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickvdbemt View Post
I had the same problem just a week or so ago, mine broke on the first landing. When I called HH thinking they would just send a replacement ( its got to be a $0.10 part) they just gave me the part number of the kit to order.the kit costs around $8.
mxw128 is offline Find More Posts by mxw128