HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Discussion
Who was flying R/C over Denver at 8000 feet lol

Here's the story. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D161623 Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2012, 11:12 PM
MasonJee
United States, MO, Ballwin
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
I'd like to imagine it was some rc enthusiast flying fpv in a 35 percent playing chicken with real planes.. now thats an adrenaline rush
masonjee is offline Find More Posts by masonjee
Old May 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
Cessna 25T clear for departure
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonjee View Post
I'd like to imagine it was some rc enthusiast flying fpv in a 35 percent playing chicken with real planes.. now thats an adrenaline rush
Adrenaline rush for who? The RC pilot? What does he have to lose, a few grand in a model?

What about the other guy? Passengers, his own life, private jet (probably $2,000,000 plus).

I'll leave out what I really want to say so this post doesn't get banned.
justindh is offline Find More Posts by justindh
Old May 17, 2012, 09:00 AM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,350 Posts
Sounds like they don't know what it was. However, Large Geese fly at up to 10K feet and even fly at night.

If it was an FPV or remote aircraft that would be unfortunate. I used to be a full scale pilot and when listening on the tower frequencies at an airport in my area I have heard many calls to the tower over the years complaining about a model near their flight path. It is rare but it does occur.

The folks I fly with at a sanctioned field avoid this problem even though we are 5.2 miles from a medium size airport, and just next to a glider field. We get along great with the glider field and they don't have issues with us. Their launch route comes right over our field at about 800 AGL.

One other concern of mine is the FAA really wanted to expand it's authority to get into the shorts of model flyers and this is just the kind of issue that will bring them back at us. In the future there will be a few genius folks that will mess with full size aircraft and eventually I fear the FAA will put us in a tough spot.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old May 17, 2012, 09:12 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
I hope it was either a drone or a bird. If that was RC you had better buy all you can, cause this will surely end it for us.

FTIW large geese fly higher than Everest. There is a species known to fly over the Himalayas.

I agree Dave or what's worse the TSA, or DHS.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 17, 2012, 09:32 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik
I hope it was either a drone or a bird. If that was RC you had better buy all you can, cause this will surely end it for us.
I mostly agreed.

In that initial link to the Huffington Post the main news anchor really choked my chicken the way he said, "[It's] one of those things that makes you wonder, Will," when returning comment to the story's reporter. His spoken nuance seemed more like this is humor than potential tragedy — and then the semi-smile on his face.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old May 17, 2012, 09:34 AM
MasonJee
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindh View Post
Adrenaline rush for who? The RC pilot? What does he have to lose, a few grand in a model?

What about the other guy? Passengers, his own life, private jet (probably $2,000,000 plus).

I'll leave out what I really want to say so this post doesn't get banned.

I'm guessing you've never heard of the game "chicken"... it will probably surprise you that I didnt make it up. And if you read my post it starts with "I'd like to imagine", giving the impression that an rc plane isnt necessarily what I thought this was.

say what you really want to say instead of just saying that you want to say something that you can't say

p.s. I dont think a post can get banned, a post can get deleted and a user can get banned
Old May 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Seriously, if it was RC, it was propably some of those giant expensive racing gliders, that just found too strong thermal and pilot A. Could not get it down because of strong thermal, B. Got high enough that radio signal was lost.
I mean those giant racing glider guys do fly high and play with strong thermals. You are there and you lose signal, up it goes and fast.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old May 17, 2012, 10:01 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,938 Posts
little green men
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old May 17, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
Quote:
I'm guessing you've never heard of the game "chicken"... it will probably surprise you that I didnt make it up. And if you read my post it starts with "I'd like to imagine", giving the impression that an rc plane isnt necessarily what I thought this was.

say what you really want to say instead of just saying that you want to say something that you can't say

p.s. I dont think a post can get banned, a post can get deleted and a user can get banned
Maybe you should have used the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags when posting it. Though if it really was RC then levity is not really what the situation calls for. It's very serious whether it's someone that's gone too far with FPV, or a lost craft, it can be a black eye to all of us.

Here's a good question. The article stated contact was 8000 feet. Is that 8000 feet from sea level (which would be around 3000 feet Denver AGL) or is that 8000 feet Denver AGL which would put it at 13,000 feet sea level.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dedStik; May 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
MasonJee
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
I thought it was an entertaining little article and continuing along the good humor of the OP ("keep em flying ") who obviously also understood that since they have no idea what this object was, it would be ridiculous to start treating it like a imminent threat to our hobby
Last edited by masonjee; May 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
Here's a good question. The article stated contact was 8000 feet. Is that 8000 feet from sea level (which would be around 3000 feet Denver AGL) or is that 8000 feet Denver AGL which would put it at 13,000 feet sea level.
Headline says, "8000 Feet Over Cherry Creek" (elevation is 5673 feet), suggesting approximately 13,600 feet above sea level. Might be difficult to keep typical internal combustion R/C type motor running in air that thin.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Old May 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
crap busted
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old May 17, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5,395 Posts
Quote:
I thought it was an entertaining little article and continuing along the good humor of the OP ("keep em flying ") who obviously also understood that since they have no idea what this object was, it would be ridiculous to start treating it like a imminent threat to our hobby
I can see that there are posts in jest and I get that. What is issue is there is a certain FPV'r on this forum that has flown in my area and done very dangerous stunts, in one instance coming close to crashing his FPV within feet of a bicyclist, and another stunt where he flew 2.8 miles from a park across an international airports traffic lane for a secondary runway (not over airport airspace) and within a 1/2 mile of a military installation and posted video. This person also went on to say he'd soon be back in Denver. Then to hear this today, I'll jump to a few conclusions. As most anyone would.

Now this is in no way attacking FPV, I'm all for anything that furthers the hobby, but if this an RC aircraft then yeah the sky could very well be falling. It took a few terrorists to change air travel in the US forever, we are subjected to searches similar to Checkpoint Charlie under the guise of safety. How long before some a** hat realizes "hey a bomb could be carried by one of those" and bans them.

All it takes is a Congress person to get a wild hair and go on a witch hunt, and it'll spread like wild fire.

With age we lose the ability to do things we loved when we were younger. I've lost the ability to surf can't physically do it. RC is one of the few things I have left and I don't want to lose it.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 17, 2012, 01:01 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,243 Posts
kidding aside has anyone ever got a rc plane to 8000 feet before?
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend