HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2003, 01:32 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Well - today's a bust. Pouring rain right now.

But, it got me to fix the Firebat. A little epoxy, a 6 channel reciever, and a little creative mixing has it ready to fly. I coupled the ailerons to the canard to get some more pitch response. Well, I should have it now. The elevons give about 3/4" up and down travel. I ought to be able to do some really high alpha manoevers. If the rain and wind stop this afternoon, I might run out for a test flight.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2003, 01:45 PM
Orlando
Joined Jan 2003
584 Posts
LI-Poly batteries

Guys.

I just got the surprise of the century this morning.

I was charging the batteries in my P51 in my car this morning, and they either exploded or caught fire. The end result is my car burned to the ground this morning, and also did a little damage to my house.

I was using a Triton charger with the thermal sensor, and I was following instructions. I think the batteries caught the foam body on fire, and that just took the car right down to bare metal. The fire department took 20 minutes to show up, so I'm glad it wasn't my house on fire! I think 9 of my neighbors called 911 too.

I'll follow up with some more specifics and pictures, but be careful where and how you charge your batteries.

Steve
RacerX is offline Find More Posts by RacerX
Old Mar 01, 2003, 01:57 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
OML,

Dude sorry to hear that.

I always watch my batts when I charge them.

I have heard enough horror stories, I'm keeping a close eye.

WHat kind of car??????????? Insurance cover it????????
LESLIEx317537 is offline Find More Posts by LESLIEx317537
Old Mar 01, 2003, 02:14 PM
Deltona, FL
Joined Jan 2003
94 Posts
burned car = terrible reminder!!!

Steve, that is a terrible reminder to us all about charging.

I think I'm being careful enough by only charging my batteries on a metal table when I can't keep a constant eye on them. Otherwise I'm charging them while very closely monitoring their condition.

Your story has me re-thinking my battery charging habits!

On a positive note, I flew for 5 hours today at the club field in Sanford (on east 46) and the conditions were very nice with low to moderate winds and no rain (but there was plenty of cloud cover). I flew all my planes and didn't crash anything. I did dozens of touch-and-go's with my Magic 300 and was having a blast going inverted immediately after takeoff. I think the guys at the field all had side bets on when I'd crash it.
jerry426 is offline Find More Posts by jerry426
Old Mar 01, 2003, 04:17 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,946 Posts
Holy $#%^

Steve:

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you that your insurance company comes through.

DaveWCO
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Mar 01, 2003, 06:40 PM
Orlando
Joined Jan 2003
584 Posts
Lithium batts

It "WAS" a Dodge Intrepid, and I'm pretty sure insurance will cover everything.

Got a rental now, but am sadly planeless as all the planes and radio gear went up with the car.

If the wife will let me, I'll be replacing them in the near future. I'll have to construct a concrete safe that I will have to charge my batteries in at the bottom of a lake somewhere for her to feel any better though.

I've often compared my new hobby to smoking crack for the pure cash draining power of it. Now I can say my hobby burned my car down too.

Steve
RacerX is offline Find More Posts by RacerX
Old Mar 01, 2003, 06:49 PM
Orlando Fl
Joined Jan 2002
1,900 Posts
Steve, sorry to hear of your "adventure".
Carlos, the fire bat ready to fly weighs 13.1 oz! I didn't think it was that light.
BTW I am going to change to the IPS dual on the moth and fly it some tonight
Chuck
Chuck McHugh is offline Find More Posts by Chuck McHugh
Old Mar 01, 2003, 07:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck McHugh
Steve, sorry to hear of your "adventure".
Carlos, the fire bat ready to fly weighs 13.1 oz! I didn't think it was that light.
BTW I am going to change to the IPS dual on the moth and fly it some tonight
Chuck
Chuck,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that is 3oz. lighter than my ZERO! I am now ordering two from TOWER HOBBIES!!

Thanks again guys!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 01, 2003, 08:16 PM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Hey guys got back from a trip to Jacksonville today to visit another flight school and saw the winds were dead calm. Headed over to the tennis courts and put another 30 mins on the moth....1 pack including multiple full throttle loops and climbs.
Flew the SS as well and its flying great as well. Nice to get my mind off of everything for awhile.
RacerX Im sorry to hear about that fire...its been a crappy week.
-Sean
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:36 PM
Account Disabled for innapropriate postings
Long Island, NY
Joined Feb 2003
44 Posts
sux...

Thank god you are okay. thats why i always charge my battery using my girlfriends car. hehe. Maidened the Disco Stick tonight.
15 mph gusts, light rain/sleet, and 25 degrees..... but it was the only time in my forseeable future to fly, so, "why not?"
http://www.silentflightonline.com/Si...sp?ImgNum=1050
LI-Audio 1 is offline Find More Posts by LI-Audio 1
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:37 PM
Account Disabled for innapropriate postings
Long Island, NY
Joined Feb 2003
44 Posts
ohh....only 1/4 of the led's were on it and they were aimed down, soo....not very bright on video
LI-Audio 1 is offline Find More Posts by LI-Audio 1
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:52 PM
plane crazy
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
LOL Mike if you like the hobby now wait till you start learining how to land!
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:52 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Steve -

Sorry to hear the news. IT's really strange that the Triton would overcharge the batteries to the point of exploding. I did that with my old Dymond Charger. That's how I melted my Crazy Max. Luckily I caught it before they went boom.

What batteries were you charging? I was charging one of my old NiMH's today and I mistakenly had it on Nicad setting. I smelled something melting and grabbed them just as the shrink wrap went.

Well we had a decent evening at the field. Got some more air to air with the Insane Stick (SS now on MiniAC power)

Here's Chuck
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:54 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Chuck's Moth again
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:56 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
2 moths VERY close to hitting each other. They just missed a couple of times. This one is the only one that came out.