Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
52 Posts
Question
Which is better to learn 3d

So I'm deciding which plane should I get to learn 3d.

1) slick 51 or 71 slick 3dhs

2)extreme flight

which would you recommend.?
fearlesshugo is offline Find More Posts by fearlesshugo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:24 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,455 Posts
Give this a look............... http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...ide-to-3d.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jul 26, 2014, 01:44 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
660 Posts
IMO.....EF all the way!!!!! Better built airframes, better customer service, airframes normally in stock much more often, larger in stock replacement parts, not having to wait for months for stock to come back in, great email/phone response etc. I could go on if needed but these are some of the reasons I stick with only EF. Every plane I've owned from them has flown amazing....much better than anything else I've flown. The EXP series are totally amazing!
flygilmore is online now Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jul 26, 2014, 02:01 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,026 Posts
I have a 3DHS 51 slick and an EF 48 laser. The laser is helping me more. I think I may not have quite the skill level yet to get the most from the slick.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jul 26, 2014, 04:18 PM
Joined Jun 2009
52 Posts
Hey Aeroken what do you mean by it's helping you more please explain.?
Also what is the difference that you have comparing the both.?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 06:04 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,026 Posts
The slick isn't as stable in harrier, it seems to get bounced a little more by the wind, it just seems to be a little harder to do things with. Well except hovering - for some reason it seems a little easier to hover. The laser pretty much just does what I want it to. It seems to encourage me to try new things. It inspires more confidence I guess. Tried a crankshaft with it way sooner than I expected to be ready to, and on the second or third attempt got a good one. I always get good ones now. Slow rolls are nice, and getting nicer. Harriers getting better every time, working on waterfalls now. I've been occasionally working on snap rolls for some time now, first time I tried them with the laser it was like I suddenly got it. Logic says it can't be much harder to do any of those things with the slick, so maybe it's psychological. Don't know, don't really care either.
The laser is a smaller fuselage, but it's way easier to get the battery in and out of. Both are good quality ARFs, but the laser did go together a little easier - the holes for wing tube, etc are already opened up for you, the elevator comes pre-assembled (on the slick it comes it two halfs you need to glue together), and the ball joints that come in the kit seem to be a little higher quality. There are a lot of little nice features - little slots for a cable tie to hold the receiver and ESC in.
All of the above is why the 3rd balsa plane I got (currently sitting on my build table) is an EF 60"edge.
I know the slick can do impressive things and many people love it, and I expect that as my skill level increases I may start liking it more. But for now the laser gets most of my attention.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
52 Posts
Thanks a lot for you input after you telling me this I'm leaning towards the ef more. I'm pretty new to 3d as well. I currently fly a sunwing mxs epp/hybrid 48inch. Snap rolls are nice n easy to perform, hovering is a bit harder, still working on the harrier rolls. I just wanted something easyier to learn 3d and wanted a good airframe to do it on, that why I choose either of the 2.
I only read good things about them.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:57 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
The slick isn't as stable in harrier, it seems to get bounced a little more by the wind, it just seems to be a little harder to do things with. Well except hovering - for some reason it seems a little easier to hover. The laser pretty much just does what I want it to. It seems to encourage me to try new things. It inspires more confidence I guess. Tried a crankshaft with it way sooner than I expected to be ready to, and on the second or third attempt got a good one. I always get good ones now. Slow rolls are nice, and getting nicer. Harriers getting better every time, working on waterfalls now. I've been occasionally working on snap rolls for some time now, first time I tried them with the laser it was like I suddenly got it. Logic says it can't be much harder to do any of those things with the slick, so maybe it's psychological. Don't know, don't really care either.
The laser is a smaller fuselage, but it's way easier to get the battery in and out of. Both are good quality ARFs, but the laser did go together a little easier - the holes for wing tube, etc are already opened up for you, the elevator comes pre-assembled (on the slick it comes it two halfs you need to glue together), and the ball joints that come in the kit seem to be a little higher quality. There are a lot of little nice features - little slots for a cable tie to hold the receiver and ESC in.
All of the above is why the 3rd balsa plane I got (currently sitting on my build table) is an EF 60"edge.
I know the slick can do impressive things and many people love it, and I expect that as my skill level increases I may start liking it more. But for now the laser gets most of my attention.
The slick harriers just fine.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:03 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,851 Posts
Both make great airframes. Slicks are generally viewed as great airframes to learn 3d with (along with edges). Where are you located? Many guys out there have both and might be willing to let you have a pull on one to let you decide for yourself.

There is a great event coming up in TN that is being sponsored by both companies. A great opportunity to try both.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:08 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
The slick harriers just fine.
I know the slick can harrier nicely - I've seen videos. But in my personal experience it's just not as stable as the laser. Particularly with slight puffy breeze. Perhaps once you get over some threshold in skills it doesn't make a difference, but at my skill level it does.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlesshugo View Post
Thanks a lot for you input after you telling me this I'm leaning towards the ef more. I'm pretty new to 3d as well. I currently fly a sunwing mxs epp/hybrid 48inch. Snap rolls are nice n easy to perform, hovering is a bit harder, still working on the harrier rolls. I just wanted something easyier to learn 3d and wanted a good airframe to do it on, that why I choose either of the 2.
I only read good things about them.
If you already have a Skywing 48in EPP hybrid, then I would advise you to improve your 3D proficiency with that before you buy a balsa 3D plane. If you have one of the flat fuselage MXS planes from a few years ago, then perhaps consider getting one of the newer scale fuselage Skywing planes as the next step; they fly much more like a balsa plane and a number of people, myself included, have noticed that they are easier to fly post-stall than balsa planes in the same size. My favourite Skywing scale EPP plane is the 48" Slick, but others prefer the Edge or the MXS. Here's a video of the Slick to give you an idea of how it flies, though if you already have one of the newer Skywing scale planes, you probably already know how they fly. I think they fly similarly to the 46" to 48" balsa planes I used to have, but I sold the balsas because I find the Skywing planes to be more enjoyable for me.

Skywing 48" Slick - Windy Flying Highlights (2 min 3 sec)

If you do decide to get a balsa, I will put in a vote for one of the EF 48" EXP planes; the Edge is a great one to develop your 3D skills on.
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined Jun 2009
52 Posts
Yes I have the skywing 48 but its the older version the flatter version. Its not as floating as I seen some other planes that the same size.,
I live in Canada so pretty hard finding a used slick or eflight here.
Last edited by fearlesshugo; Jul 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:23 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,490 Posts
I have a 3DHS 59" Slick and an EF 60" Edge. IMO, of the two, the Edge is more beginner friendly, the Slick for a little more advanced pilot. I also have an EF 48" MSX, which is even more responsive than either.

Build quality is similar on both brands , I believe. I like the replaceable motor box on the 3DHS planes very much.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck