Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:14 AM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Build Log
CG's Dumas Whitehall

Started with the 0-1 level then the bridge, followed by the bridge deck:

The expanded a.b.s parts are a p.i.t.a. to deal with, so I replaced quite a few of them with .032" styrene sheet.

Next up will be the hull! Back later!

CG
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:27 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
O.K.! On with the hull! This is a 2-piece, vacuum formed PVC assembly and "slow-and-easy" is the key here! Follow the "destructions" closely!!!

Before beginning, make sure you have at least 10 binder-clips, as they will be responsible for holding the hull halves in alignment as you anchor the seam together with thick-bodied CA!!

Once all has been allowed to set up, for as long as you can stand to be away from her, the flange is carefully trimmed away, and sanded smooth. Prior to filling the imperfections on her keel, I went ahead and reinforced the inside hull seam with the provided fiberglass tape, and thin-bodied CA. After allowing that to set up, I brushed a coat of 5-minute epoxy over the fiberglass tape and let that set over night.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:38 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Hull is pretty clean, and the fiberglass tape and epoxy are completely set up!
Next I installed the center deck support, and the bulkhead. Once that was set, I added the forward deck, which will need to be filled a bit on the extreme bow end, as the factory die cut deck fits like a "hamburger"!! Hah!! I used a little Green Squadron filler, and after sanding, followed that up with a bit of automotive type spot glazing putty, and a little more sanding! Came out pretty decent, I think!

I have also cemented the wood strips to the inside of the hull which will support the after deck.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:49 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Next up, I thought I'd assemble the keel, with her stuffing tube, and get that done so I could figure out my motor alignment!! Easier said than done!! Just something not really cool about "expanded a.b.s."!! The "simple-to-follow" sequence, from the "here's-how-ya-do-this" sheet, ain't quite what it appears ta be!! Hah!!
Really gotta take your time, and measure things a lot, before committing to splashin' the CA to her!!

What seems like it should be a "no-brainer", ends up slightly not so!! Ennyhoo, just know that a little fiddlin' around with it will be necessary!! But, I digress....Hah!!

Also, the suggested motor mounting "technique" will require a bit of "tweaking"!!
Sur-PRISE, sur-prise!! (LOL)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:52 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygary View Post
...die cut deck fits like a "hamburger"!! Hah!!

Clean looking work!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:00 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Thanks, Aerominded!!

Clean is good!! hah!!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:04 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Got keel??? Alrighty, then!

Motor and servo are installed and aligned so they make sense!! Hah!!

The motor I'm using is a Dumas 4.8v unit, and the servo is a pretty nice little micro servo, as a standard servo is a bit too big, and interferes with the after deck! And, how do I know this??? Hmmmm!! (LOL)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:09 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
I added the rub rails and bilge keels next! Rub rails are pretty straight forward, but the bilge keels!! Ahhh!! Let me just say, interesting!! Takes a bit of perseverance to get them to the right shape, or as close to it as your brain cells will allow!!

After a little sanding, and another shot of primer, here's how they look!! I'm pretty pleased with them!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:23 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Ready for a run through the "paint shop", which is actually my potting bench on the back patio!! Hah!!

I followed CG Bob's color scheme and went with the Measure 22 Graded! I really like the look of it!! Thanks, CGBob!!!

This is a fun build, for anyone who may be considering it!! She's 1/96 scale, and finishes at just under 23" long, with a 4" beam! Pretty respectable for a pool runner, but big enough for pond running as well!!

Hull color above the boot topping is Model Master Intermediate Blue, and upper hull is Tamiya Light Ghost Gray, as will be all of her superstructure.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:54 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Here she is in her current state of build! The bridge and stack are not permanently attached yet, as I'll want to add some of her details now, before backing myself into a corner and not being able to access where they need to go!!

Just received all of my deck fittings, guns, etc., from HR Products yesterday, and will need to do quite a bit of cleaning up on them before they're ready to be added!
A bit "rough" they be!!! Hah!!

All of the superstructure is Tamiya Light Ghost Gray, and all elevated decks, as well as the bottoms of the gun tubs, are Model Master Gunship Gray.

I like the big drop-shadow hull numbers! May look a little out of place, but....

Also have some brass etched railings which will be added at a later date.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 01:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Very nice!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:45 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Thank you, Sir!!
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:21 PM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
973 Posts
Ooh. Very, very nice--and clean build too. CG has skills and finesse.

The drop shadow hull number pretty much signifies this as a post-war/peacetime vessel as does the black topping on the stack. Use those big hull numbers at war and they make your ship a target.

What colour did you use for the hull red? It looks about right, a shade of oxide and not too much crimson.
Harquebus is online now Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:34 AM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Mornin', Harq!!

Appreciate the nice comments!! Especially the reference to "big hull numbers=big target"!! Hope they realized that before the poop hit the fan!! Hah!!

Hull bottom was painted with Rustoleum "Painters Touch", Colonial Red!! The color sample looked pretty good, so I thought I'd try it out!! Worked out pretty well!! Nice paint with excellent coverage!! Dries pretty quick, too.

Cleaning up cast white metal detailing parts today. Looks like HR Product's molds could use replacing on a lot of their parts, but, for about 50 bucks, you can get all of the deck fittings, guns, directors, etc., that Dumas lists for this particular model! Not a bad "trade-off" having to put the little files and sanding sticks to good use periodically!! Until Social Security can hook us up with a serious raise, this'll be the norm for me!! Hah!!
Have a good one, Harq!!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:51 PM
crazygary
Joined Aug 2011
214 Posts
Tractor work is finally finished!! Whew!!
Back to the fun stuff!!

Made a little progress today. I'm starting to add some of the HR cast metal details, which ain't quite a "slam-dunk"!! Pretty rough castings that need a bunch of T.L.C.
to make them look decent!! But, they were priced "right", so I really can't complain!!

Bridge supports are in, and the bridge is finally anchored to the deck! Life rafts, hose hangers, and lockers next to where the hedgehog launcher will go, are in place. Coming along pretty o.k.! The time consuming part is, once again, cleaning up the castings.