Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:26 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,053 Posts
Our local glider field is sort of vaguely almost close to that layout - sometimes

That document has something in it that confuses me.

Quote:
Under certain conditions it may be possible to achieve a flying area covering almost 360 as long as care is taken to fulfill Radio Control items 2 and 4 of the official AMA Safety Code. This is especially true for small clubs and general sport flying in rural or low-population-density areas.
Which #2 and #4 are they referring to in the safety code? There are 2ea #2 and #4 lines in the safety code.

Im also not sure what that last sentence means and why it would be the case.
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:32 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,102 Posts
They are talking about the Radio Control Section (B) items 2 and 4, but it might be an older reference, the Safety Code was increased substantially in the past 5 years since AMA has been working with the FAA on the much-delayed NPRM. The current 2/4 items speak to a range check and use of approved FCC frequencies only ... clauses that don't do much for setting a flight area.

Because of the nature of thermal flight ("pure" and winch-in-the-nose) makes operation at extreme altitude and distance from the pilot the norm, the overall Safety Code parameter (at least to me) is flight within visual line of sight ... and that will be different for every pilot at the flight line. No-fly zones and altitude limits are common modifiers of flight areas in soaring (no flight over the pits less than two tents high, don't fly over the police station across the street).

As in life, I believe that common sense should be the modelers' guide when setting up a flying field.a. I don't have access to a safety code document older than 2012.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:09 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
There is a recommended flying field layout for soaring in the fling site recommendations document http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/706.pdf
I forgot about that. That is at least some justification for what we do.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:28 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
At my advanced age I am amazed, nay bemused, that so much space has been devoted to such an issue as this.
I have CD'd about 40 contests from local club events to major regional sailplane and LMR events. Such an issue has NEVER arisen. Most flyers of sailplanes, no matter how they are launched, seem to use common sense when it comes to safety and model construction.
I could say that 'common sense' is not so common any more, but that would be trite.

over and out.

IAIN
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Jun 17, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:43 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,444 Posts
IAIN,

Glad we could serve as a source of amusement! RC Groups is ultimately a source of entertainment.

Ryan
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:36 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
...but that would be trite.
Indeed ... yet true
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2005
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
at my advanced age i am amzed, nay bemused, that so much space has been devoted to such an issue as this.
I have cd'd about 40 contests from local club events to major regional sailplane and lmr events. Such an issue has never arisen. Most flyers of sailplanes, no matter how they are launched, seem to use common sense when it comes to safety and model construction.
I could say that 'common sense' is not so common any more, but that would be trite.

Over and out.

Iain

+1.
Ronald Mong is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:40 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
IAIN,

Glad we could serve as a source of amusement! RC Groups is ultimately a source of entertainment.

Ryan
Dont forget the occasional bit of irritation if you take things a bit too seriously
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:49 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrE View Post
Dont forget the occasional bit of irritation if you take things a bit too seriously
Yes, you are welcome for the irritation for those of you that enjoy that sort of thing.

Ryan
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:50 AM
TEAM FUTABA TEAM DURALITE
Joined Nov 2004
742 Posts
should my table saw blade have a smooth nut or a regular nut?
mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by mithrandir
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 AM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,444 Posts
Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

Ryan
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:44 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
Joined May 2002
3,783 Posts
Doesn't matter on me table saws provided one uses a Left handed nut, as Right handed Nuts seems to loose their heads in practical everyday use.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:04 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,444 Posts
Horizon sent me replacement blades and fuselage for the radian I had that the hub blew up on. While I'm moving the gear to the new fuselage I put the blades on this spinner/hub for my allegro.

Ryan
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:12 AM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,053 Posts
Shiny!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 01:17 AM
launch low, fly high
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Dec 2004
1,754 Posts
MrE,

Does Ryans new gear installation meet with your contest entry requirements?
Joe W is offline Find More Posts by Joe W