Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:22 PM
Fly like there's no tomorrow!
United States, WI
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
Build Log
1:36 Foamboard Airbus A300

Hello all,

I realize I've been on a hiatus for quite a few months, but my interests are turning back outside as the weather warms up again. Yeah, right...

Anyway, this will be my build log of this beast. Not sure what scheme I'm going to paint it yet, but I'm leaning towards FedEx (Most common A300 around here). Please note that although I am usually a perfectionist, I have told myself that this will be an exploratory fun build, so some dimensions may not be to scale.

So, dimensions are as follows:
Material: Dollar Store Foam board (Readi-board)
Length: 60"
Wingspan: 50" (for simplicity and rounding purposes)
Power: 2x55mm EDF's (please drop a line below recommending a good make and model)
ESC: ??? (pending power choices)
Battery: Would like to stick with Ni-MH (I hear groans... )
Weight: Haven't measured, just aiming to make her light and strong.

Looking at making it 5ch right now, retracts being the additional. I only have a 4ch transmitter, so I may upgrade later. Flaps will remain part of the solid wing for now, and may be hinged later. Also note that my methods are a compilation of other methods seen here on RCG and other forums, and some may be exploratory. Again, I'm trying to make this systematic to streamline the process and make airliners easier to build. I am using a page from deltamazda (Paul) for the schematics. Thanks for posting those schematics on the other thread, Paul!

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

So, let's get building!
Boeing_to_EMD is offline Find More Posts by Boeing_to_EMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:52 PM
United States, WI
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
The following happened in 5 hours last night... Kinda proud of myself for doing so much in such a short time!

Alright, so we start with taking a look over our schematics (same page, just printed differently). (pic #1) We take note of what we want to work on, that is, the main fuselage from behind the forward gear to about 2/3rds of the way back (where it says "solid foam"). (pic #2).

Right then, rounding up, that'll be a 30" section, exactly the length of the foam board sheets. Since this aircraft is going to have a fuselage diameter of approx. 6.2", we'll make the internal supports to measure 6" (depron skin will later take care of the rest). Now, using my experience with building profile planes, we use cross sections for our main backbone. After cutting a single 6"x30" strip and two 3"x30" strips, we're ready to move onto the ribs. (Note that the 3" wide strips will be the top and bottom of the + shape, with the 6" wide strip being the - of the +).

Since this is my first airliner, I decided to make a simple circle for my fuselage (I sense many groans... ). After using a compass set to a 3" radius, I made my template piece of foam and traced out 28 pieces. (see pic #3). Note that the horizontal lines are where the ribs will be glued. Don't forget, this is the section where the wings will sit, so we need to build a wingbox. Picture #4 shows the bottom section of the + with an area for the wingbox cut out. Picture #5 is the basis of the wingbox (10"x6" with front and rear "lock-in" supports for the wings). #6 and #7 show the added insulation foam and more foam board supports for attachment to the - of the +.

(Confused yet? No? Good, keep up!)

In #8, I glued the bottom of the of the + to the - of the + and glued the wingbox to both. Obviously, it is the center of the plane and must be strong, so hot glue was used liberally. There is a slight gap underneath the wingbox, exactly where the wings will sit. #9 shows the inverted fuselage (without the top part of the +) where I ribbed the pieces together. #10 is the right-side-up version of #9, nothing changed. Then I glued the top piece of the + to the - of the + (I really need a better way to describe this. (# 11). And finally, I ribbed the top part of the fuselage in #12. All of this took 5 hours, but what a fun 5 hours it was!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:54 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Grumble grumble! :P jk
Great work subbed !
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 22, 2014, 02:17 PM
Balsa and Foam can Coexist
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
1,908 Posts
Nice work!! I recommend DonsRC and his wicked setups, I used one of his 64mm wicked motors + EDO fans on a similar sized twin airliner and I got a ton of power.

I highly advise against NiMH unless you want to have short white-knuckle flights - LiPos are really the only way to go these days with EDFs .

Keep up the good work!

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:29 PM
United States, WI
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
Nice work!! I recommend DonsRC and his wicked setups, I used one of his 64mm wicked motors + EDO fans on a similar sized twin airliner and I got a ton of power.

I highly advise against NiMH unless you want to have short white-knuckle flights - LiPos are really the only way to go these days with EDFs .

Keep up the good work!

Ethan
Thanks, Ethan. After doing more and more research, I've come to the conclusion that you are correct about Lipos. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and change over. More new stuff! I took a look at Don's EDF setups; doesn't look bad, but he doesn't have 55mm units. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:36 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
check out the Changesun 50mm 11blade fans and the Dr Mad thrust units from HK as they pack quite the punch too
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, WI
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
Day 2; The Nose

With the easy part completed last night, I had a decision to make today: nose or tail. I chose the former. I started out by blowing up the schematic to the size I needed and traced it onto the foam and cut it out (#1). Then I made two side pieces for a "+" shape, similar to the fuselage (#2). I mapped out where the ribs will be glued and glued the sides to the main piece of the nose (#3). I then glued the nose to the fuselage and used 4 wood pieces to reinforce the attachment (#4). And finally (#5), I measured and cut out ribs for the nose.

Just 22" left until the fuselage is whole!
Old Mar 22, 2014, 07:09 PM
Registered Idiot
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,824 Posts
Nice Work Mate!
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:04 AM
United States, WI
Joined Jul 2012
41 Posts
Thanks, K!

So, I've been looking at a potential power setup and would like y'all's opinion on it.

2 of these units: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ed_199_8W.html

With 2 of these ESCs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html