HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:30 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Idea
Care To Help? Looking At Ways To Promote Model Building and Helping Others

Piggybacking on the success of the building clinic, I am wondering if anyone would like to volunteer their time and skills to help folks in your locale to build a balsa airplane. Right now I am trying to see if there is actually a need for such services or if people just prefer to buy balsa ARFs. My thought is that there are some many great kits being offered out there, but only those that take the time to build them can enjoy them.

But if we can gather some folks up that are willing to either assist or build kit planes for those others that cannot due to whatever reason; skills, health, time etc., we can get these great flying planes into their hangars.

Anyone want to join me in volunteering to do this?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Updated Title
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:53 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Frank, your enthusiasm for promoting the art of model building is commendable!
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

This project is a win-win for all involved. We get to build great kits for free and also get the enjoyment/satisfaction of helping out our fellow modeler at the same time. What could be better than that?

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
After my Stinson is done, I'm willing to build up a plane for someone. They would, of course, need to pay for all supplies, equipment, kit, etc. My services would be free.

It's a great idea...and a way to avoid to constant bloat of my fleet while still enjoying the art of building.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:33 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
After my Stinson is done, I'm willing to build up a plane for someone. They would, of course, need to pay for all supplies, equipment, kit, etc. My services would be free.

It's a great idea...and a way to avoid to constant bloat of my fleet while still enjoying the art of building.
Awesome! Thanks for volunteering. And you nailed it how I see it working. Everything paid for, you just supply the talent and expertise.

Thanks again and I'll add your name to my blog thread.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:37 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,459 Posts
I'm one of the instructors in the club. About twice a year I hold building clinics for newbie club members that have just solo'd and ready to take the next step. I hold these clinics in my home shop because thats where all my tools are, easier than going to the field and forgetting something. We started this about two years ago and get about 4 to 6 attendee's. We cover setups, cg, quick repairs to big repairs, build processes, alignment, glassing, making fiberglass parts and so on. Only one of the attendee's has continued on. I dont really have time to build for someone though.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:30 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
If only I had the time! Great idea, though, and I'll tag the thread for future reference!
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,175 Posts
Yes, and way ahead of you.... see the Stevens Edge thread
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:29 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Dec 2009
1,565 Posts
Currently building a Peter Rake 1/8 Albatross DII for a clubmate. The poor guy had been showing off the plans and laser cut kit for years without starting. At the end of last season I offered to put it together during the winter. About a third done.
V-Man is online now Find More Posts by V-Man
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: YouTube Channel - CallSignVMan
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51 View Post
If only I had the time! Great idea, though, and I'll tag the thread for future reference!
Thanks! This idea came to me a long time ago, but do to personal commitments (read real life issues) I felt I did not have the time or energy to devote to this project. But I came to the realization that I will always have conflicting time constraints so I needed to up the priority on this.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:18 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,368 Posts
Are you US based? If so I will donate a kit.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
Are you US based? If so I will donate a kit.
We don't need kits. We are looking for folks willing to donate some time to help/teach others build planes or for those who cannot build planes, we are looking for people to donate their talents to build a plane for those who can't.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:08 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
It's been slow going but we are getting some more volunteers. We have opened this up to flight instructors and people to assist with building foam planes and ARFs.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:58 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,322 Posts
I have a second board going and once I finish the 40 size profile currently occupying it I will be starting an Ultra Sport 40 for a friend. Hopefully this is the first of many future "favor builds". I love to build, but my fleet is getting too big...so helping other folks get their kits built works great for me!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
I have a second board going and once I finish the 40 size profile currently occupying it I will be starting an Ultra Sport 40 for a friend. Hopefully this is the first of many future "favor builds". I love to build, but my fleet is getting too big...so helping other folks get their kits built works great for me!
That sounds great! Glad to hear it. Helping others is a reward upon itself.

In my position, I love to build as well, but simply cannot afford to do so. I have more time than money as the saying goes.

Frank
RCG Plus Member