HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:57 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,935 Posts
Discussion
Carbon RX

I have an older JR 8103 that I'd like to add a 2.4 module to. I'd definitely like to try the XPS system but I mainly fly sailplanes with full carbon fuselages. I've seen it mentioned in other threads that you may be working on an RX for carbon fuses. Is this in the works? If it's coming in the near future, I don't mind waiting to try it.

Thanks,
Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Yes, the new RF module has twin antennas that can be placed outside of the fuse - the only way to get 2.4GHz systems to work with all carbon setups.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:14 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,935 Posts
Yes, "whiskers" are very popular in the sailplane world.

ETA on the new RX Jim?

Thanks,
Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:11 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
No, but I expect to see the boards in March.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:23 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined May 2004
80 Posts
Antenna length

Hi Jim

What is the length of each antenna on the new receivers? Is it the same length as the old glider receiver (about 220mm as I measure it). I recall seeing the antenna length mentioned in another thread but can't find it.

I'm putting together a new gilder. Until the new receivers are released, I'll need to temporarily pull a glider receiver from another gilder. I'm hoping the new receiver is going to be a drop in fit of the glider receiver with the same length antenna and I'll just need to drill a second hole in the fuselage for the 2nd antenna.

Vernon
Gorgonzola is offline Find More Posts by Gorgonzola
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:09 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
The length of the RFU antenna wires is 165mm each.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:43 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Hello Jim,

Will your new 900 MHz RF modules work with the antenna inside a carbon fuselage?

-John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Yes, the new RF module has twin antennas that can be placed outside of the fuse - the only way to get 2.4GHz systems to work with all carbon setups.
jbeanelliott is offline Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:41 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Yes, that is possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2013, 04:23 AM
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Jim,
Are you still planning on selling 900 MHz modules?

-John E.

Quote:
Yes, that is possible.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 09:30 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeanelliott View Post
Jim,
Are you still planning on selling 900 MHz modules?

-John E.
from Jim in another thread... "I do not believe we will be able to release a 900MHz system to the public. But we will know more towards the end of the year when the Dept. of Homeland Security tells the FAA what they can do with models, UAS, and UAVs."
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:17 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
Ditto, what I said.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Quote:
Ditto, what I said.
Jim,

But your website for your XPS RF Technology Division still says "Both 2.4GHz and 900MHz products will be available" (see link and excerpt below). Does that just mean the divbee.net website has not been updated?

-John E.

http://www.divbee.net/
XPS RF Technology Division Home Page With years of experience in radio control aircraft/UAV electronics development, XPS has been the industry leader providing cutting edge technology to entities such as NASA, law enforcement agencies, the U.S. government, Hollywood production studios, and many others. XPS has spent the last 2 years developing long range RF transceievers, designed to be used primarily with UAV/UAS setups. During the course of this development it became obvious that this technology can be used for many other fields. So, a RF Technology Division of XPS was estalblished. The goal of this division is to develop and market consumer and industrial RF products. Using electronics built by an ISO9001:2000 certified contractor, quality and reliability are never in question. Over-engineered to meet the rigorous requirements of the space program, weapons control systems, and other high demand applications, products sold today will still be fully operational for decades to come. Our engineering staff can provide many different solutions for your RF needs. We specialize in data encryption, data compression, frequency hopping, firmware development, and hardware integration. Our products are primarily 802.15.4 based, but we can support other modulation types. Both 2.4GHz and 900MHz products will be available. Do you have a need for Zigbee/802.15.4 communications? If so, let XPS help you integrate our technology into your product line. Using our pre-certified RF hardware means you do not need to wait on FCC/IC/ETSI testing, so your time to market can be reduced from months/years to just weeks! Contact us now with your development request by clicking here. Take a look at our lastest news by clicking the NEWS link above. We always have something new and exciting to share.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:03 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,721 Posts
900MHz *is* available if you qualify, meaning military applications only at the moment.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:39 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,413 Posts
May have to push harder for permission
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Last edited by RyanNX211; Jun 25, 2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
May have to push harder for permission
wont get far by posting an article by Bruce Simpson, Jim is not exactly a fan
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM