HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
Gmade R1 - Lipo instead of Nicd?? Help??

Hello all - I am a newbie to crawling and have been out of surface RC for a few years. Looking at a Gmade R1 and notice it requires a 6cell 7.2v stick pack. I have this on my 4 year old Slash, but want to use Lipo on the R1. What all do I need to change? Do I use a special ESC or motor? Was looking at the Traxxass Titan550 motor and XL-5 ESC. Would these work with a Lipo? What cell count would I use, 2s or 3s? Would brushless make a huge difference?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!
phishintodd is offline Find More Posts by phishintodd
Last edited by phishintodd; Jan 14, 2013 at 08:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:24 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
you have a thread on this already .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Not sure how to delete threads.
phishintodd is offline Find More Posts by phishintodd
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phishintodd View Post
Hello all - I am a newbie to crawling and have been out of surface RC for a few years. Looking at a Gmade R1 and notice it requires a 6cell 7.2v stick pack. I have this on my 4 year old Slash, but want to use Lipo on the R1. What all do I need to change? Do I use a special ESC or motor? Was looking at the Traxxass Titan550 motor and XL-5 ESC. Would these work with a Lipo? What cell count would I use, 2s or 3s? Would brushless make a huge difference?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!
i'll take a stab at a few of these questions.

first the truck really doesn't care what chemistry the battery is. it just wants power. now lipo batteries you will need a lipo compatible charger that also balances the cells or an external cell balancer. a lipo can NOT be fully discharged as this will kill the battery. see below.

1. you need an esc with a lipo cutoff, or you can buy an external lipo alarm.

2. motor wise, they don't really care what battery as long as your not throwing to many volts thru it.

3. a titan 550 is a little big physically for the gmade. it will fit but takes some work to get it to work. a good 540 can motor would work just as well.

4. depending on which version of the XL-5 you get it will come with a lipo cutoffor not. also most of the xl-5's do NOT have a drag brake. drag brake is very important to a rockcrawler.

5. brushless is great for normal bashing and certain rockcrawling, however you really need to run a sensored brushless setup. so you would need a sensored esc and motor. one downside to brushless is drag brake. lets say your going down a steep hill. you let off the throttle and the truck will stop dead in it's track. this can cause the truck to flip over. if you just slightly touch the throttle the motor will go into freewheel and will roll down the hill FAST. it takes some getting used to but can be overcome with good driving.

6. lipo cell count is alot of personal preference. for me 2s just doesn't give me the punch i like. 3s really wakes up the truck and is a blast. now with the gmade axles you have to be careful with 3s power while you have the front wheels turned. the axles are not very strong in the R1 and they tend to snap right at the end of the dogbone. with 2s you shouldn't have a problem with this, but the truck will be kinda slow and not have a ton of torque. with 3s, just make sure you have the wheels pointed straight if you go full throttle!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150