Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
foam coating for smoother surface and/or strength?

Hi All,

Im pretty new to foam rc airplanes and would like to know if they have some sort of coating you can apply to a foam body for achieving a smooth surface and possible to strengthen for grass landings?

Thanks,
Bean
Stbean is offline Find More Posts by Stbean
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:16 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
I've seen guys wrap their foamies in Ultracote/Monocote...
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,929 Posts
Ultracote definitely works.. If you don't care about the appearance, packing tape can be used as well but it usually looks like hell.

WBPU (water based polyurethane) gives a nice shine...may add a bit of durability. I have used it on EPS with no compatability problems.

Good luck!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:05 PM
I use EXPO and Senior Rates
United States, MI, Custer
Joined Jan 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I've seen guys wrap their foamies in Ultracote/Monocote...
I have never used it but have read some threads on the use. Liquid Sheeting by WOW Airplanes. Take a look at it at the url below.

http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...a6656c11a898f4

You might find some threads on it if you search on the name. The mfg's planes look really great but as I said - I have just read about it.
Rightfly is offline Find More Posts by Rightfly
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Great! Thank you for all your quick responses. I really appreciate it!
Bean
Stbean is offline Find More Posts by Stbean
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Minwax polycrylic will give a nice shine, and stiffen the foam. However, if you dent the foam it will shatter and flake off in that spot.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Planely Addicted
1236 Fremont St. Lancaster, PA 17603-6812
Joined Mar 2005
65 Posts
Stbean
I have 16 nitro planes, but am rather new to foamies myself. I have two Polaris planes that are green on the fuse bottom from grass landings. (depron Foam)
I just finished a Yak55 (EPP foam) from west michigan park flyers and from that build I learned that contact cement can be used for hingeing, but also can be used to smooth the foam surface. So, if you don't have a really large area to smooth, try this. I have and I like it.
There is UHU glue, Welder glue and 'foam-tac' glue, just to name a few. I spread it, let it dry and is smooth. Also makes a good base to stick velcro on a model. My favorite is 'welder' glue. Don't let the name fool you, it has nothing to do with welding.
rc.flyer@comcast.net
Fred Dings, II is offline Find More Posts by Fred Dings, II
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
WITCH HUNTER EXTRAORDINAIRE
USA, FL, Boca Raton
Joined Feb 2001
832 Posts
THIS IS THE BEST STUFF,,,http://www.industrialpolymers.com/ca...-product-list/

it is the same stiuff as liquid sheathing from wow planes but a lot cheaper.. as they are the manufacturer. this stuss is great of fuselages , and its light, for wings looks for laminates on the glider forum do a search for " new stuff"
bushpilotx1 is offline Find More Posts by bushpilotx1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
626 Posts
I cover in low temp iron on covering. I also make the control surface hinges with the covering. It adds strength, protects leading edges,(hangar rash) lessens flexing, and you can cover whatever color you want. Also, its very easy to keep clean. It does add weight, but I feel the benefits far out weight the weight!!! ;-)
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member