Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:25 AM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Aug 2011
14 Posts
May have to bite the bullet if ordering LiPos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikotine View Post
So, I suppose they won...
Just remember, guys, ask HobbyKing to not use SCS Express (especially if you live in Western Europe, as it seems to only affect us). HobbyKing told me themselves to use their support chat right after an order to inform them.
I had a big issue with HK recently, I'd had about 10 parcels delivered before (Air Parcel), containing anything from models through carbon rods, glues and chemicals and LiPos no problem... always paid the VAT to the Czech Post office on delivery ..

Then in July my package, worth about $190 and containing, among other things, loose (i.e. individual, not built-in) LiPos - didn't come within a month or so like all the others, so I had a look at HK site and there was a small note under the order details that the parcel had been returned by Singapore Post because it contained LiPos (they didn't let me know) - I googled a bit and that same thing happened to lots of people worldwide - apparently, someone somewhere decided that loose LiPos are dangerous in air packages [that SORT OF makes sense], but, HK forgot to incorporate that into ther shipping method selection system and (probably to this day), they let you choose all those 'wrong' options even if your order contains LiPos..

I started pestering their support that it was their fault because they offered me that shipping method - four months of copy and paste replies that didn't answer my questions, they said the parcel did not return to them for four months!!!, then I complained and threatened a little and finally got a message that they are shipping the order free of charge via SCS - and you can guess the rest... I got one of these Emails today..

I also thought it was a scam, but after googling a bit it seems that it's just something that happens when you use a particular service (not that I had much choice)... you normally just pay VAT (20% here) and pay it cash at delivery, but they 'do it for you' (or maybe not, maybe they just greased a few hands to let the shipping go through, after all, not all those small packages get 'caught' as someone pointed here) - and then charge extra, around EUR 10 in my case now... probably not much I can do, it's been 4 months + and I just want that parcel now.. I just asked if the charge included any shipping charges as it seems
that is the case and I want to make sure HK pays all shipping, see above...

And the HK support guy proudly informed me that SCS is THE shipper to use when ordering LiPos - well, after receiving that Email, I won't risk ordering LiPos from Asia anymore - the DE warehouse only stocks limited range and is always out of stock (will have to look at UK Warehouse if it's better), but ordering LiPos from Hong Kong is just not worth the risk and the hassle... if you got the support to avoid SCS, you'll probably end up with your parcel returned because of LiPos..

Just my 2 cents'... hope it helps someone avoid a 4 months wait

Matej
Blanik 4801 is offline Find More Posts by Blanik 4801
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:51 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,510 Posts
For Nikotine's eyes only
Zeventien oktober:
bestelling HK bijkomende kost SCS?? oplichting? - MBF

Prettig weekend Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Feb 14, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2011
20 Posts
Delivery in 3-7 days.
I ordered 28th January, shipped 30th.
Yesterday 13th february i got information from scs: they gave forward to DPD courier.
I asked yesterday how long will be the shipping to Hungary to my home: 4-5days. After two weeks, more 4-5 days more.
This is an chinese EXPRESS service, for 35 USD.
DONT CHOOSE SHIPPING METHOD LIKE SCS EXPRESS!!!
G,
gergo75 is offline Find More Posts by gergo75
Old May 14, 2014, 01:59 PM
Launceston UK
Joined Mar 2010
33 Posts
Well today i had the dreaded SCS Express international ltd asking for the VAT payment for my large HK order, by paypal payment, i read around thinking it is a scam, but i realised that they got my order number right as well, only after reading around, it seems it is a great scam, fully out in the open, but nothing much that can be done about it ! ! !

so i paid up , grrrrr

however i will not be placing orders so readily from here on with HK.

like wise, even after paying this the order was very slow to be delivered, it just makes it hurt a little more.
mike00top is offline Find More Posts by mike00top
Last edited by mike00top; May 14, 2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add a bit
Old May 14, 2014, 03:26 PM
United States, NY, East Farmingdale
Joined Dec 2013
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikotine View Post
So, I suppose they won...

Paypal "investigated" my complaint and chose to support Hobbyking in this as apparently all they had to do was prove that they had shipped me the parcel. I actually can understand their decision, because it can't be Hobbyking's fault that their transport company is scamming customers...

So I paid the "tax" to SCS, and received the package. A tax invoice wasn't included, as was to be expected. I paid them through Paypal so I could try retrieving that money again, but I'll throw in the towel.

Just remember, guys, ask HobbyKing to not use SCS Express (especially if you live in Western Europe, as it seems to only affect us). HobbyKing told me themselves to use their support chat right after an order to inform them.
Check your PMs...
HobbyKingCSNYC is offline Find More Posts by HobbyKingCSNYC
Site Sponsor
Old May 16, 2014, 07:04 AM
United Kingdom, Driffield
Joined May 2014
47 Posts
What you are paying is import duty and import vat, plus a charge for collecting and paying these taxes. Expedited shipping seems to attract customs more than standard shipping.
The last time I paid any was an item from the US costing 30. It was processed by parcel force. total charges 32 total cost 62.
mick11 is offline Find More Posts by mick11
Old May 26, 2014, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
Disastrous business attitude

Even thought that Hobbyking is not primarily responsible for such kind of business tricks from subcontracted third parties Hobbyking must be aware of the fact that they will suffer enormous penalty.

I assume not being the only one who fully disagrees to such practices reacting by making use of Paypal customer protection. So the story ends up in a direct business loss for Hobbyking - what certainly can't be part of a success oriented business strategy.

Facts:
I as a customer did not order any services from SCS Support for custom clearance. Accordingly there is not any contractual relationship or anything similar. Therefore SCS Support has no right to charge anything what I never ordered / signed / purchased. Pretty simple.
The trick to closely link SCS custom clearance services to the delivery of ordered Hobbyking goods is indeed illegal respectively criminal.

Own situation:
I got the luck to have my own registered company. We are ordering regularly RC model making products from whole Asia - China, Hongkong, Taiwan.
95% of the transactions work out perfectly well - despite the long delivery time of usually 4 to 5 weeks.
70% of the shipments get straight delivered to our address. The rest arrives at German / Munich custom station, where we have to declare it and pick it up.
I repeatedly got told that custom duties for model making goods - as long as they are not imported as large quantities for business purpose - are for free.
So we only have to pay 19% VAT - but as a company we get this payment back at the end of the year.

Final summary:
Order value: US$ 167,02
Shipment costs: US$ 42.59
Intended SCS custom clearance charges: US$ 42.05
I guess anybody will agree that this ratio is ludicrous and destroying any benefit for ordering goods from Hpbbyking.

So I leave it up to Hobbyking to judge about suitable partners and accepted busiiness procedures from subcontracted parcel service agencies.
As little help for the orientation process two well known rules in business life:
a) the most important customer is the one you already got
b) one annoyed customer equals minimum 10 lost potential clients
jo_loom is offline Find More Posts by jo_loom
Last edited by jo_loom; May 26, 2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Hi.
I would just like to add my 2 pence worth here...

I made an order a few days ago, approx. $580, I selected SCS as it was the only option.

Today I received an email saying duty for 132 Euro is due for this item, same as the above are getting, I was slightly confused as usually you get charged from your own country, in my case the UK.

Anyway, I contacted hobby king, explained the situation, he said, ignore it, I wasn't convinced so i had to explain it again incase he didn't get what the problem was, so i said i've been billed this by SCS and he said to ignore it, and that it was sent by DHL, but tracking was with SCSexpress.com
He advised my parcel will arrive.. but i'm still concerned.

I beleive that SCS do this for everyone in the hope that people pay it! where it's not actually required to be paid, they're just hoping for the quick buck.

People who have been PM-ing others about this, I would appreciate your input too.

many thanks.
ovy88 is offline Find More Posts by ovy88
Old Jun 17, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
Hi, I have just literally ordered using SCS and my total came to $406 i believe, around 256 from what I remember. Hobbyking are saying its just dispatched from their warehouse so i'm just hoping I don't get this email from SCS, I've only just read up about this option today and wishing I chose a different option now! but never mind, i'll post what happens later on whether I pass all of these charges or these fools try to charge me for tax which I shouldn't be paying them for!
MrExtremeBlades is offline Find More Posts by MrExtremeBlades
Old Jun 17, 2014, 05:30 PM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExtremeBlades View Post
Hi, I have just literally ordered using SCS and my total came to $406 i believe, around 256 from what I remember. Hobbyking are saying its just dispatched from their warehouse so i'm just hoping I don't get this email from SCS, I've only just read up about this option today and wishing I chose a different option now! but never mind, i'll post what happens later on whether I pass all of these charges or these fools try to charge me for tax which I shouldn't be paying them for!

It appears that they will charge VAT/DUTY + their charge for the customs clearance on all packages they receive, technically this should be paid as it's imported into the UK and is subject to VAT/DUTY, it's just some items will get through without this charge, but SCS will charge it for all of them, probably making a few buck out of the ones that don't get charged, also mine came from a UK address (shipping label) so it may be that it comes to their hub, then they are charged, they pass on the charges to us the customer.
ovy88 is offline Find More Posts by ovy88
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:22 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,675 Posts
I had a parcel that was worth a couple of hundred quid ('s) and I had to pay the Vat/Tax and yes it was with SCS,as others have said we normally pay once it gets into the UK,SCS wanted the money before it left European Hub so I paid up once I knew it was for real and not a con,now if it had come to the UK there is a 50/50 chance of it getting through with out paying,but with SCS there is no chance as you have to pay them first,it's UK law that we have to pay these charges if it's over 45 or there a bouts I think,at the end of the day the Law is clearly marked out on this,ok i'd rather it of come to the UK first and see if it had gotten through without paying,but on the other hand if it had of got stopped and I had to pay the Tax it would of then taken a couple of extra days to get to me,at least with me paying SCS it was here quicker and no hold ups because of the Tax.

It's not a con it's UK law.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Jun 22, 2014, 08:46 AM
Joined May 2014
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post
It's not a con it's UK law.
Yep, and you will have pay it no matter what carrier you use. if you get caught out by customs
Old Jun 22, 2014, 05:20 PM
Noob
United Kingdom, England, Chester
Joined Feb 2012
30 Posts
I've just been caught out by this. Most of my order was not available in the UK or EU warehouse, only the International one. Order came to 133 including shipping (SCS to UK). Two days later got the email from SCS asking for 34 VAT. Ouch. Some of my bargains are no longer bargains!
Will remember this one for next time.
EvylRat is offline Find More Posts by EvylRat
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:07 AM
Joined May 2014
47 Posts
You would still pay the taxes if you bought in the UK, They are paid by HK on import and passed on to you, hence the difference in price between the warehouses.
When you checkout, tick the box for hobby parts and set the customs declaration to 30%
You will then pay the taxes on the wholesale price which is considerably lower. Also don't forget you pay VAT on carriage costs, so it pays to use the cheapest .