HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Discussion
How to do a t-tail?

Does anyone have a link to a thread that shows how to set up the linkages for a T-tail type vertical stab?Or just any suggestions on how to do it at all, would be much appreciated!
Jake
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,379 Posts
Not a foamie, but on a balsa plane I built awhile ago I made the vertical stab from three layers of balsa with a cable linkage running up through the inside. Works great.

Alternatively, you could mount the elevator servo in the vertical stab and do a direct pushrod linkage.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Elevator in stab is a good one - simplest and most efficient (for the servo) but you must be sure that the model will still balance properlt with servo weight so far back in the tail.

I recently built an Icon A5 - it has a T-tail - I used flexible pushrod systems to get the elevator to work. With the flexrods, you have to be careful not to bend too sharply as it will put a lot of strain on the servo and will slow down your surface movement.
link here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606211

Here's another one with a more mechanical solution - it looks like it works great, but there are a lot of parts and everything is external...
link here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428321

good luck & happy flying!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice