HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL View Post
Anyone else running the Power-Up 400 Zoom from Heads Up RC?

It's only $17 with $2 shipping in the CONUS. A great deal!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail

My Bixler really screams on this motor (with a 40amp ESC) and a 6X4 APC.

Mac
Mac, I ordered the Bix. friday and the 400 zoom, prop, esc yesterday. I am new at this you know. Hope I can handle it ...............b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
steve
Brazil
Joined Nov 2010
239 Posts
I just got my Bixler 1400 and it's flying very nose light. I went 72mm from the leading edge of the wing which seems to put it near the spar or a little behind it. I'm using 2200 35-70C nano tech and have it in the nose with 1" of foam in front. I took out the washers. I also have an APM from diydrones.com right under the wing area along with ESC and receiver 6ch.

I can trim that thing full down on the elevator and it still rises. I'm thinking to put a 3300 3S nanotech in it tomorrow still with the 1" of foam in the front. It fits perfect and will simulate the extra weight I will add later for FPV. Cam and vTx.

Any problem with putting a 3300 3S and where is the balance point? I read some places 60mm from LE and 72mm also and some say just under the spars. I got this with the motor, servos and ESC. 1 servo gave out before first flight and other 3 I'm anxious to change :-o
f11music.com is offline Find More Posts by f11music.com
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
867 Posts
I recorded this FPV flight yesterday with my Bixler.
Bixler RC Plane FPV Ripley Yorkshire Aerial Video (5 min 13 sec)
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Nice vid UK.

I've been flying the Bixler pretty much stock for about a month and it flies well. I'm using a 30A esc and an APC 6 x 4 prop with 3S 2200 mah batts.

I plan on buying another Bixler in kit form and installing a CNC motor mount and an NTM PropDrive 28-36 2200kv motor. Pics below.

I recently purchased the FPV camera mount for the Bixler from HobbyKing and have installed a Tachyon OPS HD camera on a helmet mount to get some video. The camera has 128 degree field of view and has good video quality. Also record with camera sunglasses I've had for a couple years that I used while flying my helicopters.

Here are a couple videos I've recorded. One with my sunglasses, very long at 39 minutes, and one with the Tachyon camera on board. Turn down the volume, there's no pretty music, just raw video.

Bixler Glider 6 8 2012 0001 (38 min 59 sec)

bixler-tachyon ops at school.MOV (12 min 23 sec)

The Bixler is a great flying glider. I'm use to flying helis but it was an easy transition over to powered gliders. I have a couple of big warbirds but it's nice to just be able to easily hand launch the Bixler and very easy to land.

Good luck with your new planes! Not to get off topic but my next plane is the DuraFly Zephyr V70 EDF glider.

Later,

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:34 AM
United Kingdom, York
Joined Apr 2011
867 Posts
That camera mount is a good idea.
RC Flying UK is offline Find More Posts by RC Flying UK
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:42 PM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
tape ???????

Can the v1 Bixler be TAPED together to make servo replacement easy, or to up-grade the motor and esc ???????????.
Is their a post somewhere regarding this ? thx in advance..........
Last edited by b.b.4; Jun 28, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.b.4 View Post
Can the v1 Bixler be TAPED together to make servo replacement easy, or to up-grade the motor and esc ???????????.
Is their a post somewhere regarding this ? thx in advance..........
You can use the CNC mount shown above in my earlier post that allows you to change motors without having to remove it from the fuselage. Costs about $16.
Just google bixler cnc motor mount for info.

As far as changing out the esc, that's down in the fuselage at the front and as long as you have wires with connectors on both ends between the motor and esc, you could just unhook it and change out an esc easily.

Servos are probably the hardest thing to replace inside the fuselage but can be done with some patience.

I don't know if taping the two halves of the fuselage together would be that good of an idea. I guess you could or just glue it together in spots before you tape it where it could be cut back apart easily.

Someone else might have a better idea but I glued mine together and if a servo goes bad internally, I'll figure a way to replace it.

Good luck with it,

Donnie
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Flying UK View Post
That camera mount is a good idea.
Plywood mount for the Bixler can be purchased from HobbyKing for under $4. Just look at the Bixler and down at the bottom where it shows accessories, they have the mount for sale.

Donnie
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Can the v1 Bixler be TAPED together to make servo replacement easy, or to up-grade the motor and esc ?
I didn't glue around the motor area and ran a short length of tape along the top join. If ever I need to change a motor I can cut a slice off on the side of the fuselage that the motor mount isn't glued to when it was manufactured.

The ESC is Velcroed to one side inside and the Rx on the other side.

Otherwise I wouldn't just tape, I glued mine and expect the servos to last a long time as they have very little load on them. It is only the elevator servo that gets much work so again only one servo and I'll cut it out if ever needed to.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:47 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Plenty of people have taped Bixler clones (MPX EasyStar) fuselages together without problems. Search the EZ* threads.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Seems like it would be harder to pull off all that tape you'd use to put the fuse together than it would be to just spot glue the fuse in several places.

I have packing tape on the bottom of my Bixler and around the nose to keep the foam from getting damaged on landings and that stuff is a pain to pull off.

Donnie
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:06 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Double sided tape between the fuz halves, not packing tape outside. Its how MPX hold the RTF EZ* together.
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I see, two sided tape. I suppose that would work.

Thanks for the info.

Donnie
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
b.b.4
Joined Jan 2012
78 Posts
Rates

Does anyone use Dual rates and expo to fly the BIX ???? If so, what do you recommend ?
I did double sided tape on mine, with CF tube on the bottom and strapping tape from over the nose to the tail. Epox on stab and elev.. VERY solid fuse.,, b.b.4
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:55 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone use Dual rates and expo to fly the BIX ???? If so, what do you recommend ?
I did double sided tape on mine, with CF tube on the bottom and strapping tape from over the nose to the tail. Epox on stab and elev.. VERY solid fuse.,, b.b.4

I setup all of my planes with dual rates on both Ailerons and Elevator, but it's really only so I can safely hand the controller to someone else. also, I use lots of negative expo on ailerons on both low and high rate, which works great to decrease sensitivity and increase precision near center stick, but still allows aggressive control response when wanted by simply banging the stick to the stops. Particularly on ailerons, I like all of my models regardless of type to roll axially as if they are chucked up in a drill motor!

Individual settings are just that, it depends on your personal mechanical setup and your personal abilities, so it's really difficult to suggest computer radio settings for rates and exp, what works for one person could be a fatal crash for someone else.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap