HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2014, 02:34 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Discussion
capsizing ideas

Right , I'm here where the water experts are.
I would like some advice please.
I've used my HZ Supercub on floats on and off for a couple of years and have experienced capsizes from time to time but not been too concerned since with a quick rinse in fresh water and a good dry, alls been well.
Now I'm fpv-ing it and have delicate equipment on board I'm really not wanting to give it a salt water bath.
Occasionally for no apparent reason, it would suddenly squirrel off course on take off and if the wind got under one wing tip it would capsize and then sit in the normal nose down-tail up pose.
It appears that with such a light plane you really can't afford for the wind to ever get under a wing , especially while taxiing off the apparent wind direction.
This is a pain when you need to steer it around any obstacles or are trying to get it back to you.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried making some sort of small wing tip floats to stop the plane from going over? Any reason's for not trying this - or any other suggestions would be gratefully received, thanks
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:41 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,688 Posts
How about a watertank in eacht float with an opening in the step and a vent hole in the top. When the plane is on floating on the water the tank fils and makes the floats more heavy and thus the plane is not easy blown over. When you start the takeoff run and the plane gets on step the water can exit the floats through the hole in the step.

Read this on a german forum , no experience with it myself.

Cheers,

Bart

Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:34 AM
Joined Jun 2005
59 Posts
From the overhead view it looks like your floats are too close together. A wider separation will help, but probably won't stop all.

Ralph
Seaplane is online now Find More Posts by Seaplane
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:38 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane View Post
From the overhead view it looks like your floats are too close together. A wider separation will help, but probably won't stop all.

Ralph
Agreed - that will help with the lateral stability. With floats that close together, your plane will tend to capsize when turning downwind or in an unintentional cross-wind take-off or landing.

But in my experience, the squirreling is caused by the front of the floats being in the water when on the step. If you hold up elevator during the take-off run and release just as you leave the water this should solve the problem. It keeps the front of the floats out of the water and lets the plane run on the step and the back of the floats, so it is directionally stable, like an arrow.

I really do notthink that tip floats will help what is a fairly common problem.
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2013
248 Posts
A very large wing (lightly loaded) and light aircraft altogether is similar to the problem with my Kadet Senior on floats. Otherwise minor cross-winds will cause it to dump a wing in the water, and it will stay there until I can power into or downwind. I don't know of an easy way to remedy that.

As far as it veering directionally on takeoff, I have found this tendency can be caused by a toe-out of the float noses and remedied by adjusting the float noses so they toe-in slightly. On most of my planes, the toe-in amounts to well under 1/2 inch per nose from the float center line parallel to the fuse center line. Maybe worth a try.
Lambro is offline Find More Posts by Lambro
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Cub Capsize

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions I value your opinions
I can live with the occasional "squirelly" take offs as long as when aborted I then don't end up upside down
I'm sure widening the spread of the floats would help , only the standard float kit doesn't allow for any adjustments .
I may codge up some sort of temporary outer float arrangement just to try but they probably will upset the flying quality of the plane .
Will report back my findings - if of interest
In the mean time I'm going to bore you with another vid. I was pleased to get her back after this!
nicktwinnflying Super cub fpv float plane (10 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2013
248 Posts
Hokie Smoke, what a great cross-country flight, video and video landing! Amazingly well done.
Lambro is offline Find More Posts by Lambro
Old Aug 23, 2014, 02:11 AM
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambro View Post
Hokie Smoke, what a great cross-country flight, video and video landing! Amazingly well done.
Thankyou, there was quite a large element of "luck"
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:48 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,041 Posts
Just a guess, but was a lot of that video flown out of visual sight of the model ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Aug 24, 2014, 02:53 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,041 Posts
By the way, you don't get the capsizing problem so much with a flyingboat

(The Sunderland in my avatar).
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Just a guess, but was a lot of that video flown out of visual sight of the model ?
No- I could see it all of the time- on my screen
Old Aug 25, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
By the way, you don't get the capsizing problem so much with a flyingboat

(The Sunderland in my avatar).
I must say I'm tempted by a "flying boat" but what are they like in choppy water?
I've watched several vid's of flying boats where the props seem to chop the water unless its pretty calm, is that your experience?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:31 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,041 Posts
I suppose it depends on the model, but most will have the prop(s) at a similar height off the water to a seaplane.
Fitting hull strakes may help, along with the hull design. The only slight problem with flying boats is the wing floats possibly digging in. Though most modelers now angle the nose of the floats up to minimize that problem.

Sunderland June2.wmv (4 min 46 sec)
Old Today, 10:28 AM
Joined Oct 2012
681 Posts
Well it had to happen
The wind was offshore and I wanted to take off as quick as possible so what do you think went wrong?
It looks -in slow motion- like one float unsticks before the other and caused a swerve which happened too quick for me to deal with.
Or- could it be due to motor torque from the 480 which I probably had on full throttle?
Fortunately the fpv tx which was totally submerged survived again, but the no16 cam now won't record. It still gives video out though.
Other than that she was unscathed.
The fpv tx was sprayed with the product in the pic about 3months ago, following a similar scenario , and has been dumped in the sea several times since.
I wonder if I could spray the inside of an 808 keychain cam to protect it, has anyone tried with a similar product?
This H20 product I've used seems to have disappeared, no one seems to sell it any more and I've run out
nicktwinnflying (0 min 33 sec)