HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:29 AM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,875 Posts
Discussion
Tips for hot weather contests

Many parts of the country have hot to very hot weather at their contests. I thought it might be useful to have a thread on how best to deal with this for both the contestants and the organizers.

Just to get things started:

What should the organizer do to prepare for hot weather? Lots of water, of course. Sports drinks? Additional time between rounds? More 7 min taks (where appropriate)?

For contestants:

Clothing suggestions: Ditch the jeans and t-shirts? What works better? Do pajamas really have to be colorful, or would white be best?

Anything else that may be relevant.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:01 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,668 Posts
I personally found that switching from typical cotton t shirt to synthetic t shirts has helped a lot. and wearing a wide brim hat helps too.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:04 AM
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Nov 2003
1,169 Posts
All of the hot weather training I have taken as always mentioned water, lots of water. Its amazing how much water is lost on a hot day, specially in dry climates! Gatorade is typically not as important although depends on the person. Obviously light weight colored clothing. If you are not flying/timing, its best to be resting in shade (rehydrating). The best method of dealing with the heat is attempting to acclimate as much as possible prior to the competition. This is tough to do for a quick weekend contest but can help a lot.

Probably the biggest thing to do though is to watch out for your fellow fliers. Heat exhaustion is a possiblity and we should all be watching out for eachother.

James
hohensej is offline Find More Posts by hohensej
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Information
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2004
3,245 Posts
Absolutely no cotton.
Light colored, preferably white, synthetic breathable, fast drying shorts and shirt (dri-star, etc.)
Wide brimmed hat.
Bullfrog sunscreen.
UV block sunglasses, preferably polarized.
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. The rule when backpacking that I use for flying is "clear and copious". If you are not peeing, or pee is yellow you are already dehydrated. So as long as you are clear and copious you are staying hydrated.
I've had numerous cases of dehydration with my scouts and you can go from ok to dehydrated in just a few minutes.

--mickey
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:45 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
I think this would be a god place for someone to post what are the signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration and what should one do if they find themselves or others in this situation.

thanks

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:52 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I think this would be a god place for someone to post what are the signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration and what should one do if they find themselves or others in this situation.

thanks

Frank
Google is your friend;

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dehydration-adults

Mark
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:03 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,732 Posts
Also don't forget about your DLG. Carbon wings and fuses exposed to direct sun will heat up and can get very hot which is not good for the epoxy. When flying they stay cooler with the wind. Sorry sunscreen is not recommended on carbon skins.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:27 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,714 Posts
I spent a couple decades competing at a high level outdoors in all sorts of weather.

High heat plus high humidity is a risk due to the body's inability to cool adequately. Shade is a good thing.

High heat plus low humidity, particularly at altitude, can cause dehydration rather quickly. One used to lower altitudes and more moderate humidity will automatically not drink enough to stay hydrated. Ask me how I know... I did it to myself, mildly, at the USOTC Colorado Springs years ago. It took me about three days to fully recover.

These are some signs to watch for, in others:

Lack of attention, listfullness, sluggish behavior or response, possibly talking more quietly than usual or less than usual - general appearance of low energy and low alertness level.

In oneself:

Feeling of tiredness, mild exhaustion, ambivalence - lack of caring, lack of focus, lack of energy, lack of purpose.

These signs will show up in people before more serious signs show up.

One of my friends at a national championship got into trouble once. She thought she was shouting at me to help her. She was barely mumbling, and not particularly coherent at that. She was sitting in her chair, and to outwards appearances simply looked tired and lethargic. It was 104 degrees, 95% humidity. There was plenty of water available, and she was not without a few years of experience at this. But it was likely the first time she'd had to be out all day for a week competing in these conditions. Thankfully I figured out what was going on, before the situation became worse.

We pulled her from the competition and got her to the A/C med van.

Gerald

PS - Once she recovered enough to be coherent, she was pissed at me. She thought she had been shouting at me for quite a while...
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Last edited by G_T; Jul 11, 2014 at 04:57 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:17 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,291 Posts
Here in AZ I wear a white long sleeve button down shirt as a sun screen, with a dry wicking undershirt beneath it. I usually wear shorts, but I think Pocket_Rockets (Phillip B) cargo pans would be a great option.

Breathable is always good, and a wide brimmed hat with perhaps a neck scarf is mandatory.

Above 104* it is just hot, no matter what the humidity. Ours is in the 30% in the monsoon season. It would be really unbearable at 90+%.

I cannot consume straight Gatorade, so I usually thin it by at least 50%. I will go though many quarts of mostly water in a day outside. If you are not needing to pee, you are not drinking enough.

Also, drink lots of water the day before, to be well hydrated before you start.

BP
bbbp is offline Find More Posts by bbbp
Last edited by bbbp; Jul 11, 2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:21 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbp View Post
Also, drink lots of water the day before, to be well hydrated before you start.

BP
Yep, when I was riding bicycles a lot...100 K's the day before I forced myself to drink lots of water. Had to get up to pee during the night multiple times. Think it helped the next day though.

Mark
Soarmark is online now Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:40 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,768 Posts
When you get into the shade, take your hat off. It'll help your head (and therefore your body) cool off a little.
MattN is offline Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:47 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
Here is a link to my 2009 thread when I got really Dehydrated. Two days later I went to the emergency room at local hospital, was misdiagnosed, sent home, and passed out in my doctors office the next day. I was very dehydrated and confused, and seeing things that weren't there. It was 3 days before I finally got to the Doctor's office where they quickly figured out my condition. Looking back on it later, I could clearly see all the signs of dehydration, but at the time I wasn't thinking clearly. It also left me with a minor irregular heart beat. I have a pill for that.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1073204

walt

PS I finally figured out that all those crazy clothes that George and Charlie wear in the Summer are not just for show. I don't think I could handle being that covered up in 90 + Degree humid Georgia weather though.
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Last edited by ROOSWH; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:51 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,030 Posts
Staying hydrated is super important. Here it is always 30-40C for about 4 or 5 months of the year, at 70-100% humidity, very easy to get heat strokes or dehydration. Right now I need to drink 4 - 5 liters of sports drink or water each session to stay healthy.

Wide brim hat helps although I only have sports caps right now. Being in the shade helps.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
309 Posts
Nutrition is a key component. Over hydration can deplete nutrients. This was proven on a fire in CA.
mgallian is online now Find More Posts by mgallian
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:49 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,875 Posts
Gerald,

I just read the list of symptoms to my wife. She got up and got me a quart of water.

Just sitting at me computer, in my normal, confused state.

Just funning, good info.

I have noticed, from pics on tv, the internet and conversations with military, that the folks who live in the middle east, tend to cover everything up. Not as a religious issue, but better to be protected, than not, I'd guess.

Still waiting to hear from George or Charlie, whether jammas need to be in wild color prints or not.

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO