HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by D_FAST, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Gallery
de Havilland Sea Vixen Drawings

Very much a work in progress.

pictures soon
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Once completed i will release these to the public as drawings/cross sections only.
It will have no duct work, spars,edf placements etc.. nothing rc related.
As this I will be tinkering with it for some time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Looks good, will be following.
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
///
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by D_FAST; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
83 Posts
Could you offer it in an alternative format? DXF maybe? That'd be handier for me. Nice work
arrowking is offline Find More Posts by arrowking
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
That's amazing work D_FAST. Same request as arrowking please - DXF?
It would be difficult to get these lasercut in the PDF format
I'm toying with the idea of building a foamie from your cross sections.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Just read your Avanti thread D, fantastic build method.

It was probably in the one of your posts on that thread, but I was wondering how do you align the individual sections with each other? I have seen in other threads guys use one or two centering holes in each section and then run a rod/s to align before gluing. How did you do yours?

Also just an idea regarding reinforcement and covering. I've just completed a slope soarer (zillion pics on my blog) and have used fiberglass rods (or carbon if wanting to save weight) cut into the foam and then glued. This was then sprayed with a spray contact adhesive (3M 70 or 90) and then glass fiber layed on, then sprayed again etc. This was all on EPP foam (not EPS) and is a relatively heavy covering method but my gawd it is as strong as brick shite house. Also being sprayed on it goes on evenly and can even be sanded smooth. Final covering is lam film and/or signwriters vinyl. Apart from the EPP foam, its a cheap build method :-) The advantage over resin is that the surface stays "solidly rubbery" so its very bash resistant. My wing using this method has done cartwheels and epic nose-in's (I'm learning to slope) yet it still looks good. Just thought I'd share one of my build experiences - seems to complement your methods.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Just read your Avanti thread D, fantastic build method.

It was probably in the one of your posts on that thread, but I was wondering how do you align the individual sections with each other? I have seen in other threads guys use one or two centering holes in each section and then run a rod/s to align before gluing. How did you do yours?

Also just an idea regarding reinforcement and covering. I've just completed a slope soarer (zillion pics on my blog) and have used fiberglass rods (or carbon if wanting to save weight) cut into the foam and then glued. This was then sprayed with a spray contact adhesive (3M 70 or 90) and then glass fiber layed on, then sprayed again etc. This was all on EPP foam (not EPS) and is a relatively heavy covering method but my gawd it is as strong as brick shite house. Also being sprayed on it goes on evenly and can even be sanded smooth. Final covering is lam film and/or signwriters vinyl. Apart from the EPP foam, its a cheap build method :-) The advantage over resin is that the surface stays "solidly rubbery" so its very bash resistant. My wing using this method has done cartwheels and epic nose-in's (I'm learning to slope) yet it still looks good. Just thought I'd share one of my build experiences - seems to complement your methods.

Cheers.
hope the picture explains how it all lines up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by D_FAST; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Hey D thanks for the very detailed reply, I hope the illustration did not take you too long!

I figured that was how you did it, so nice to have that confirmed. As I'm a lazy so-and-so and want to speed the build process up, I'm looking to use laser cutting for the templates. Unfortunately this means I wouldn't be able to use the DXF's you've posted as the laser cuts every line it sees, so of course there would be lots of 1/4'd templates as they are at the moment.

Because of this I need to pursue the centre reference rod/s idea. I also need to design in the EDF (or EDF's - plural) and cabin etc. Given this would you mind sharing your SKP file? I would need to brush up on my Sketchup skills but in the long run the more this is designed on a PC the less time spent cutting I would of course share-back the final design with full credit to yourself for all your work in converting this classic plane from 2D to 3D
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,060 Posts
You can download the model from the google warehouse.
I have taken no credit for this model. I just confirm scale appearance, and then use my sketch up knowledge to edit/correct/and create something i can develop further to rc model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Thanks D.

PM3D has done an amazing job on that Sea Vixen model!

For ref here's the URL: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...66&prevstart=0