SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Mar 2009
183 Posts
Discussion
which plane should i get?

I wanted to get a not so big airplane as my first plane to fly around big baseball field to learn on and start adding fpv stuff to it
don't want a super beginner one though.

i hate the look of the pusher like planes like the easystar

i really like the Dynam grand cruiser. but would it work? flying time like others?

is not, is multiplex twinstar ii is my only other option? is the twinstar too old already for parts and what not.

i read lots of good threads here but still confused
10inja is offline Find More Posts by 10inja
Last edited by 10inja; Jun 16, 2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: didn't finish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
This comes up a lot. Either a beginner plane, or lots of crashes and frustration, giving up on flying. Your choice.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:04 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
If you're worried about what the plane looks like, you're still stuck in the LoS mindset.
You can't see the plane while FPV piloting, so it doesn't matter one bit what it looks like.
What matters is that you have a clear view forward, and planes like the EZ*/Bixler/etc and Skywalker
have lots of support from the FPV vendors and community. Twins add a level of complexity
and power consumption without increasing reliability (most twins cannot fly on one motor,
contrary to expectations).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:56 PM
I Like Popcorn
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Oct 2009
2,024 Posts
As Daemon said, you just can't go wrong with a EZ*/Bixler/etc or Skywalker.
I have been flying for nearly 30 years now and love my E* - even though you may class this as a beginner plane its still one of the best all rounders and a solid platform to learn with and then kit out for FPV.

flylite is offline Find More Posts by flylite
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:12 PM
Noord Holland
Joined Oct 2007
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
If you're worried about what the plane looks like, you're still stuck in the LoS mindset.
You can't see the plane while FPV piloting, so it doesn't matter one bit what it looks like.
What matters is that you have a clear view forward, and planes like the EZ*/Bixler/etc and Skywalker
have lots of support from the FPV vendors and community. Twins add a level of complexity
and power consumption without increasing reliability (most twins cannot fly on one motor,
contrary to expectations).

ian

+1

Rob
rob38 is offline Find More Posts by rob38
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,828 Posts
Bixler, or what I started out on, the trusty AXN clouds fly!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
When I go to the field, there are folks flying scale planes which is lots of fun, but the real excitement is when they put on my passenger goggles and experience my fairly ugly FPV planes.

For a green beginner, I'd say get one of the new Parkzone micro Cubs with the lights and flaps, then either get a Mosquito and put a micro FPV unit on it, or get an Easystar-clone for FPV.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Jun 2010
7 Posts
The AXN Clouds Fly Floater Jet is in my opinion the sleekest looking Easystar clone.
CptEagle is offline Find More Posts by CptEagle
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Mar 2009
183 Posts
I think you're all right , no need to make things complicated,

so, I'm thinking of those easystar II or the bixler or the Eaglewing or the like

hobbyking has some good deals like the bixler ready to go for $100 or so, what do you all think of that? is that going to be bad electronics? shall I get the kit and order better electronics?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,267 Posts
Bixler PNP is great, but I strongly recommend adding a 2nd wing spar - the OEM one breaks,
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Maleny
Joined Jul 2009
376 Posts
don't get the eaglewing.. flies terribly. the sirius on bevrc is its v2
hwat rc is offline Find More Posts by hwat rc
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Mar 2009
183 Posts
but the skywalker flies so much better - on realflight 6

i'm so confused
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:40 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10inja View Post
but the skywalker flies so much better - on realflight 6

i'm so confused
What's confusing?
You said you wanted a "not so big" plane. That's why people aren't suggesting the Skywalker.
It is a bigger plane. It takes a bigger motor, bigger batteries, etc.
It is purpose designed for FPV (unlike all the others suggested) and it flies well, easy to
balance with different battery configurations and the big fuse makes it really easy
to install FPV gear.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
318 Posts
axn clouds fly 100% i learned with it myself before getting into fpv .. Now i have one as my fpv plane ..cheap easy to repair & plenty of fun .. not sure if you get bmi planes over there but the arrow is 10% bigger than the axn cf & flys just as well . ps that pusher prop will save you smashing the hell out of the prop & or motor on your ruff landings ... There will be a few
wayneuk is offline Find More Posts by wayneuk